View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Hey, LET ME SEE THAT DECK, FAKER!!!!!!!!!!!"
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:01 pm 
born to perform.

What do you do when you use a gimmick (such as Invisible Deck, One Way Force Deck, Special Assortment Deck, Gemini Pouch, etc..) and the spectator asks you to hand over the deck, or other gimmiked thing, right then and there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:04 pm 
born to perform.

Maybe try a deck switch, or you can do all sleight of hand tricks so you don't have to worry about them examining the deck.

Post subject: Re: "Hey, LET ME SEE THAT DECK, FAKER!!!!!!!!!!!"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:58 pm 
Penguin

kudda2 wrote:
What do you do when you use a gimmick (such as Invisible Deck, One Way Force Deck, Special Assortment Deck, Gemini Pouch, etc..) and the spectator asks you to hand over the deck, or other gimmiked thing, right then and there?

Say "no."

Post subject: you're doing it all wrong then sorry
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:42 pm 
Penguin

Honestly if you do a trick where someone wants to examine the props, you are simply doing the trick wrong. Magic does not happen in your hands, in a deck of cards, it doesnt even happen on stage. It happens in the mind of the spectator, keep that in mind, the affect is in their head and no where else. The focus should be on the person and not the trick, it takes experience to get that right. But it has been a long time since someone has asked to view the props. Also I never claim to "do magic" I tend to take the attitude of "I'm a regular guy who learned to do some cool stuff" It makes the experience better for everyone. My motto is not "master magic dude", its "master of the possible" it acually says that on my card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:23 pm 

Holy crap. A new guy that can make a point. I haven't seen one of those in a very long time. He's right, if they want to examine your props, you're probably doing something wrong. On the other hand, some specs are just like that. I've had someone ask to see my deck and try to use it as a Stripper Deck. Some people know how certain things work and just don't like to be fooled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 am 
Penguin

Usually when I do tricks w/gimmicked deck, I will put the deck in my pocket when I am done with the trick. When asked to examine the deck I will take out a ordinary deck.

It also helps to do some tricks w/a regular deck first. Reinforce in their minds that you are using a regular deck and then hit them w/a invis deck trick or card-toon.

Gimmicked decks are good for certain things, but learning some slight of hand tricks w/a regular deck is well worth the time.

BW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:29 pm 
born to perform.

Sometimes it's in peoples blood to try and mess up the trick or ask to examine everything. My Uncle, who performed magic when he was VERY young, always asks to see the deck. He then checks it to make sure it isn't a Svengali, Stripper or Marked Deck. He's been doing this the list two years, every time I bring a deck out. What's quite entertaining is I do a deck switch sometimes and use a Stripper :)

Anyways, back on topic. Exodus, as well as drspankenstein are right. The spectators don't want to examine things when a trick is done right....99% of the time. Act normally. Take the Gemini Pouch for instance. It can't be examined. When you finish the trick, don't say 'Examine the deck' and quickly take the pouch. That would look suspicious, unless your good with misdirection. When the trick is done, leave the items on the table for a second and then take both at once. This way, they won't say 'Why are you taking the pouch away?' since you have both the Pouch and Deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:23 pm 
Penguin

when someone says it comes with experience. Well, what do you do if your just beginning in the gimmick field? Just get over it?

~Kyle~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:32 pm 
born to perform.

Sometimes when the sitituation gets to extreme just walk away, or say i am sorry, with that attitude you wont see anything including my magic. and then walk away.

Scott Romansky

Post subject: ''hey, let me check the deck,faker!!!!!!!!''
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:53 am 
born to perform.

what happen when you perform at party or places that u can't just walk away?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:13 pm 
Penguin

I say "Before i started the show today i beat somone to death with this pack of cards are you sure you want your fingerprints on them" the continue with another trick or use the time to do a switch.
so you all know i have been doing stand up comedy for 3 years so all my shows have humour in them so saying something like that fits in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:17 pm 
Penguin

Learn a deck disappearance and then say this deck.....why....(disappear deck).....what deck.

then you have another magic trick aswell as the one using the trick deck.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:10 am 
Penguin

if you put your mind to it you can make a routine with a regular deck that requires a gimmick deck

ex.

invisible deck
i now have my own way of doing that without the actually invisible deck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:15 pm 
born to perform.

With a trick like the invisible deck, you shouldn't worry. After all, it just looks like a deck with a card turned face up. Unless of course, you use Black Tigers. Echhh.

Don't handle your trick decks like they're precious, be casual with them. Don't have like double sleeving on every single card, a special made cast for the box with Michael Ammar's autograph on it, you get the picture.

If you do the Invisible Deck, and people ask to see the cards, you're doing it wrong. Rethink your handling.

Also, if they still are sticklers about the gimmicked decks thing, just club 'em over the head with your specially made iron cast of David Copperfield's face! Problem solved!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:52 pm 
born to perform.

with trick decks, you definitely need a real deck with you at all times when doing a street-magic type performance. in the case of invisible deck, say "wait wait i'll do it again." turn around and say you're going to put a card face up. in that second do a deck switch and say "you know wat, i'll show you the deck" then proceed to do an awsome card routine.