View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blaine's use of gimmicks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:26 pm 
born to perform.

Well, the two recently posted polls caused alot of commotion. Most of which included something along the lines of "Blaine is a fake. He's a poser for using gimmicks." :roll:

Now I'm not supporting Blaine, but I am certainly not against him. The same goes for my stand on gimmicks. In my opinion, you can be a great magician if 100% of your reportoire is gimmicked, and you can be a great magician if 100% of your reportoire is sleight of hand only. But I do think that in both cases, the magician can be missing out from magic's true potential. So of course, when I see people saying Oz is better than Blaine because Blaine uses too many gimmicks, I feel sick to my stomach.

Gimmicks has nothing to do with how good either one of them is. One of the main reasons why I feel David is actually a good magician is by one of the things he says to Leonardo DiCaprio in his interview on one of his TV specials. He sates that "Magic is an art. But today, if people want to learn about magic, they have to go a library and look under hobbies and games." He says this with a disgusted voice. This shows that he truely cares for his art. He also states alot of things through out the special that shows that he also has a wide knowledge of magic's history.

Now, this is mainly directed to the people who think that David uses ONLY or TOO MANY gimmicks, thus making him a bad magician (which is an absurd comment anyway). You probably won't understand that using them won't make you a bad magician, so if the following is the only way I can get my message to you, then so be it:

I watched the David Blaine Fearless DVD (Containing the best of all of his TV specials, except for Vertigo (Street Magic, Magic Man, and Frozen in Time.)

Here are the statistics:

Of the 50 effects peformed on the specials, 30% of them used factory manufactured gimmicks. (Examples include Bite Out Quarter, Rising Card Deck, Invisible Deck, etc)

69.94% of them were a mixture of both Impromptu effects, and effects needing slight set-up. (An example of an impromptu trick was the ACR, and an example of a trick requiring a slight set up was a Here then There Transposition). Of the 69.94 percent, 47.75% required some set up, and 56.25% of them were completely impromptu.

0.06% of them I consider to be a category X. These are effects that were mainly there for television purposes only, and would be extremely unpractical on the street, such as "Card in Spectators Shoe."

So to the people who were basing Blaine's skill on the fact that he uses too many gimmicks (and I'll say again, this is a dumb thing to base your opinion on), you are still wrong, as when you compare the amount of gimmicked tricks, to the amount of tricks requiring set-up, to the tricks that are completely impromptu, the latter takes the majority!

-Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:32 pm 
born to perform.

Good post Tony,

It's about time someone stood up for Blaine. While he's FAR from my favorite magician, he still deserves respect for all he has accomplished(magic, and popularity wise).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:34 pm 
born to perform.

I guess I should add that he's certainly not one of my favorites either, but I think the guy is very talented. I'm just sick of kids bashing him because he uses an invisible deck....

Oh well,

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:39 pm 
born to perform.

I dislike gimmicks that take the place of a slieght (sp?)

Blaine is more "stunt" to me than magic, but I don't have cable thankfully so I can't watch this stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:47 pm 
born to perform.

Thank God, Finally someone who cares about Blaine and not bashing him like the rest of penguins here....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:53 pm 

Blaine has seriosu skill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:56 pm 

My main problem with him is that, though he is mechanically gifted, he has absolutely no presentation. While some of you will say that having no presentation is his presentation, I know and regularly speak with a good number of professional magicians and they say the same thing. Not to mention the Messiah Complex. I don't even want to go into that. Camera editing is ridiculous. I just don't see why he has to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:01 pm 
born to perform.

You see.

That is a legitimate reason on why not to like Blaine. I highly respect your opinion.

