View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DONT YOU JUST HATE THIS???!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:39 am 
Penguin

OK. I hate it when this happens.

I'm sitting watching TV, or just relaxing, when my mom or dad invites some aunts and uncles. Ok, I'll live. Then, when they arrive, they insist on seeing some magic from the little magician (I'm 12). They think they're doing me a favor. I say I dont want to or am busy, but they insist with their annoying faces. So, I show them an ok trick or 2. Then they think they have figured it out, and blurt out the "secret" (really some far-fetched idea). SO I "ya wateva" and go away too chill out again, and I hear my aunts saying "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww shame" behind me, feeling sorry for me.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:10 pm 
Penguin

I totally agree with you!
One hundred million percent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:06 am 
born to perform.

wellll this doesnt happen with my family, but i do hate when people have sum stupid idea of how they think it happend and they are so stubbern that they sware they are right and the saw me do it and they are totally wrong, then i have to go out of my way to prove them wrong bc im not the type of guy that likes making people think they are right it bugs me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:25 pm 
Penguin

Here's what I would do... work out a trick which misleads the spectator into thinking they know the trick, but they are wrong. For example, if you're making a small object vanish, find a trick where you can "finish clean" (nothing palmed etc.), and pretend that you are palming something. Even try to be slightly clumsy about it so they are 110% sure that you are hiding something in your hand. When your spectators say something obnoxious like "What you got in yer left hand, sonny???" you say "What, here?" and slowwwwwly turn your hand over and spread your fingers to reveal that they are dead wrong. Of course, even if they politely clap, be sure to reveal that hand no matter what! Usually that's when the trick really hits home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:14 pm 

First, don't post your age if you're under 13.
Second, relatives are like that. Unless you're in the middle of a show and they're doing it, don't worry. Little kids also through out some far fetched ideas. One thing you can do is learn from it. Kids haven't been taught to suspend disbelief and can actually tell you many things that are right. I had one call me on a False Transfer last night. They go for the most straight foward thing. I would use whatever they said and think of what I did that gave them that idea. If you're floating something and they start saying "magnets," You know that you're too stationary when your floating it. If you do a vanish and they catch you, you know you need to practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:57 am 
Penguin

God!!! Your aunt and uncle remind me of one of my aunts back when I was your age.

Let's just say among the nicknames me and my cousins had for her "oxygen theif' and 'waste of skin' and you'll get the idea.

Id be trying out a new trick, or just showing one of my cousins or other aunts something, and she'd do the same thing: Blurt out some stupid explanation, and refuse to beleive that wasn't how it was done.

I finally put a stop to it by doing this:

I was showing the entire family a 4 ace assembly (shuffle, pluck an ace. Shuffle, cut, pluck an ace....you get the idea).

I finish the trick, and hear her voice over my shoulder "They're all aces, it's a trick deck, blah blah blah."

I just said nothing, turned over the rest of the deck and spread them out, showing it was a completely straight, ungimmicked deck. Not wanting to be outdone, she 'spotted' that the deck was marked (it wasn't)...bear in mind I was about 11 at the time. (I;m 25 now)

I just handed her the deck, and said "If it's so easy, you do it!" She started to make excuses, so I just called out "Gather around everyone! Aunt Mary is going to show everyone how I did that last trick!"

She made a fool of herself, I wasn't bothered anymore.

Oh, and I agree with exodus, Kids seem to a lot sharper than adults. Adults seem to pick the most outrageous off the wall explanations...the kids think "He's got 2 coins"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:03 pm 
born to perform.

Here are my personal hates:
- A spectator thinks they know the secret to the trick and blurts it out. It's wrong but I can't disprove it because it will expose the real secret.
- I may be doing some tricks in front of my parents and their friends and my dad shouts out "hey do the one where you..." and gives away the trick (not the secret but lets the audience know what is going to happen).
- When people treat you like you're their slave and tell you to perform tricks for them on demand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:06 am 
Penguin

This was posted:

Quote:
Here's what I would do... work out a trick which misleads the spectator into thinking they know the trick, but they are wrong. For example, if you're making a small object vanish, find a trick where you can "finish clean" (nothing palmed etc.), and pretend that you are palming something. Even try to be slightly clumsy about it so they are 110% sure that you are hiding something in your hand. When your spectators say something obnoxious like "What you got in yer left hand, sonny???" you say "What, here?" and slowwwwwly turn your hand over and spread your fingers to reveal that they are dead wrong. Of course, even if they politely clap, be sure to reveal that hand no matter what! Usually that's when the trick really hits home.

