View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coin resources
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:11 pm 
Penguin

I have only been involved in magic for several months, but really enjoy and focus on coin magic. Here are some of the resources that I have found very helpful.

Books/Lecture notes:

Modern Coin Magic by JB Bobo
Expert Coin Magic by David Roth
Coin Magic by Richard Kaufman
Anything published by David Neighbors

Videos/DVDs:

Expert Coin Magic Made Easy series by David Roth
Complete Introduction to Coin Magic by Michael Ammar
Easy to Master Money Miracles series by Michael Ammar
Revolutionary Coin Magic by Jay Sankey
Basic Coin Magic series by David Stone

Websites:

Dan Watkin's Coin Vanish: http://www.coinvanish.com
The Coin Purse: http://www.coinmagic.com

For serious knucklebuster/coin workers:

Palms of Steel DVDs by Curtis Kam vols. 1,2, & 3
Knuckle Busters manuscripts by Reed McClintock vols. 1,2, & 3
Coin Ovations & Coin Patriot DVDs by Reed McClintock
The Coinjurer DVD by David Neighbors
Coins on Edge manuscript by Kainoa Harbottle

Gaffed Coins (in order of excellence and expense):

Todd Lassen
Roy Kueppers
Johnson Magic Products

If that isn't enough to bankrupt you and keep you busy for a while, feel free to PM me. :)

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:39 pm 
Penguin

Excellent posting! Why does it seem like all the coin guys are so methodical?!! Only kidding, of course! This really is excellent, Scott. Nice job and thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:34 pm 
Penguin

Thanks Gary!

I guess we coin workers have to be methodical and organized if we are ever going to successfully repel the evil horde of purveyors of pasteboard prestidigitation. 8)

Actually, it is more likely my career in computer networking and teaching.

I just thought that my list might save some people a lot of the time I spent researching coin magic.

You really can't go wrong with any of the resources I posted. I just wish I could afford all of them. Particularly the Lassen coins. They are fantastic!

Catch you later.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:54 pm 
Penguin

Your list is pretty complete. It got me thinking about coin magic again, and I pulled down my Coin Magic and Roth Expert Coin Magic last night and thought about pulling together a 3 or 4 trick routine in coins. So, you got me thinking about coins!

Are you at all familiar with Tony Slydini's work with coins? In case you are not, he has a wonderful, mutliphase Coins Thru the Table routine based on Hang Ping Chein, his Imp Pass (David Roth has a section on this in his book, I think), Revolve Vanish, and some lapping. It starts with 6 coins and an English Penny and eventually gets down to one coin. The One Coin Routine is truely breathtaking. The best description of this that I know of is in The Best of Syldini ... And More by Karl Fulves, but all of the routine is also fully described in Slydini Encores, though that book is out of print. These effects are really nice when seated at a table, and, of course, Slydini was the master of timing and misdirection and these effects show this aspect of Slydini at his very best. Anyway, in case you weren't aware of this, I thought you might be interested.

I also read your post in a different forum on developing a routine. Very good. I have just begun to really think about theory, presentation, and routining. That is a whole new and important world I am beginning to read about and explore. It was nice to see someone else here thinking about similar things. Maybe the good folks at Penguin would be willing to put up a separate section on theory. Hopefully, there would be some interest? It would be enjoyable to talk about, and interesting to review different combinations of tricks and routines with one another. Anyway, just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:31 pm 
Penguin

Thanks alot I am thinking about buying some coin stuff and your post will definetley help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:54 pm 
Penguin

I like card routines, but there is something about coin magic that has always fascinated me.

The resources I posted just seemed to be what many of the serious coin workers find as valuable.

I hope it helps you out.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:12 pm 
Penguin

i think the coin listing is fabulous. i do mostly street magic and up close coin magic is great for this. i also think that magicians are performers or entertainers. therefore, i think that "accepting donations" for magic is appropriate.

having said that....i find it is fantastic to ask for a coin from someone and do something spectacular with it. i find people, when amazed and dazzled, will most often let you keep the borrowed coin.

i'm not out to make a lot of money and rule the world but i will usually get enough in a short amount of time to buy a new effect. so basically, i think that your list of coin magic is great and i found out that i don't have all of the materials you mentioned. thanks again.

Post subject: Coin Encyclopedia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:05 am 
Penguin

I have bobo's hard back modern coin magic, but was looking at getting some dvd's. Rubenstein has a three volume coin encyclopedia set I'm assuming is pretty similar to Daryl's card magic encyclopedia. Does anyone have it, and is it any good?