Imageshack is down so I don't have any detailed pictures to help with the explanation.
Twelve easy steps for making your very own avatar:
1. Find a picture you want to use as your avatar, right click on it and select 'copy.'
2. Open up 'paint' listed in your computer's accessories.
3. Click on the dotted square in the top right hand corner of the toolbar.
4. Right click on the white portion of the window and select 'paste.'
5. Now that you have your desired picture in view, we need to resize it.
6. On your keyboard in the bottom left hand corner there is a button that reads 'Ctrl.' Push that button and the letter 'e' at the same time.
7. Change the highlighted number to '80.' Do this to the other number as well.
8. Go to 'File' and select 'save.'
9 You can name it whatever you want, the tricky part is how to save it to the right category.
10. After you have the name typed in the box, type in a period after it and then 'png' right after that. Example: robert's pic.png
Now save it.
11. Go to your Penguin Profile
and scroll all the way down and click the button 'Browse.'
12. Go through your pictures and find the photo you just made. Double click on it and the picture box should disappear with the photo's URL in the box next to the button 'Browse.' Click the 'Submit' button and BOOM! You have an avatar!