View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Badness of Blaine
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:04 pm 
Penguin

I think that Dave Blaine just bought the TV rights to a couple good tricks. That's all. The guy has n talent or skill. Magic is not about buying tricks. It is about making people forget about their worries and troubles. I'm just a kid and I realize this. If adult magicians don't do magic to ENTERTAIN people, I don't think they deserve to perform. I think magicians are beginning to forget that this why we perform. It's really kinda pathetic. Does anyone out there agree with me that David Blaine has no skill and that we are forgetting why we are magicians?

Post subject: Re: The Badness of Blaine
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:13 pm 
Penguin

I do agree that we should be doing magic for entertainment but that is what Blaine does. I dont think he started out saying i want to do magic just for the publicity or for the money. He must have started out by saying i want to do magic for entertainment, then over time he got to be on tv. Also like you said we do magic to entertain which has nothing to do with buying tricks. He has tricks which entertain and his spectators really dont care if he bought the trick they care about what happens in the trick and how its presented. So what if he does buy tricks anyway, he is different from you but he is still doing his job which is to entertain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:05 pm 
Penguin

I personally like his "I'm Spiritual" approach... it really gets people going. I especially love when he pretends to be tired, and thirsty after levitation... coughing and gagging... :-) Great stuff man...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:39 pm 
Penguin

I think he has some skill, but to say he has no skill what-so-ever is downsizing him a bit. His DL is beautiful, and his personality is in a category all it's own. While I don't think Blaine is the most skillful man on the planet, I do respect him for who he is and what he does.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:24 pm 
born to perform.

Location: I shall not capitulate... no never. I may be destroyed, but if I am, I shall drag a world with me...
How the edited would you know why we started to do magic? I hate people like you, i really do. Your saying david bought TV rights to a few good tricks, but its not about the tricks, its about entertaining. Well, what do you think he does with those tricks? He ENTERTAINS, watch his shows, the poeple are laughing and having a blast. They dont know whether he has a gimmick or not, they just know they're havign fun. Your sucha hypocrite, i mean, come one..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:43 am 
Emperor Penguin

submagi.....Why do you have to come off so cocky and beligerent to people? Can't you just answer their questions in a civil manner? There's no reason to be so nasty about it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:47 am 
Penguin

cupcakus, I also like the spiritual approach he has too. It's a lot more impactful to see him levitate and come down like he has a lot less energy than before then to see him go up and come down normal like nothing major just happened.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:07 pm 
born to perform.

Like I said in an earlier post, he's a great entertainer and performer, that's what magic is. I don't wish Ito have his skill, but I do admire his entertaining ability.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:03 pm 
Penguin

u guys r crazy have u read his books me does it to entertain the only reason hes on t.v. is because some t.v. people saw him and asked him if he wanted a show if u watch it u would know and if u read his books he talks about how he loves doing magic for people because he like there reaction and how happy they r. anyways he is the next houdini thats where he got his frozen in time trick it was to be like the water torture chamber but ice instead of water so if u think he is doing it for money ur wrong because he says that he loves being with people anyways if u have anything else u would like to say to me u can email me at Aragornltr@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:34 pm 
Penguin

thank you to all of the people who said Blaine was a performer. He is cool even though some people dont like him (which i can understand)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:12 pm 
born to perform.

Location: I shall not capitulate... no never. I may be destroyed, but if I am, I shall drag a world with me...
lick me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:23 pm 
Emperor Penguin

submagi....was that necessary? If I were the guys at Penguin I would find some way to ban your disrespectful butt from these boards.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:34 am 
Penguin

I fell that Blaine is one of the best magicians i have seen. It may not always be tat people do magicfor entertaning (which is sometimes the case), some ppl do it cause of the skills in doing the trick. I know of a friend who does magic cause he likes to enjoy and learn a new skill or rather a princicple. So you cant just go around and any old how insult other ppl who are definately better than you...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:21 pm 
Penguin

If he is that bad, then I would like to see you do some of the things he does without getting caught. Try to stand in a block of ice for 60 some hours and tell me how you feel about it after your done. And the skill he has with The Raven is unmatchable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:00 pm 
Emperor Penguin

bobg...haven't you heard? Blaine didn't stand in a block of ice for 60 some hours all by himself! That stunt was accomplished with a Blaine double and a trap door. Blaine and his double switched places every few hours.