View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jay Sankey DVDS left and right
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:59 pm 
Penguin

Man...Jay Sankey comes out with a dvd like almost every 2 weeks. Its so much material. I think its because he has his own studio and stuff like that. So whenever he feels like it he'll make one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:36 pm 
born to perform.

He doesn't have a studio, in fact, if you noticed, pretty much all his videos are taped in his home with a curtain/drape in the background.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:51 pm 
Penguin

yea thats what I meant. In his home...basically what I meant is he has his own camera. And when he just feels like making another dvd he throws a tarp up and he makes it. He must be really rich lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:45 pm 

If you notice, a lot of his effects are reworkings of other things. I love his work and was thinking about how many videos he's released lately. The number started to grow a lot when he became exclusive. Either they said "you're going to put out x number of videos a year" or they're funding a lot of the work and he wants to release as much as possible to keep the money coming after his contract's up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:19 am 
Penguin

Hey

Well if jay was to release a dvd every 4 months we would all want more i know i would. Im glad that he releases loads of DVD's because that means we keep learning from one of magics greater minds. Jay sankey got me into magic when i saw a demo on this site and then i thought he was the greatest magician and i still think it now.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:30 am 

You know what I was thinking the exact same thing, a lot of his "new tricks" he puts in his recent DVDs are very similar to his previous work or another magician's effect just utilizing a different method or a different idea that 'we could use' on a particular effect, in my opinion I think he needs to slow down, ever heard of the sentence 'good work needs time' I don't know if those are the exact words in English I just translated it from Greek but I think you get my drift. Him releasing a new product every month will just end up many people getting bored of him and not buying another Sankey product until they hear some reviews, like me, I haven't bought a Sankey DVD for awhile now, but since I now heard Front Row is a good DVD and one of his best thus far this will be my next purchase.
Do you like Lee Asher and his material? I think many of you do, but *why* is his material always excellent and something new, because he takes his time to think, to create, and when he finally releases something new it will be something original and excellent material.
That is why I think Jay Sankey should slow down, anyone else with me?
j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:45 am 
Penguin

Hey

What really pi**'s me off is that even though you say things like this you will still buy his work and then probably e-mail him saying o i loved this i loved that. Just get a grip. why do you get peeved if he is simplafying a method, that means we can do the trick.

Mark

P.s im sure it doesn't apply to all of you, but those who it does just think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:00 am 
Emperor Penguin

Well he does have to continue making a living. Personally I don't mind how much stuff he comes out with, as I am not buying it "left and right." In fact I would much prefer to see new material released often, as opposed to long droughts of nothing at all. What irks me mostly is the recycling/overlap of the material. But I am sure if nothing was being released we would be hearing "when is Jay going to release something again?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:15 pm 

The recycling isn't usually all that bad. Paperclipped and Full Lotus are both great effects that are in essence the same thing. I would agree that he over uses a few moves, but I do the same thing when I create magic. I use my favorite moves because they are the ones that I'm most comfortable with. He use to put out the same tricks on multiple videos, but he's stopped doing that also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:56 am 
Penguin

Maybe he is like Charles [edited]...who got paid by the word...

But seriously, his stuff is great and we should be happy he likes releasing all this material to us. Like "Greatest Hits"....3 discs...nice.