View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: For All You School Magicians
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:47 pm 
Penguin

This is a topic that will help you forever, all you kids that do illusions at school. STOP. Kids are simple minded and think they know everything at the same time so and easy way to avoid being heckled (not 100% of the time) is to do tricks to adults. Why you ask.
a) an adult will not come and just assult you( grab your deck, hand, shirt ...ect.
b) they will understand trick(99% of the time)
c) its always better the entertain someone alot older than you
d) job oportunities
e) praise
and the best reason of all
f) kids get mad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:32 am 

I wasn't heckled in school. If you know the people you're performing for and have decent crowd control abilities, performing in school is great and a lot of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:58 am 
Penguin

But most kids don't have the kind of control you're talking about, Exodus, to be able to handle themselves well in the war-zone for magic that is school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:03 am 

IF they jump at you, throw a Fireball (Flash Paper) at them. My teacher didn't care if I used fire as long as I didn't pull out torches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:07 am 
Penguin

i was never heckled in school, but if you do show a trick the wrong person, they can be insulted that they cant figure it out (more of a self esteem issue that they didnt see how it was done) but othe rwise its not a bad idea for pracitce, choose the audience wisely

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:10 am 
Penguin

i do however agree that performing for adults if you are younger is much more beneficial, its more true to life as to what your audience will be later on, and you will get constructive criticism rather than heckled

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:38 pm 

If any of you do the gaffed 3 Card Monte that requires you to make the gaff, you'll know it if you do it, try that. I used that for the guy that was heckling my girl and myself and he shut up and walked off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:27 pm 
Penguin

If you have crowed control you dont have that problem, Ive never been heckled twice by the same person, I know who and who not to show magic too, I dont go chasing people to watch magic they come to me if they want entertainment.

Its good to be used to handling hecklers and not just trying to avoid them, that wont make you a better performer if you avoid problems you can have any day. So I recomend you practice crowed control not aviod it, your not going to turn down a kids show in fear of hecklers when you reach 30 are you? Well if you avoid it and not learn to control a crowed you will be just like that.

Post subject: asdf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:45 pm 
Penguin

how old are you all that just responded.
Well the younger kids wil get discouraged from doing magic and just stop all together because of the highschool kids. Plus highschoolers are insulted bye your magic. I had crowd control and still ther was ppl that were ignorant. Just do your illusions to adults and right minded looking ppl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:17 am 
Penguin

I agree ccisdaman777, there are just some people at school who you shouldn't perform to. He is also right in suggesting teachers as many teachers recognise magic as much more of an artform. If you can make a name for yourself among your friends it begins to get hard to refuse doing performances for the wrong people so in those situations I get away by just doing a really simple effect where I force a card and then have a giant duplicate appear in my wallet. There are of course people at my school I really hate and who heckle me mercilessly, I've decided to do two things (please give your opinion on this if you feel like it)
a) I refuse to do an effect if they are present
b) I'm keeping my whole metal bending and mentalism routine (it gets better everyday) for the last day of school, EVER, I plan to freak out every single person and have the techniques perfected by that time and because it is the last day of school it also means there will be no repeat performances ( this probably is a bad idea and going off topic a bit for which I apologise)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:19 am 

That's why you don't perform for them. I performed for the last 3 years I was in High School and it was very rare that I got heckled. You have to choose you specators carefully. If they start heckling just say you have to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:07 am 
Penguin

I only preform for ppl who i know will enjoy the magic. If i know that they'll heckle me or grab cards i won't ever preform for them and i make that clear.

Post subject: Re: For All You School Magicians
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:34 am 
Team Penguin

ccisdaman777 wrote:
This is a topic that will help you forever, all you kids that do illusions at school. STOP. Kids are simple minded and think they know everything at the same time so and easy way to avoid being heckled (not 100% of the time) is to do tricks to adults. Why you ask.
a) an adult will not come and just assult you( grab your deck, hand, shirt ...ect.
b) they will understand trick(99% of the time)
c) its always better the entertain someone alot older than you
d) job oportunities
e) praise
and the best reason of all
f) kids get mad

I totally dissagree.

I am a Junior at high school and known around the school as The Magic Man.

I show stuff all the time and have never had a problem with people snatching something out of my hand of extreme hecklers. If you present well and entertain the people then they will not bother you as opposed to saying "look what I can do" and then doing a trick.

I say do the magic and don't worry about the people (if you are entertaining).

Sure performing for adults is fun, but Teenagers and kids really enjoy it as well if the magic is presented in the correct way. You have to cope with the audience and not come across as a showoff. When you showoff others feel like showingoff!

Praise is good and you can get it from performing for ANYBODY!

Give your cards to teenagers who have younger brothers and sisters and they will refer you to their parents (I have had this happen many times). IT WORKS trust me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:28 pm 

That's what I've been saying. I was Card Guy around my school. Everyone knew that I could do things with a deck of cards, so they gave up on trying to figure it out and just enjoyed it.

Post subject: Re: For All You School Magicians
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm 
Penguin

ccisdaman777 wrote:
a) an adult will not come and just assult you( grab your deck, hand,shirt ...ect.

98.0 percent of the time thats true i actually got deck ripped out of hand during trick and it was a regular deck and he couldnt figure out how to do it so i walked home with a bloody nose and half a deck of cards

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next