View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:28 am 
Penguin

Jay Sankey's "The Pen is Mightier" (not really his trick but he has a few good tips on it), it's the old gag where you pop a cap off the tip of a pen a few times in a quirky kind of way, and you let the heckler say something about how lame your trick is, so you say "OK smarty, why don't you try it..." hand him the pen, and he tries to take the cap off until veins bulge from his forehead. Then for the climax, let the most petite girl spectator take a crack at it, and she pops the cap right off. HA! It's good old fashioned entertainment and makes the heckler look like a dork at the same time.

(Penguin used to sell this as an instant download, not sure what the status is now. I searched but didn't happen to find it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:26 pm 
Penguin

What i've done at school is during lunch (when I do most of my magic) is when a heckler starts to pester me, I'll do Gregory Wilson's Head Trip. Where you make it seem like a napkin is disappearing from your hand.

THe audience knows what and how it works, but the heckler doesn't.

It's a great indirect way to make a fool out of him.

Post subject: Re: a heckler almost ruined my job as a magicguy help!!!
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:31 pm 
born to perform.

XCMmagicman wrote:
man there r lots of heckers at my skool and 1 guy told every1 how i did tip of tonge cause he caugt me and now all of those people dont want to c my tricks no more. wat should i do to stop a heckler without useing violence? cause im not mean im nice.lol :lol:

Quit magic and concentrate on your education. 19 grammatical errors in such a short post. Tsk. tsk. Get a dictionary, dude....it'll make your posts so much easier to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:01 pm 
born to perform.

I have already posted how much I love Hecklers and how I deal with them in my own way (of being very sarcastic and degrading them verbally and not with tricks, but this fits into my routine and style.)

A good way to stop the Hecklers, that I have found before I found my magic style, is to do a trick where the heat is off of the spectators. Do something that you call a "puzzle" rather than a trick, the spectators will think about it in a diffrent light.

I have found that doing a "trimuph" routine works amazingly well. When you open up your patter for the trick say something like "Ok well let me tell you a story about when a trick that I did went wrong." When I used to use this to get Hecklers to shut up or calm down, it worked so well because you are pretty much saying I will heckle myself. Then when the trick is done they have no idea what hit them. :shock:

God I love to handle hecklers, they are so much fun! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:02 pm 
born to perform.

Quit magic and take up snow-globe collecting.

Post subject: Re: Manage your audience better
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:12 am 
Penguin

chrisborcik wrote:
Hey magicdude give the guy a break. The reason he posted on the forum is to get help and get more experienced. If your not going to give the guy some help the dont post, I dont mean to hurt you but seriously lighten up were almost all kinda like brothers.

You are THE MAN!

Yeah, guys. Remember Thumper: "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all..."

:D Happy magic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:43 pm 
born to perform.

charris wrote:
Don't perform around a heckler that refuses to stop heckling. It's tough in school. However, if you are doing an organised show, just come up with a routine designed to make a fool out of him. Do something that allows your audience to see how it's done but not your heckler. Also, work on one effect that you can do perfectly even if your hands are being burned. Challenge him to catch you and blow his mind. My best advice though it to just not perform around this guy.
Also, practice more :D

Craig

you know what i do for hecklers ???? I challange them to a game of WHACK YOUR PACK (paul harris) ..... if you want i can explain the trick for you PM me ;o)

Post subject: Re: Manage your audience better
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:28 pm 
born to perform.

magicdude84 wrote:
First of all they should never figure out the trick. Second you should be able to handle a heckler, if you can't learn, that's why you're being heckled. These are things you learn from experience and seperate the magicians from people who do magic tricks.

I really am in awe at the fact that you have never slipped up on a trick even once. You must either be a super magician or a magician that doesn't perform that often. I for one am a magician but still human. True with practice slip ups should be rare but to expect that you will never mess up is being very unrealistic. What seperates magicians from those who just do magic tricks is how you cover after messing up.