I agree here. Do something like the rub-a-dub vanish which is a four or five second trick (well, really its a move, but you can make it a trick). When you lift your hand, you show the card is gone but keep your hand face down and as though you are palming a card (NB make sure you have no sleeves or rolled them up). Perhaps they will blurt out "it's in the hand", but it's not necessary.

At this point you have placed a card on the table/floor, made it disappear and show this by lifting your hand from the surface (not turning it over). Now after a few seconds put your hand back onto the surface and start rubbing again. As your rubbing, allow your fingers to spread and then turn your hand over when you're finished rubbing. DO NOT rush this - rub slowly and smoothly.

The audience will be somewhat confused at this point. This is called social cryptoamnesia. In lay terms, they audience has come to the conclusion that there is a card in your hand (because they figured this out themselves - do not tell them this!) because it is awkwardly palming. Anyone who thought that the card was never there completely forgets this theory and picks up the new one of 'the card is just in his hand'. When you make this card disappear the effect is amazing.

On the other hand you could just do a trick that nobody can figure out. You could either do a triumph effect, or a sucker effect (such as showing their card on the bottom of the deck, trying to determine whether this is their card through mind reading, and then gliding this card. Then reveal you knew their card all along by some means).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:42 pm 
Penguin

/advice on
Usually, I never refuse or hint that I will not perform immediately when asked impromptu. If anyone practically demand a performance, I am usually excited as the main aim is to entertain, not impress. They are not there to make me feel good or bad. I do that with the love of performing with any type of audience. Simply asking for cash if it helps also. Even in a joking manner if they are annoying me, I remind it takes time and money to learn the fine art. :shock:
/advice off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:10 am 
Penguin

MY FAMILY TREAT ME LIKE IM A MAGIC SHOP- I TELL THEM THAT IF THEY ASK FOR MAGIC IN FRONT OF AN AUDIENCE I WONT DO ANY. SIMPLE

IF THEY START TO BEG, I SAY "SHUT THE FU CK UP OR ILL SHRINK YOUR SEXUAL ORGANS."

JOB DONE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:12 am 
born to perform.

nicholasprinse wrote:
MY FAMILY TREAT ME LIKE IM A MAGIC SHOP- I TELL THEM THAT IF THEY ASK FOR MAGIC IN FRONT OF AN AUDIENCE I WONT DO ANY. SIMPLE

IF THEY START TO BEG, I SAY "SHUT THE FU CK UP OR ILL SHRINK YOUR SEXUAL ORGANS."

JOB DONE

Do you really say that to your family? I highly doubt it, and if you do thats messed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:50 am 

Just the fact that he haxorized his all caps paragraph so the cursing wouldn't be edited out proves that he wouldn't say that to his family. He's still at the age that thinks typing cuss words is cool.

Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:19 am 
Penguin

Whenever this happens you need 2 keep your kool. dont let them c that they have one...

I usually turn the whole room against them. HAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!

just keep your kool
haz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:22 pm 
born to perform.

I think the best thing to do is often to disprove them, but subtly. So silently flipping the deck over is the best thing for that situation. e.g. doing ambitious card... "that's not the same card!" (not in a rude way, but making it clear they think that...) so hold the deck vertically, let them see you shove the card in the middle, then pass on the way down...

Quote:
- I may be doing some tricks in front of my parents and their friends and my dad shouts out "hey do the one where you..." and gives away the trick (not the secret but lets the audience know what is going to happen).

I got that with someone requesting 'the web'– "do the one with the spider!"
:evil:

Post subject: Re: DONT YOU JUST HATE THIS???!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:04 pm 
born to perform.

Henrywilkinson wrote:
OK. I hate it when this happens.

I'm sitting watching TV, or just relaxing, when my mom or dad invites some aunts and uncles. Ok, I'll live. Then, when they arrive, they insist on seeing some magic from the little magician (I'm 12). They think they're doing me a favor. I say I dont want to or am busy, but they insist with their annoying faces. So, I show them an ok trick or 2. Then they think they have figured it out, and blurt out the "secret" (really some far-fetched idea). SO I "ya wateva" and go away too chill out again, and I hear my aunts saying "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww shame" behind me, feeling sorry for me.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

THis happens to me sooooooooooo much!!!!!! But it is probably more annoying for me because its with my parents friends, and this happens every week or so!