View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 4 or 5 years old? too young?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:43 am 
born to perform.

Hi guys,
I have been asked to do a show for a kid who is either three turning four or four turning five. I’m assuming that this is just a little too young, but wanted to get your opinions on it. Thanks-Alex
PS Spell checked twice for Paddy
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:27 pm 
Penguin

Well the age really depends on the performer. My limit is usually three year olds. Besides nobody should want a show for their one year old. If you have the right material and know how to interact with young children then, like I said, the age depends on you. It is definetely a more of a challenge but if you want to make money doing magic Kids Shows can definetely do that for you.
Just get the right material(no cards, coins, etc...) and make a routine with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:57 pm 

Never do anything like spell check for me or anyone else. You should do it because you want to make a GOOD impression on others.

Poor spelling impresses people with the ignorance of the writer.

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:19 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Never do anything like spell check for me or anyone else. You should do it because you want to make a GOOD impression on others.

Poor spelling impresses people with the ignorance of the writer.

Paddy

I'm sorry,
I was joking, I'll try to make that more clear in the future....

also, what would you guys reccomend for tricks for really young kids like this? I've heard that really colorful visual things work well, Ive been thinking maybe pb&j illusion, vanishing hank, probobly not sponge balls, possibly the vanishing cane, please post some more ideas, thanks-alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:50 pm 
Penguin

People have made some inquires about me doing shows for kids that age, and like Robby said its going to depend on the performer. With that said its an age that I feel comfortable doing. Some effects that I do/would do are:

-magic coloring book
-I have a pretty involved routine for cut and restored rope
-some bits with my break-away wand and my topsy popsy wand
-running gag of throwing a silk in the air and announcing that it will turn into something, and having it fall down to the floor in failure; responding with "I never did really like that trick anyway" (towards the end of the show have it turn into a cane)
-I also have a video called "20 minutes with a balloon"

So... for a 30 minute show, which is what I have found to be a good amount of time for a children’s birthday party, that right there is plenty of material. One thing to keep in mind and not to cheat the kids or parents, but kids that young could watch the magic coloring book all day. The biggest key is just to be likeable and entertaining not specifically if you can make an elephant appear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:49 pm 
born to perform.

That age group is hard, good luck. I don't go below 10 years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:00 pm 
Penguin

ppmagic wrote:
People have made some inquires about me doing shows for kids that age, and like Robby said its going to depend on the performer. With that said its an age that I feel comfortable doing. Some effects that I do/would do are:

-magic coloring book
-I have a pretty involved routine for cut and restored rope
-some bits with my break-away wand and my topsy popsy wand
-running gag of throwing a silk in the air and announcing that it will turn into something, and having it fall down to the floor in failure; responding with "I never did really like that trick anyway" (towards the end of the show have it turn into a cane)
-I also have a video called "20 minutes with a balloon"

So... for a 30 minute show, which is what I have found to be a good amount of time for a children’s birthday party, that right there is plenty of material. One thing to keep in mind and not to cheat the kids or parents, but kids that young could watch the magic coloring book all day. The biggest key is just to be likeable and entertaining not specifically if you can make an elephant appear.

I have herd of this video to, but don't knwo where to find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:03 pm 
Penguin

TomBaer wrote:
That age group is hard, good luck. I don't go below 10 years old.

I like that age group, 6-8 is my favorite. 10 year olds are a pain in the butt.

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:58 pm 
born to perform.

Alex,
That age is fine! First ask them what the ages of the other kids will be. A lot of times they will vary and that helps you to know what to bring for the show. Believe it or not I get many requests for a one year old, but the others present are usually three on up.
The parents do this mainly for the guests. Some of the things you can use is the coloring book, P&J, TT, D-lites, change bag and or the dove pan.
Something that any of you can use and is a huge hit with the kids is the drawing board (Axtel). It's about $70.00 but I never leave home without it.
Don't be nervous, act with them as you would any child, cut up & have fun. Mix up your helpers names, do goofy handshakes when they come up just enjoy yourself and they will feed off of that.
Tom Bauer, man you are missing out on lots of fun and money. Most parties are going to be in the same range as the ones you don't do shows for. Between five & nine, you can have a huge blast with. Rethink your shows and do some changes and I am sure you'll do a great job, you're passing up a lot of business there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:31 pm 
born to perform.

Alex, how old are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:57 am 
Penguin

This is my absolutely favourite age for kids shows. They love all the slapstick, magician in trouble and silly bits. They go mental over my monkey too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:38 am 
Penguin

At that age, everything is magic to them anyhow. A 4-year-old will never get the "Wow, how did he do that?" feeling, but that doesn't mean they can't be delighted with your antics. You could toss a card into the air and as it goes fluttering down to the ground, in the mind of a child, it would be magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:44 pm 
Penguin

Um I Did a kid show for 4 year olds and they loved it but you just cant say stupid of dumb because it sounds like your a potty mouth they think lol good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:07 pm 
Penguin

Try using things with bright colors; big things that catch their eye.

I find that you can sometimes get the best reactions from someone under 8 years old.

Of course, Little kids can be quite the hecklers... :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:23 pm 
Penguin

How about hippity-hop rabits?