And I will agree with you. However, there were some scenes on his DVD where his presentation wasn't that bad. The only one that comes to mind right now, was when he was in the football locker room, and did a 2 card monte to one of the players. I thought he was remarkably casual, and presented it well. However, in the very next trick he performed, all you could hear was "Watch, just look, look, look, look, watch man, watch look, ahh, watch, look, uhhh..." :lol:

There were other scenes where it sounded as though he has a flu. There were other scenes where he sounded like a homosexual hair stylist, and there were some where he wouldn't crack a smile, and some where he was laughing throughout a trick. The majority of his presentations were dull, however.

-Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:03 pm 

That's the main problem I have with him. His presentation sound like Morse Code using Look and Watch instead of Beep and Beeeeeeeeeeeep. THat's the only difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:05 pm 
born to perform.

Hahaha. Next time I watch it, instead of taking a list of the tricks he performed, I'll make list of how many times he says "Look" and "Watch"

:lol:

-Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:16 pm 

Although I don't like Mr. Blaine's performing style or his use of camera tricks, I have to admit that he is probably one of the greatest magicians of our time. Here is why:

1. He has gained world recognition through repeated T.V. specials
2. He has made millions of dollars using magic as a medium of entertainment;
3. He has been astute enough to realize that it is the audience reaction that counts and not the magic itself.
4. He has sparked a greater enthusiasm and interest in magic than many other magicians of our time; and,
5. He has helped to boost the sales of magic dealers around the world.

I can't think of many other magicians who can say they have done the same for the craft or the business side of the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:22 pm 
Penguin

Magic is an art of entertaining. He entertains me. Therefore, he's a good magician. It's as simple as that, and the pros know it.

Most of the people who run around this place denouncing Blaine are just frustrated teenage boys who are into magic right now as a passing phase of their adolescence.

You don't hear Blaine criticizing Copperfield do you? No professional magician, or anybody trying to act in a professional manner, would denounce another magician. It's so utterly immature. If you don't like somebody's style, then don't watch their television special. FINE. You don't criticize them and tell other people "If you like this guy, don't watch him, because I don't like him."

And guess what... the same people who keep screaming about what a hack Blaine is, even as we speak, are writing down on their calendar the exact time and date of Blaine's upcoming television special, because they wouldn't dare miss a minute of it. Total hypocrites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:27 pm 

Have you thought about the fact that many people watch his shows so they know what they want to take out of their shows because Blaine's used it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:28 pm 
born to perform.

coolsnail wrote:
Magic is an art of entertaining. He entertains me. Therefore, he's a good magician. It's as simple as that, and the pros know it.

Most of the people who run around this place denouncing Blaine are just frustrated teenage boys who are into magic right now as a passing phase of their adolescence.

You don't hear Blaine criticizing Copperfield do you? No professional magician, or anybody trying to act in a professional manner, would denounce another magician. It's so utterly immature. If you don't like somebody's style, then don't watch their television special. FINE. You don't criticize them and tell other people "If you like this guy, don't watch him, because I don't like him."

And guess what... the same people who keep screaming about what a hack Blaine is, even as we speak, are writing down on their calendar the exact time and date of Blaine's upcoming television special, because they wouldn't dare miss a minute of it. Total hypocrites.

Very well said.

I really like your last comment. Quite true.

Cheers,

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:14 pm 
born to perform.

[quote="tonyjones102"][quote="coolsnail"]Magic is an art of entertaining. He entertains me. Therefore, he's a good magician. It's as simple as that, and the pros know it.

[b]You don't hear Blaine criticizing Copperfield do you?[/b] No professional magician, or anybody trying to act in a professional manner, would denounce another magician. It's so utterly immature. If you don't like somebody's style, then don't watch their television special. FINE. You don't criticize them and tell other people "If you like this guy, don't watch him, because I don't like him."

And guess what... the same people who keep screaming about what a hack Blaine is, even as we speak, are writing down on their calendar the exact time and date of Blaine's upcoming television special, because they wouldn't dare miss a minute of it. Total hypocrites.[/quote]

Very well said.

I really like your last comment. Quite true.

Cheers,

Tony[/quote]

Nah, you hear Lee Asher bashing oz.