View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Levitation Rant
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:11 am 
Penguin

What is the fascination with levitations? They seem to be the “end all” magic trick with young people and newbies.

I’m not saying levitations are not cool, but they are incredibly difficult to pull off and then be believable.

Sorry, but with levs, either you are standing on something or hanging from something – there are no other explanations – people can not fly. And the lay person knows this – and to make someone believe that you are defying a natural law, is very hard to do.

I’d much rather dispel a belief in speed, or agility or ANYTHING before I try to convince someone that I can fly.

Yea, yea – the guy on TV did it, and it was so cool, but do you want to be an awesome magician or do you want to be that guy on TV? So, you do a lev, (any particular one, it does not matter) and your audience says, “Oh yea. I saw that guy on TV do that.” I want people to see me…as a magician I am a bit of a narcissist.

If you are a newcomer to magic, please forget about levs for right now. You should focus on your craft and getting it down smooth, and if you already know the Balducci – GREAT – as Blaine (your hero) showed you, it is the best lev out there even if it is easy and free. Practice that effect until you can do it flawlessly – so that you can do it in your sleep. If you can do the Balducci perfectly, then nobody will even know you are doing a lev you found on the internet, or one you paid $250 for.

Magic is magic.

In my opinion, the Balducci is a far better effect than almost all other levitations on the market. Don’t knock something because it is old. The best magis are the Jedi Masters not the young padewans.

David Kenney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:13 am 

I'm sorry Brother but I strongly and respectfully disagree with your essay. What you've written is just *your* opinion, not a fact. So you are trying to tell us to perform *only* the Balducci and not perform other levitations because they are expensive or hard to accompish? Does it mean that because a levitation is difficult to accomplish we should all not perform it or not get into the "trouble" to set it up?
Many knowledgeable people of this forum ( and even other forums) have posted the fact that it isn't *how* something is accomplished but what it looks to the spectators' eyes (gosh I've said this like three times today... :roll:) if we all would stop doing magic or any other self-levitations because they are hard to accomplish or because they need a lot of setup, or because we don't like the method then magicians wouldn't exist today.
I agree that the Balducci is probably the best levitation there is, but that is just our personal opinion, others might like the King Rising or the Elevator etc because they can achieve something that cannot be achieved with the Balducci, truth be told other levitations are much more convincing than the Balducci, and because they take a lot of setup that doesn't mean we shouldn't buy them or perform them. It is how it looks to the spectators' eyes, remember that only *we the magicians* are aware of the methods to our magic, the spectators aren't, they still see it like magic, think about how it looks to them.
Same with David Blaine ( haven't read your essay about him yet will do now), he uses camera tricks so what? His goal was to entertain and amaze laymen people not magicians, did he achieve that? Of cource he did, laymen don't know he's done a bit of cam editing it is how the magic looked to their eyes and they did enjoy it.
Same with gimmicks, specs don't know that you use a gimmick, to them it still looks like magic, gimmick or no gimmick.
Point being is that I don't believe that you shouldn't buy levitation effects because of their method, only *you* know the method to a levitation and for the record, even though I still say the Balducci is the best there is, I am seriously considering purchasing the Elevator or Elevator II in the future ahead.
j

Last edited by JaredGill on Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:14 am 

PS Why do you think only youngsters and newbies buy self-levitations? That isn't a fact either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:42 am 
born to perform.

the title is true, this topic is a "Rant".

you are ranting on about what you think and beleive. Half the stuff you said isnt even true.

You said people know that you cant fly. <- this is true, but i have fooled hundreds of people with wild levitation, Kings rising, and the Balducci levitation.

Seeing is beleiving, If they see your feet come up off the ground, and they can see under (so they think) them that you arnt standing on anything. thye are going to think you are really floating. In ther minds there is no other explanation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:14 am 

Btw David I wasn't aware what 'rant' means and that's why I posted that some stuff you posted isn't fact, sry :oops: We're all welcome to post our thoughts and opinions.
Haven't got a chance to welcome you I see you're a new guy here, welcome aboard and stick around ;). Jared

Post subject: Rant Rant.....for Jared
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:49 am 
Penguin

Hey Jared -

YOU SAID - So you are trying to tell us to perform *only* the Balducci and not perform other levitations because they are expensive or hard to accomplish?

