View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: The Badness of Blaine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:09 pm 
born to perform.

Location: I shall not capitulate... no never. I may be destroyed, but if I am, I shall drag a world with me...
are you serious? do you have any proof?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:17 am 
Emperor Penguin

I can't offer any proof, just my word! I remember seeing it exposed on some TV show a while back. I caught the show completely by accident while I was flipping thru cable channels one night. It surprised the heck out of me when I saw it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:16 am 
Emperor Penguin

Oh, another thing I thought I'd mention. The crew outside would spray the ice block on ocassion. This "spray" would cause a mist/fog around the ice block so people couldn't see what was in the block of ice. This afforded Blaine/his double the opportunity to switch places via the trap door.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:25 pm 
born to perform.

He has skill....but the rest you said is true-Hey dont you wish you were getting paid what he is...?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:17 pm 
born to perform.

Location: I shall not capitulate... no never. I may be destroyed, but if I am, I shall drag a world with me...
But what about Virtigo? Why fake the ice but really do Virtigo?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:33 pm 
born to perform.

Vertigo? Are you talking about jumping into a pile of boxes? I haven't seen any David Blaine shows, but from what I've read, there is a lot of "gimmickery" in the camera work. For each effect shown on TV, how many went wrong, or how many had spectators giving dumb looks? Anyway, Was vertigo when he jumped? I don;t know if that is magic. Performance? you bet. Magic? no. Any trained stuntman can jump. Any soldier can stand in place for an extended time. (Been there.) Some day, I'll borrow a TV and VCR and watch a Blaine Show.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:40 pm 
born to perform.

OK, but im saying. Why would he do virtigo for real. But fake the ice stunt?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:10 pm 
Penguin

well i do think he uses to many gimmicks but magic isn't all about moves his misdirection is pretty good, nothing truly remarkable about this but in the laymen's eye he is a diamond, just like almost all magicians it's just some of us may be jealous of his fame bottomline he is a regular magician but is a little over excessive with his gimmicks i mean if u were that famous u might eventually start losing material. So for Blaine i'm in the middle Later , Roboboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:04 am 
Emperor Penguin

submagi....I don't know why Blaine would fake the ice block and not fake Vertigo (or did he?)....but the reason for faking the ice block seems obvious....so he wouldn't freeze!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:53 am 
Penguin

you know, i'm actually not too sure he ever DID fake the "Frozen in Time" stunt. The platform he was on was very thin, and you could see underneath it. I didn't actually see the special, but I think DB really did do this one. Not positive, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:17 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Trixta....seems you don't beleive that I saw the TV show exposing Frozen in Time. I actualy saw it, I'm pretty sure I wasn't dreaming!...:>) As for the platform and being able to see underneath it, that becomes a nil point because it was obscured from view when they did the spray/mist/fog.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:48 pm 
Penguin

No, I know it exists. I was told about it by many other people. Too bad i missed it, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:50 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah well, it really doesn't matter. If its true it makes me a little upset. The frozen in time wasn't supossed to be an illusion or magic, it was a stunt. And if you avertise somethign as a stunt and not a magic effect/illusion then you should do it. I mean, its like in movies when they say "jackie chan does his own stunts" and you find out he has a double. Kinda disappointing...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:37 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I don't know why it would upset you. Stunt doubles have been used in action films since the beginning of the film industry (lots of movie stars have stunt doubles for the risky stunts). Doubles have also been used in many magic illusions (mostly females). Blaine just took it another step. After all, in most magic/stunts deception is necessary to pull it off and to make it look believable. Isn't that what magic is all about...to make it look believable?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:50 pm 
Penguin

yes, that's what MAGIC is all about, but not STUNTS. Stunts are a way of saying "Look, everybody! Look what I can do!!!" If you want to do a stunt, then actually DO it, don't just get a double and say you did it. That's just cheap and, in my opinion, pretty low. P.S. I thought Jackie Chan DID do all of his own stunts.