View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: what if someone auctually yells out the secret
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 11:37 pm 
Penguin

Part of magicians skill(s) is knowing your audience, and building suspense! Its part of the art... look at Blaine! He's very dramatic.. watch him ... and learn... (you don't have to be JUST LIKE HIM, but notice he does things LIKE HE MEANS IT!) Basically look around as you approach your magical "victim" (scope for your big bully, but act as if your paranoid someone else is watching...as if what you're doing is "your little secret") of course, if "bully" is around do another trick (he doesn't know... NOTE: don't repeat THIS one in front of him repeatedly either!) and blow them away! Show patience, he will not always be around, yet, you will always find someone who will be amazed by your ability to eat coins! ~Magic Mike "Mason"~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:06 pm 
Penguin

I hate that crap.. When someone screws up my trick, I normally ignore them or finish that trick and quit right there, letting them feel like they did a lot of good.. That way all the people that were enjoying my magic can be angry with Him... Something along those lines... Or I just act like: Yup.. You got me.... But, what about this.... Then I switch decks and do another trick.. No average joe is gonna know all Your secrets, unless they too are a magician... But then again, what kind of magician blows secrets? :?

~Lulach~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:02 pm 
born to perform.

If someone yells out the secret, you're either a terrible magician that can't handle the crowd, you haven't practiced enough, it's an obvious trick, or you got stuck in a bad situation, and most of the time, even when people say it its that last one, its usually one of the first 3.

Post subject: Dealing with Hecklers.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:08 am 
Penguin

Me personally, I agree that violence should be avoided. I prefer to detract attention from them by going on to a more unexpected trick. The one I am trying to perfect right now involves producing a ball of fire that I can actually hold for about 2 minutes and then eat. Or just reach in my pocket and pull out the ball of fire. FYI, if you are going to do tricks with fire be sure your environment is appropriate, IOW don't be careless, and always practice these type of tricks till you have mastered them since there is no room for error when working with fire. LOL. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:38 am 
born to perform.

First, this thread is not really about magic. It is about life as a teenager. If you want to do magic, then you have to control the setting and you never, ever, belittle an audience member (it is OK to use humor to defuse a tough situation--but, gee, if it were that easy, we would all be on the Tonight Show). Even in the worst circumstances, a professional magician will use a light joke and then peer pressure from the rest of the audience to stop a heckler. But this requires that the rest of the audience already respects you--and that they really want to watch the show.

I have taught 13 to 16 year olds now for sixteen years and I see what you are describing everyday, sometimes in my classroom, directed towards me, and sometimes between the students. Since I have some status as their teacher, my best method of dealing with this is to calmly stop what I am doing, turn slowly towards the student, and wait.

I know it is different when you deal with some jerk who is your peer. You may be required to deal with it differently. The sad thing is that kids will give you status based on your ability to make the jerk look stupid. First, that is easier said than done, and second, this is not how you will survive as a magician (or in High School, for that matter.)

Just because you say, "let me show you a trick" to someone and they come over to watch, it does not mean they are really all that interested. You have to convince them in ten seconds that your "show" is worth their time. Face it, some jerk who comes up to ruin your trick may provide a better "show." If the rest of the audience refuses to support you, then, they are not your audience. It is time to smile and walk away (or put away your trick and beat the kid up—if you want to take the mature road :wink:). Learn to be patient and pick the right time to do a trick. What you really want is for them to come to you asking for a trick (but still, never do a trick unless you control the setting). When that happens you will see more support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:06 pm 
Penguin

when he tell the secret the the folding coin just go 'yer sure thats the secret here have a look at the coin (switch to a real coin and give it to them) when they see its real say something like 'what was that you were saying??' you could even give him the coin to keep to make him look like a bigger fool (he will proberly know that is not the same but he will proberly look like a idiot). Oh a tip put 2 bands on it so if one breaks you have back up. Thats what i do!

Tom :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:36 pm 
born to perform.

good advice conjuringtom :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:15 am 
Penguin

Smile with them Agree with them, Say yes you are right I do have a detachable thumb! Or what ever they are busting you on, 4 times out of 5 the crowd will think they are crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:22 am 
Penguin

Just say, gee thanks for ruining my trick in front of all my magic fans. I'm sure they appreciate you for that and I hope they let you get out to your car ok without you getting a leg broken. Just kidding. But if it is a coin I would also do the SHUTTLE PASS or BOBO SWITCH! If you don't know them I would seriously start learning them and then you will not have that problem and they are easy moves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:16 pm 
born to perform.

lol every time somebody does that i give them my "look"
i have this talent for making people feel like a stupid piece of dirt just by lookin at them the right way. its a gift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:53 am 
born to perform.

If I find my self in a situation where someone is trying to tip my secrets to the rest of the spectators this is what I will do. My first response is to look at the offender directly, get a thoughtful look on my face and say 'hmmmm, I've never thought of doing it that way, I'll have to try it next time.' Wether he was right or wrong, everyone else in the group is now convinced he was wrong. And your secret is still safe. If the guy (or gal, it can happen) persists, I will simply hand them my deck of cards and say 'Allright sport (or sparky, champ, slick, ace, tiger....you get the idea) why don't you show us some of your tricks.' One of two things will happen, he (or she) will shut the heck up which is great or better yet, run for the hills. Bill Malone suggests if you have a heckler or know it all in the crowd, ignore them best you can, or draw attention to them and let the rest of the spectators know he is ruining their enjoyment. Mob mentalitly is a great thing, they will turn on the heckler real quick.

I really like the idea of using the Shuttle Pass to switch out the gimmicked coin. I can just imagine the look on the loudmouth's face when you drop a real quarter into his hand, then make sure you ask him to repeat everything you just did with that in front of everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:28 am 
Penguin

Say "Ladies and gents, if this scoundrel was even worth half his weight in silver (produce a silver dollar from his shirt) then he would be the one performing for you not I, however since he has shown himself to be a reluctant witness to my art I shall attempt to perform a miracle."

perform a coins across

burn his brain and bow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:46 am 
born to perform.

I agree with Chrisrkline...

The school setting is Way different than the adult world. And being a magician is really tough around the "peer group" in school. Most of the students have known you for years and years. You didn't know magic before and now you do....It must be a trick...Also I have found that middleschool to late highschool are more concerned with the mechanics and learning the impossible. The only way around this is to have a full arsenal and to KNOW IT PERFECT. The more things you can do the better.

Chrisrkline was also right about having them come to you. THIS is very important. It shows that you have impressed people and that they want YOU to show others tricks so not that they can bust you but so they can see their peers faces when you blow their minds. It's a great feeling.

As for your favorite trick......well get something new never stop learning...That's why we are all here right. We all love magic (I hope). Magic isn't about one trick it's about the whole package. Too many times I see people get stuck on one trick...Certainly there are staples but what happens when you've shown everybody in school the biting quarter and they want something new?

"hey aren't you that quarter biting kid"

You reply
"yep"

"can you show us"

What do you do now???........

I've rambled too long sorry....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:09 pm 
Penguin

"Show of hands; who came here to see him?"

Post subject: Re: what if someone auctually yells out the secret
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:56 pm 
born to perform.

bravesaint wrote:
I don't think violence will solve this one, just find other things you like and do those
well said,the people who manly do that to me....are just plain rude.trying to figure out a trick infront of you....then telling every one.then most people i know think magic is for free!they think its a waste of money to buy a trick.frankly just bad memories.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next