Ah, no – never said that at all, I think Fearson’s Lev is awesome! (So, is the Elevator)
What I did say,

1. it is the best lev out there even if it is easy and free.
2. If you can do the Balducci perfectly, then nobody will even know you are doing a lev you found on the internet, or one you paid $250 for.

YOU SAID - Does it mean that because a levitation is difficult to accomplish we should all not perform it or not get into the "trouble" to set it up?

Ah no – never said that at all. Sorry, if that was the “message” you heard.

YOU SAID - if we all would stop doing magic or any other self-levitations because they are hard to accomplish or because they need a lot of setup, or because we don't like the method then magicians wouldn't exist today.

True, I never said anything about “set up” time or “not liking the method.” I never said OTHER levs were crap, I simply said,…

“In my opinion, the Balducci is a far better effect than almost all other levitations on the market.”

YOU SAID - What you've written is just *your* opinion, not a fact.

True, I even close my essay with those EXACT WORDS “In my opinion….”

YOU SAID – “I agree that the Balducci is probably the best levitation there is”
BUT THEN YOU SAID - I'm sorry Brother but I strongly and respectfully disagree with your essay

Ok, but my essay is about the Balducci being better in my opinion…..so either you agree or you don’t…I’m confused.

YOU SAID - I don't believe that you shouldn't buy levitation effects because of their method

I agree with you – I don’t recall saying that in my essay.

YOU SAID - Why do you think only youngsters and newbies buy self-levitations? That isn't a fact either.

You’re right, it’s not a fact, and I never said “only newbs and youngsters buy levs.” I said

“What is the fascination (meaning they are fascinated by them) with levitations? They seem to be the “end all” magic trick (meaning an important topic) with young people and newbies.”

Thanks for your questions….

Good luck,

David Kenney Magic
Davidkenneymagic@aol.com
http://dkmagic.blogspot.com/ - New effects every week!

Post subject: Rant rant.....Jerry 2050
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:04 pm 
Penguin

Jerry 2050 –

You said: “you are ranting on about what you think and believe. Half the stuff you said isn’t even true.”

By your own admission, you just wrote a contradiction.
1. you are ranting on about what you think and believe – right, which means it is an “opinion”
2. half the stuff you said isn’t even true – why does an “opinion” have to be “true?” Can’t my opinion be just what it is…MY opinion?

YOU SAID - You said people know that you cant fly. <- this is true, but i have fooled hundreds of people with wild levitation, Kings rising, and the Balducci levitation.

Again, a contradiction.
1. You said people know that you cant fly. <- this is true (Yes, it IS true which was my POINT, but your reply to me was supposed to be about stuff I said that “isn’t even true”)
2. but I have fooled hundreds of people… - RIGHT, you fooled them, but they still “believe” that people can’t fly (truth). You didn’t change their “belief”

YOU SAID - Seeing is believing,

You honestly think that you audience “believes” you are magical? WOW! You must be an incredible magician! I’m serious. I have been doing magic for 20 years, and I know that my audience knows I am a magician, which means I perform “magic tricks” not actual “magic.” I hope my audience does not believe I am a conjuror or warlock. If I did truly possess magical powers, I would hope that I would use them in a constructive manor to assist mankind, not play with cards and coins all day.

YOU SAID - In their minds there is no other explanation.

I think that even though an audience smiles and claps and “oohs and ahhs,” there ARE other explanations. They just know that you “fooled” them which you stated in your own reply (“but I have fooled hundreds of people”) People will right it off to either:
1. Sleight of hand.
2. You being faster than they can watch (hand quicker than the eye – lie)
3. You having a secret device – trap doors, mirrors, twins, trick deck
4. You having secret knowledge.

So, in fact – the audience does “know all of our methods” they just don’t “know for a fact” which one you used on them.

Thanks for your questions….

