View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A few Questions -- Urgent
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:10 pm 
Penguin

I have three questions relating to Kid shows...

1st question- Out of the listed tricks which should I use as opener and closer

1) Cut And Restored Rope
2) Zombie
3) Multiplying Sponge Balls
4) Appearing Cane
5) Stratosphere
6) Pb+J Illusion
7) Magic Coloring Book
8 ) Vanishing/Appearing Hankerchief
9) Invisible deck(Kids 9-11 only)
10) Mouth Coils
11) Slush Powder
12) Hummingbird card
13) 2 Dollar Window (Change 1$ bill "magically" into 1$ bill with signature on it)

Thats all I have for the tricks. Please let me know what should be used as closerand opener for kid shows... I need help.

2nd Question- Which tricks could I use Flash paper/cotton in (I have flint flasher)

3rd Question- Do I wear a Suit or More casual clothing for a kids show?

Thanks for all the help...I really need it... I am doing my first volunteer shows in a few weeks...Again Thanks a lot!!!

Regards, Kirby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:17 pm 
born to perform.

id say hummingbird would be a good opener to break the ice. Also, iwouldnt use fire at a kids show, but if u rally want to that wud be a really cool opener to jus shoot sparks out of your hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:17 pm 
Penguin

for a kids show i'd wear a nice long and wide sleaved jacket for fancy/comical/stereotypical effect rather than unimpressive and underwhelming casual clothing. You want to stand out. Role a red silk into a rose shape and produce it back into a silk for kids, have openers of that nature. Go into rope tricks and much more impressive ones once you have their attention. The clothing will help get this attention. Use alot of TT work for kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:40 pm 
Penguin

wow, 1st post without bashing anyone! congrats kungfu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:12 pm 
born to perform.

Well it isn't my opinion because I haven't done many shows, but i would open with a nice bit of patter how you don't look much like a magician and how you don't have a wand or cane. Then make both appear? Thats what I do and kids love it. 2nd I don't really think fire would be the best thing for a kids show, but if you MUST then I guess it would be none. I don't see really much that could use flash paper/cotton. I believe you should wear a suit. It would be professional looking and nice unless you plan to be goofy then wear a shirt with a tux on it I guess. I wore something nice and I know many do so you will have to make you own desicion.

-Mike

P.S If you want to add some flare use the paper when you see fit. But I really don't reccomend it.

Post subject: Re: A few Questions -- Urgent
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:11 pm 

Orpheus27 wrote:
I have three questions relating to Kid shows...

1st question- Out of the listed tricks which should I use as opener and closer
... Thats all I have for the tricks. Please let me know what should be used as closerand opener for kid shows... I need help.

2nd Question- Which tricks could I use Flash paper/cotton in (I have flint flasher)

3rd Question- Do I wear a Suit or More casual clothing for a kids show?
Thanks for all the help...I really need it... I am doing my first volunteer shows in a few weeks...Again Thanks a lot!!!

Regards, Kirby

Question 1 What tricks are your best ones, those are you opener and closers. the ones you do best.
Question 2. If you use flash paper/cotton in a kids show, you should have your head examined. It is one of the dumber things to do. Kids see this and will think it is ok to play with fire. Remember little kids DON'T THINK
Question 3. That depends on your character. Is he a stage magi or a street magi.

Post subject: opening tricks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:48 pm 
born to perform.

Orpheus,
Before you go into your magic tricks you should always have some "warm ups" to show the kids that you are fun and to get them warmed up to you.
I start out by introducing myself and then tell them that we want to make sure that we aren't missing anyone so they don't miss out on all the fun. I then tell them that I am going to shout out "Who is all here!" and if you are here raise your hand and shout me. Then you do it, then you tell them it sounds as if they are here but to make sure You are going to shout "Who is not here yet" and if you are NOT here raise your hand and shout out me. You'd be suprised how many raises their hands. It gets them giggling. I then have them shout their names out. I then tell them that I don't know anything about all my new friends and that I am going to ask them some questions and as soon as they know the answer to raise their hands. Start out with "How many of you likes Pizza, How many of you likes birthday parties etc. The last question is "how many of you are bad girls and boys, several will raise their hands then pull them down. Of course you laugh with them and tell them you were only kidding.
It gets them warmed up to you and gets them to follow your instructions and shows that it will be fun to follow what you want to do. Sorry this got so long, but I think you get my idea.
Sluggo

Last edited by sluggo on Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: tricks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:02 pm 
born to perform.

Orpheus,
I forgot, your closing trick should be your best one.
You start with your least and build with your better ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:41 am 
Penguin

Thanks all, Sluggo...sounds like you have as much fun as the kids do haha
I like the idea of warming em up to me...I'll try and do something along the lines you said...great stuff :D and as far as clothing goes, I simply am just gonna wear a suit... Can do some cool tt magic with it. Also has many pockets to have stuff hidden... Dont think I need funny clothes to make the kids laugh. dont think I have any anyways... :? Umm For opening and closing Im not exactly sure what I would do...As far as performing the tricks...Im fine, all the tricks are pretty easily performed. I think I'll open with Appearing cane, saying how I dont look all that much like a magician, and maybe do a little tt magic.. No Idea for a closing trick... Well, again thanks for all the help... Great Ideas!

:shock: -Kirby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:57 pm 
Penguin

The zombie would make a good closer of what you have listed.