View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Witchcraft
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:47 am 
Penguin

I felt prompted to ask this while reading another post in this forum, countless times what I do has been identified as witchcraft or as some involvement with the occult or devil incarnate, and this is even though most of my effects are ones by Jay Sankey and Richard Sanders which are presented in a humourous way.
What are some lines to say to get people off this idea about the style of magic for entertainment being the same as that of those who belive it is real?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:36 pm 
born to perform.

Maybe you shouldn't perform for people that think you're the devil and are really freaked out by it. Or you could start off by saying, "it's time for some sleight of hand magic."

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:54 pm 
Team Penguin

I just talk to the person who accuses me when we are off to ourselves or after the performance.

Give them the old "If I make something dissapear, it is because I have a tool that does it for me...I am in no way affiliated with the devil!" speech

I wrote an essay on this wronfully stated accusation for school once.

THis one guy that runs the local magic shop had a similar encouter but went about the solution differently...

A woman walks into his shop just to shout "Magic is of the Devil and yall ain't nothin but a bunch of heathans and devil minions!"

The guy that owned the place whips out a double bang wand and yells "GET OUT OF HERE WOMAN!" while he shoots of a fire ball!!! The lady ran out of the store like a maniac she was so scared!

It was so funny that I laughed till tears ran out of my eyes! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:59 pm 
Penguin

I know it's tempting to scare mentally ill fanatics, but maybe we shouldn't do that. lol Okay....but it is fun isn't it? LMAO!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:02 pm 
born to perform.

The people who have accused me of that were zealous religious people. (I don't fault them for faith).

When someone occuses you of this and does it from a religious standpoint, you can say

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

explain to them that magic your magic is good hearted fun and entertainment and that is all it is meant to be...entertainment. Your magic is of a worldly nature, and is in no way affiliated with religious or occult meathods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:17 pm 
Penguin

Fanatics don't care about logic or common sense. They believe what a preacher tells them and usually won't question it. I may force them to decide that they're not completely convinced that they're views are right. Many people, deep down, aren't convinced their beliefs are right, and will back down if they think acting on those views will have consequences. Beliefs are taught to people. Knowings aren't taught.

Watch out for psychotic people, though - that's a whole other ball game. I avoid performing for them if I can. I don't want to fuel their illness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:19 pm 
born to perform.

When fanatics like that approach me, I offer to show them something that they are more familiar with. I bring out my Extral Large Foo Can and change water to wine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:36 pm 
Penguin

One guy took it to far and acused me of being a demon, he screamed in public non stop untill he droped the deck and walked away, he came back though, I told him im not a demon...lol.. you got to admit though, those reactions are somtimes enjoyable to have, that means they really believe your magic if they freak that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:57 pm 
born to perform.

i was afraid of this when someone said that i was using blackmagic during performance becoz my country have strong believe that blackmagic is exist.but the best explaination i think is ''magic is an art mixed with science,nothing to do with demons!'' if still they do just say ''what grade did u get in science?read more books about science ! any better phrases? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:02 pm 
born to perform.

yes that's a major problem for our magician friends in countries like Haiti. Big voodoo belief in places like that, especially the island countries. I can't really think of any lines other than making sure you stress to your audiences that what you are doing is entertainment and has no connections to blackmagic. Stress that anyone can do what you do and tha tit is a hobby, not a dark art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:16 pm 
born to perform.

the thing is when i do levitation,levitating things and so on.im turning my eyes into pure white like possesed by demons. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:18 pm 

I had a 5 year old from my church tell me that his mom called me a witch, but I was a good witch. It's ridiculous. I was going to make a sign for the next performance that stresses the word Illusionist. Some people take their ignorance way too far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:26 pm 
born to perform.

say something like''im harry potter's cousin,friend,teacher or something. i learned magic in hogwarts,my school principal is professor dumbledoor. i hate snape coz he's badass!''

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:57 am 
born to perform.

I don't really get this problem, there are a lot of sceptics over here...

However I think stressing the name "illusionist" is a good way to go.

This said, If I lived somewhere religious fanatics were going to come have a go at me, I think I would keep a ball of flash paper in my outside pocket and a finger flasher in the match compartment. We all know what that's for...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:32 am 
Penguin

This may be a litte jackhole of me but...I LIKE those reactions. Sometimes I choose to perform my magic in a voodoo persona, like im tapping into old known forces. It freaks people out. Card tricks included, and especially the M5 can create great effects, and I love writing so I write up supernatural patter to go with it. When people accuse me of being unnatural i just look up, give burst of fire from the old Dragon Breath (fire from fingertips effect) and keep doing my magic. Obviously I don't stand outisde of churches seeking to perform...a lot of laypeople here are very open.
People WANT to believe that there is real magic, and I provide them with that. The word of mouth afterwards is great "man this kid did things that were unreal, there's something freaky about him" instead of "he found my card. it was cool". And obviously since i'm using it to entertain and not to maim chances are i'm not satan.