Good luck,

David Kenney Magic
Davidkenneymagic@aol.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:00 am 
born to perform.

wow, that was a good break down of every thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:54 am 
Why did you only touch self levitation? I might add a little with respect to IT. Many people here preech the Hummer Card. But, when you show such a visually stunning idea, people will be more likely to figure it out every instant that they see it. Eventually after about 10 seconds, they will come to a concluson. the magician must be using something that is too thin to see in order to make that card look like it is floating. It is the obvious and correct answer. However, should you only levitate an object for a half a second, the amazing effect is still there, but it doesn't have the same down time that allows spectators to figure it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:56 am 

John those are my thoughts exactly on the Hummer card and it suprises me that mostly everyone recommends it, I just don't get it. I'm not saying, I think the Hummer card is a clever hookup of the IT is clever and enables you to do awesome moves with the card spinning in the air, but yes it's near to logic.
I have done it some times to real people ( but not in a paid gig LOL) and none of them mentioned anything but I'm almost sure by remembering the look on their face "he's gotta have some sort of IT attached to the card", what I like with it however is the fact that the card you shall float may be examined before and after and nothing can be spotted.
Although a lot of people *will* susspect the secret it's still a beautiful thing to watch I believe.

Post subject: Re: The Levitation Rant
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:59 am 
Emperor Penguin

davidkenneymagic wrote:

Magic is magic.

That is about the only statement in your post that I agreed with. Whether it be card work, coins, rope, silks, sponge balls, or levitations, magic is indeed magic. Are you saying that everything else that a magician does besides levitations, is not supposedly defying the laws of nature?

That is absurd, this is the whole point of magic in general, as well as to further dismiss any doubt that what the magician is performing could be nothing less, or nothing short of an absolute miracle....You are singling out one element of conjuring, and trying to discredit it for some odd reason, perhaps you were ripped off by one of those websites who con people.

Although levitations may not always be 'practical' for all occasions, this does not mean that they cannot be effective giving the right circumstance, and atmosphere. You are merely expressing your own distaste for this particular genre, but your opinion is not one that is universally shared I am afraid.

Levitations have their place in magic just as all the other forms have their place. Personal preference is about all it amounts to in this case, and you are basing your theories off of 'method/secret' of an effect, which is completely irrelevant to an effect's potential success.

Also "speed" is not going to dispel belief, it will merely create more speculation, and more disbelief. But not the kind of disbelief you are aiming to create, but the disbelief that you are not doing anything magical at all, you simply have "fast hands." Also, are you implying that "the guy on TV" has never been "an awesome magician?" Does this also mean that anyone who has ever received air-time has never been "awesome?"

During my performances I have very rarely ever heard the phrase "guy on TV," and that is after 25 years of performances so far. My Spectators are there to see my show, not compare me to some guy on TV. In fact many don't even remember "that guy on TV," just because we "the magician" remember him, we immediately assume everyone else does.

Most people have their own personal interests that they would rather occupy their minds with, not ours "the magician's" interests. Say a friend and I were walking by a lake, and we see a fisherman fishing. My friend is also a fisherman, but lets say I am not.

The fisherman catches a huge fish, and my friend immediately runs over excited. Chances are very good that he would remember every detail about that fish later on, and I would eventually just forget about it all. It did not pertain to my interest, so why should I carry it around in my thoughts?

Quote:
If you are a newcomer to magic, please forget about levs for right now. You should focus on your craft and getting it down smooth.

Are implying that levitations are some sort of separate entity, and not part of "the craft?" What exactly does your criteria of the term "craft" consist of? Let others decide what they want their repertoire to consist of, don't try and impose your own personal preferences on them. Although this may make for an interesting debate, many of your "opinions" have a lot of holes in them, but yes you did relay that they were merely opinions.

Yes "magic is magic," and it need not be limited by method, price, or personal opinion, it is only limited by your imagination...

Post subject: Reply to Sir Brad, from Sir Mojo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:24 pm 
Penguin

Sirbrad-

YOU WROTE : Are you saying that everything else that a magician does besides levitations, is not supposedly defying the laws of nature?

