View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DOVe magic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:54 pm 
Penguin

ANybody know a good dove magic book? And if you do dove magic do you enjoy it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:02 am 
born to perform.

The only Dove magic book I know of is "The Encyclopedia of Dove Magic" by Marian Chavez.
I niether own it nor preform Dove magic, but I have bn thinking of starting (need to get some money 1st)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:14 am 
born to perform.

I did a quick search and came back with these results for dove magic books.

Cagey Doves by Tom Palmer

Dove Worker's Handbook (2 Volumes) by Mickey Hades

Dovetail Deceptions by Torino / Kardyro

Encyclopedia of Dove Magic by Marian Chavez

Tops Treasury of Dove Magic by Neil Foster

I don't do dove magic, so I can't recommend any of these, but the Encyclopedia of Dove Magic seems like a good place to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:44 am 
Penguin

As you can see by my picture, I do dove magic. I have done it for many years. It is very beautiful magic.

There are what I consider to be two types of dove magic. Body loads and prop presentations. Examples of the first are a bare handed dove production, split doves (making one dove held in your hand instantly turn into two), doves from scarfs or silks etc... An example of the second would be the dove pan or other production / vanishing device that rests on your table. Therefore I came up with this, my own catagories.

I have and use "The Encyclopedia of Dove Magic" by Marian Chavez. This is wonderfu for the first type. I also have "Encyclopedia of Dove Magic"volume 3 bu Ian Adair. This book explaines how to build and use the "prop" type of dove magic. I also use an instructional video featuring Shimada. He goes into great detail. this video also has card manipulation instruction on it.

If you are going to do dove magic, get a book on how to take care of them and keep them clean.

I would love to talk dove magic with you. Please send me a PM. 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:31 am 
Penguin

thank you. wow you seem ike you know alot. i simply love all the effects you can just do with yuor hands with dove magic. Which of the two categories of dove magic do you like? or do you like to do a little of both. cani ask you what is a rubber dove. it has mentioned it in my book and i don't know what it is. What si one of your favorite effects with doves? do you nkow where i czan find the encyclopedia to dove magic of good price?I tried to send you a pm and for soem reason it didn't work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:23 am 
Penguin

I did get the PM. Thanks

I'm glad to see you have an interest in dove magic!
Couple of questions. How old are you? Have you been doing magic long?
To answer your questions, I like doing the body load dove magic when doing stage performances. Producing a dive from a silk or vanishing one while just standing there with no props other than a silk is challenging. I also us an assistant to take them when I am done with them. I use props like the dove pan when doing a show by myself and I am not on a stage. When I finish with the dove, I put it in a cage off to one side so the kids can look at them.

A rubber dove is exactly that. A fake dove made out of robber. Sometimes if you need to keep a dove in a hiding place for a long time, use a rubber ne so it wont get hurt.

I think that my favorite trick with a dove is the appeqaring bird cage with a live dove in it. I don't have one. Lots of money.

I started out with 2 doves that I baught from some guy who raised pigeons. I eventually ended up with 16 of them from that one pair. My grandpa at that time wanted to raise some. that is how many we had between the 2 of us. they are not hard to take care of. I kept mine outside of course, in a pen that was big enough for me to get insode of. There were plenty of feeders for the food and lots of water. the water should be changed every day along with the waste from the birds so they keep clean. I just fed them chicken scratch. they usually did not eat the peas in it or the wheat. Sometimes I got just regular bird seed with millet and moli. They liked that.

Have fun 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:11 pm 
Penguin

The best source I've come across on the topic is Tony Clark Unmasks...In it he teaches how to care for them and train them to fly back to you. It also gives some of his easier routines and effects by a number of different people.