View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I dont get it?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:12 pm 
Penguin

I dont get it. What is the point of this section. I persionally dont like to write or read essays. Im not trying to be mean either. Can somebody please tell me why this section was created.

Post subject: Re: I dont get it?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:14 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Well, just because you don't like to read or write essays doesn't mean everybody else doesn't!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:15 pm 

Well, this section wasa created for magicians(like sirbrad :P ) to post essays over magic, nothing more.

You don't have to read or write anything, its for the magicians who like to read and write about their veiws of tricks, slieghts, or pretty much anything to do with magic.

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:02 pm 
born to perform.

Simple- If you don't have a essay don't post a thing. If you don't like to read essays don't open this forum. What's the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:04 pm 

The point is that many of the older people here like to help people. Occasionally, helping means typing out a very long post that could apply to a lot of different situations. I think it's a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:57 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Well said all four of you. The point also is to preserve some of the little quality magic discussion that goes on around here, as well as actually encourage it. Most of the discussion, or compositions get buried under "what do I buy with $30 bucks" topics.

I am sure the majority will be appreciative of a forum such as this where they can kick back and read about magic theory, philosophical, sociological, and personal presentation philosophies of others to name a few. Especially by those with adequate experience on those subjects, and who could possibly save a budding magician from many of the mistakes that are so common while beginning the magic journey.

Or if not save them, maybe at least provide some insight as to how to deal with them more sufficiently, and overcome them. This forum could only help encourage the discussion of magic around here, and that is definitely a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:05 am 

WOW..............................................

Have I gone crazy or something?? Finally some QUALITY MAGIC DISCUSSION ON THE PENGUIN MAGIC FORUMS!!!

Must say this forum was worth making after all, I actually wasn't too keen on the idea as I didn't think it would be put into good use, not the case after all. Even if not all people write essays (people like me LOL) there are some great replies and that offers a lot to the forum. I haven't read everything yet, give me two or three days :) I like reading an essay when I'm free of all thoughts. Will read a few tonight.
Thanks Tim! Jared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:50 am 
born to perform.

sirbrad wrote:
Well said all four of you. The point also is to preserve some of the little quality magic discussion that goes on around here, as well as actually encourage it. Most of the discussion, or compositions get buried under "what do I buy with $30 bucks" topics.

I am sure the majority will be appreciative of a forum such as this where they can kick back and read about magic theory, philosophical, sociological, and personal presentation philosophies of others to name a few. Especially by those with adequate experience on those subjects, and who could possibly save a budding magician from many of the mistakes that are so common while beginning the magic journey.

Or if not save them, maybe at least provide some insight as to how to deal with them more sufficiently, and overcome them. This forum could only help encourage the discussion of magic around here, and that is definitely a good thing.

I stopped reading that. There were too many big words.

jk :wink:

I would consider myself new to magic, but I enjoy reading magic essays. I know that many people new to magic don't want to take the time to do this (just look at this topic!), which in the end, will not be beneficial neither those people or magic itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:58 am 

If an essay is being written wisely and no nonsense is being written then not only I find them very enjoyable to read but makes you think about some stuff, I know I have.
I believe that someone who decides writing an essay should have a basic knowledge about magic and enough experience to therefore being able to share his thoughts and what he has learned from his experience in magic al this time.
For example sirbrad's Is Magic Really Worth It? essay wouldn't have been written if sirbrad didn't spend all these years doing magic. He has gained experience and knows what he's talking about. And practically anyone can write an essay, just the stuff that he knows is enough to share his thoughts.
I read all of the posts posted in this forum and this is my secont favourite forum after General Magic Discussion, if something is being posted in it of cource :lol:.
j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:54 am 
Emperor Penguin

Jared is correct. I have always been committed to conveying 'my own personal experiences,' not those experiences of others. In fact I never even cared much for essays in school, but that is mostly because I was always forced to write about something I did not really like, or something in which I did not have much experience in. Although I could have written essays such as this even back then, a public school is not the place to relay such information obviously.

But of course my experience was substantially less back then, but still sufficient. That is why I spend so much time giving advice, as I have already 'been there done that.' But I can assure you that if I was still about 15 or 16, I would not be on these forums as much as many teens are today. I was actually out formulating that experience I now have, and I wanted to do nothing but perform as much as possible. But I also did many other things as well, and still do. But magic has provided me with a wealth of new opportunities, and continues to do so.