No

YOU WROTE: You are singling out one element of conjuring, and trying to discredit it for some odd reason, perhaps you were ripped off by one of those websites who con people.

Yes, I am singling out one element of conjuring, I defer you to my title: The Levitation Rant (this is not an essay about magic as a whole, otherwise it would be longer and more indepth)

In answer to your second question, No, I was not ripped off by a website. But thanks for the concern.

YOU WROTE: You are merely expressing your own distaste for this particular genre.

I WROTE: “I’m not saying levitations are not cool…” (THEY ARE!)

YOU WROTE: Levitations have their place in magic just as all the other forms have their place. Personal preference is about all it amounts to in this case, and you are basing your theories off of 'method/secret' of an effect, which is completely irrelevant to an effect's potential success.

I completely and 100% agree with you.

YOU WROTE: Also, are you implying that "the guy on TV" has never been "an awesome magician?" Does this also mean that anyone who has ever received air-time has never been "awesome?"
No way, I defer you to my David Blaine rant essay.

YOU WROTE: I have very rarely ever heard the phrase "guy on TV,"

So you HAVE heard it, which is my point, I never said every person says that. It’s my goal to be as original as I can from other magicians.

YOU WROTE: Are implying that levitations are some sort of separate entity, and not part of "the craft?"

No, I am implying that some newcomers obsess only about levs and not on the actual “craft” of magic. I defer you to the first line of the essay…

“What is the fascination with levitations? They seem to be the “end all” magic trick with young people and newbies.” – This was my thesis – nothing less – nothing more.

YOU WROTE: Let others decide what they want their repertoire to consist of, don't try and impose your own personal preferences on them.

I never imposed or forced my opinion on anyone – a rant – an essay is a free speech forum to allow me to present my opinion – if this is not the case, then I missed the point of this forum and I apologize.

YOU WROTE: Although this may make for an interesting debate, many of your "opinions" have a lot of holes in them

Holes are holes, magic is magic, opinion is opinion. If my purpose was to spark conversation then my essay was right on target.
Thank you so much for your input!

Good luck in your craft,

David Kenney Magic
Davidkenneymagic@aol.com

Post subject: Hummer rant
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:29 pm 
Penguin

John and Jared –

Bleah, you are right – don’t get me started about Hummer Card – that trick is at the mall and even Disneyland – so you can’t “see the string” so what?

The “physics” of the effect S C R E A M that there is invisible thread – just because I can’t “see” the thread, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

I can’t see the wind either….

Good luck,

David Kenney Magic
Davidkenneymagic@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Hummer rant
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:58 pm 
born to perform.

davidkenneymagic wrote:
John and Jared –

Bleah, you are right – don’t get me started about Hummer Card – that trick is at the mall and even Disneyland – so you can’t “see the string” so what?

The “physics” of the effect S C R E A M that there is invisible thread – just because I can’t “see” the thread, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

I can’t see the wind either….

Good luck,

David Kenney Magic
Davidkenneymagic@aol.com

as a layperson, i thought a dollar bill was really floating and found out it was done by string when buying the floating dollar bill. i don't think everyone knows what invisible thread is or the possibility of it, as i didn't.

one more thing, i believe king rising levitation is better than balducci because it is done with the same number of people, (as it has the same angle problems) but you need misdirection and for a better payoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:53 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
When I was a laymen ( not that long ago ) I got interested in magic by Criss Angels levitation. I wanted to learn how to do it and ever since then my interest in magic has grown and grown. Anyway, whenever I hear one of my laymen friends talk about Criss Angel they always talk about his levitatiion. I have also got great reactions with the Balducci from them because while its amazing a pro magician on tv can levitate 5 feet in the air, its even more amazing for their friend they have known for years to levitate, even if it is only a couple inches off the ground. And when I first ordered a couple things from Penguin and I saw the demo for the Hummer, I didnt think of IT. I didnt know of such a thing and I didnt think such a thing existed and probably wouldnt have thought it possible if I did.