View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The feel of the cards
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:56 am 
Penguin

I had the most amazing experience this morning, I just had to share it here. Yesterday I received "The Royal Road to Card Magic". In my initial scan through the book, I noticed the section on the "Charlier Pass" aka the one-handed cut. I've always been fascinated with this move and dove into the instructions. After about an hour of completely frustrating practice, I simply couldn't do the move. It seemed my fingers were about 1/4 inch too short to make it happen, so I gave up for the evening. When I got up this morning, I decided to give it another try. Looking at my hand contort trying to do the pass was painful, so I sat in a chair, put my head back and closed my eyes while practicing the move. I couldn't believe it. After about 10 MINUTES of focusing on how the cards "felt" in my hand while executing the move, I could do it with EASE...not at speed, nor cleanly mind you, but I could do it without the cramping hand contortions I went through while concentrating on the mechanics of the move.

My point is this: get to know how your cards feel as you're executing sleights. Get to know how the cards will react, how they slide against each other, how they move when your fingers contact them. Play your cards like an instrument, like Clapton or Hendrix or any other great musician. Clapton doesn't think in mechanics like "OK, I have to play an A which is this string and this fret, then I have to slide up to an F# which is that string and that fret". He knows his instrument intimately and can focus on the emotion of playing rather than the mechanics. We should all strive to do the same with cards.

Post subject: Re: The feel of the cards
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:37 pm 
Penguin

jhopkins213 wrote:
He knows his instrument intimately and can focus on the emotion of playing rather than the mechanics. We should all strive to do the same with cards.

Well stated....Bravo! 8)

Post subject: or
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:45 pm 
Penguin

Or maybe... your hands grew with the great concentration you had in that 10 minutes of down time!!!!! NOW THAT'S MAGIC!!!! No but seriously you are right, knowing how your deck feels is half the battle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:08 pm 
Penguin

yeah i was thinking the same thing about other moves like the glide. i don't have to think about it anymore, i just do it! i didn't have much trouble learning the charlier cut, but i know what you mean.....i does seem a little easier when you just shut your eyes and FEEL the cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:38 pm 
Penguin

yeah i got that book for my birthday (6-30) and i tried to use the over hand shuffle to retain the bottom card and was having trouble. i tried it today and i'm like a pro. I think it does have something to do with getting a feel for the cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:41 am 
born to perform.

I'v also noticed, that if I'm struggeling with a move, I leave it for a day & when I come back to it, I find it easier to preform, like my brain has had time to assimilate the information properly & is passing the correct thought paterns to my hand 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:45 pm 
Penguin

sorry to say this in an exclusive card forum, but i did the same thing when i was learning the coin roll. i can actually do it better with my eyes shut. :? whenever i look at it, it's like i lose my concentration or something......anyway

Post subject: inpiration for the people.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:29 pm 
Penguin

spoken like a true magician!
bravo.