Last edited by AAWWFF on Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:16 pm 
Penguin

when there are hecklers around, don't stop doing your tricks, do a trick that uses NO GIMMICKS and NO SLEIGHTS (automatic effects) they cant ruin that kind of tricks

(except if they are math nerds (most automatic tricks are mathimatical effects) but find a math nerd hackler)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:22 pm 
born to perform.

charris wrote:
... just come up with a routine designed to make a fool out of him...

Thats a really good Idea actually. Do you have On the Spot? It teaches a routine like that, and that would be perfect for this situation.
Hope this could help.
Skylar 8) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:25 pm 
Penguin

I very, very rarely perform true tricks on command. It's fairly known that I do magic (though it isn't my claim to fame), and occasionally someone will request a trick, in response to which I'll perform a French Drop with a coin to pretty good reactions. Otherwise, I do what I think is the best way to handle magic in school - wait for the right moment. Even if that means you only do one trick a month, it will build your reputation. Additionally, do fairly minor miracles. For some reason, the understated tricks tend to do well.

For instance, the other day I set up my trick by talking about my pencil and how easy to break it was. I spoke very casually (it wasn't clear that I was doing a trick, and frankly I was still feeling out the moment) to the girl in front of me, and felt her pencil, too. Then, when the time was right, I picked up my pencil and did a very simple vanish that left both hands empty. She was laughing and quite amazed. What really made her jaw drop, though, was when I reproduced it from her ear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:32 pm 
Penguin

supermagicmotzart knows what he is doing listen to him if you want to build a reputation but in the mean time PRACTICE as much as you can on just one trick even if you think it looks perfect. still just do the trick in front of a mirror until you did it 5 times in a row flawlessly. then do it untill you can perform it 7 times flawlessly and 8 and 10 and 15 and so on and then just set an amount of time to practice it each day. then after you have mastered it wait for the right time and perform it.

to stop hecklers I have a line that will work and has worked EVERY TIME. so lets say you do an ambitious card routine starting off with a DL. you do a DL and put a different one into the deck then make the old one appear to come back to the top. lets say that there are 10 people watching and the spectator says he just had two cards and put the other one in the middle. first off about 1 or 2 of those people actually understood what he just said. secondly ignore him then do the pass this will make him eat his words if you are good at the pass. if not say this:
when you go to the movies and you see something that is computer edited you dont stand up in the theater and yell oh i know how that is done!!! thats edited to make it look real. well DUH every one knows that what i am doing is fake but by trying to give away the secret yo uare ruining it for everyone else. at this poin start to put your cards away, and everyone that was watching will get really pissed off at the heckler and make him leave or shut up, because they want to see more magic. then when you do the trick for them they will have respect for you and by that will be even more amazed at the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:43 pm 
Penguin

heh heh heh head trip works so good on hecklers....its great....but one thing ihave to say you could be the best magician in the world and do your show perfectly there will STILL be those hecklers who try to expose the trick even tho what they say is totally wrong they want the attention that you are gettting...take everyones advice and try to find a way to make humor out of the heckler dont get all pissy and stomp off or tell the guy off in front of everyone because then you lose... try to find a creative or humorous way to deal with the guy and not show people that hes getting at you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:29 pm 
born to perform.

charris wrote:
However, if you are doing an organised show, just come up with a routine designed to make a fool out of him. Do something that allows your audience to see how it's done but not your heckler. Challenge him to catch you and blow his mind.

Craig

may I suggest paper balls/napkins over head? Everyone loves it and it makes a fool out of the person. I love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:28 pm 
born to perform.

Has anyone ever seen the angel tap trick? I don't know the exact name but I saw it performed by Harry Anderson. I'm not sure if he created it. The routine is meant to fool one person around a crowd. The person is directed to close their eyes as you put both of you pointer fingers over their eyelids and as both your fingers are on their eyes they feel a tap or a brush on their shoulder, or on their head or on their back. The audience sees how it's done but they're going crazy. It's a really great trick.