View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Silk Fountains
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:51 pm 
Penguin

Hi, I started doing kids shows, and was wondering if the silk fountain by Jay Scott Berry was any good. If anyone could give me some input that'd be great. Also, has anyone ever used the eclipse by the same guy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:13 pm 
Penguin

Eclips is a fine effect, and I'm sure his fountain is great. I posted somthing else about silk fountains in the kids shows forum, look around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:06 pm 
Penguin

this is a nice effect, but not for kid shows. its like once the fountain is finished the kids our thinking whats next? I asked 2 pros. in my area, both who have been doing magic for more than 20 years, and they gave me the same advice I am giving you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:37 pm 

pyromonkey wrote:
this is a nice effect, but not for kid shows. its like once the fountain is finished the kids our thinking whats next? I asked 2 pros. in my area, both who have been doing magic for more than 20 years, and they gave me the same advice I am giving you.

Both were wrong. I too am a professional and have been for a while. The silk fountain is a GREAT effect. However remember it is a closing effect, not one you start with or even put in the middle of a show. Used right it is a fine climax to a show. I use it all the time they cost US$100 and are worth it.

Peter

Last edited by paddy on Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:04 pm 
Penguin

paddy, how is this effect to music?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:16 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
pyromonkey wrote:

Both were wrong. I too am a professional and have been for a while. The sild fountain is a GREAT effect. However remember it is a closing effect, not one you start with or even put in the middle of a show. Used right it is a fine climax to a show. I use it all the time they cost US$100 and are worth it.

Peter

I too use it as the final part of my act, and do it to I Just Can't Wait To Be King, from the Lion King.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:22 am 

pyromonkey wrote:
paddy, how is this effect to music?

You can adjust how fast it opens by shaking your hand, a little faster or slower. So the use of music is not a problem. In fact my Doc Paddy show uses Scott Joplin music and my Paddy The Clown show uses classical music by Strauss. So 2 different beats and I finish both with the fountain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:32 am 
born to perform.

There are ones that you can have doves appear at the end.
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:23 am 
Team Penguin

actually...there is a better way to go...

General Grant makes his own silk fountain in seconds...

All you have to do is take one big silk and lay it on the floor,

Now take about 50 different colored silks and randomly throw/drop them onto the big one. Now wad it all up and tie the big one loosly together around the bundle. Now to present just grab the ball and start twisting it...It sounds stupid but trust me, it looks better than the ones that you can buy! As you twist it let the silks flow out of the big one and fall to the floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:04 pm 
Penguin

KyletheGreat wrote:

Now take about 50 different colored silks and randomly throw/drop them onto the big one. Now wad it all up and tie the big one loosly together around the bundle. Now to present just grab the ball and start twisting it...It sounds stupid but trust me, it looks better than the ones that you can buy! As you twist it let the silks flow out of the big one and fall to the floor.

There is a bit more to it than that, my silk fountain is only 12 silks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:38 pm 

KyletheGreat wrote:

I have made silk fountains and have purchased them but I can you that "just drop them and wad it up" is pure bull crap. Obviously you have never tried this because you would look like a total fool when all the silks fell on the floor and looked like you were throwing them away.

A silk fountain flows up and out with beauty, not falls haphazardly on the floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:14 pm 
Team Penguin

No, you do not understand.

It looks beautiful as you do it (if you do it correctly) General Grant showed how to do it in one of his lectures. (he actually uses it in his show) and it looks pretty darn good!