View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Comedy tips..
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:39 pm 
Penguin

I'm putting together my first kids show in september......I have all the tricks ....down ...I just need some advice on comedy for kids.... how to get good laughs....Ive done lots of adult shows before..but never a kids show..and there kinda different for humor...I was asked to do one by one of my spectators...during an adult show....so I said ok....and..ive put together some tricks..wasnt too tough I already had a good idea...but i have two more months to get ready..with some comical things (and prepare)....but a few suggestions...would be nice..if anybody has any.....(can be a joke trick...gag......whatever)....just i need some comedy that has worked for anyother magacians who do kids shows....oh and they are 7-9...thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:23 am 
born to perform.

I'm getting into kids' shows myself. The best tips I got from a fellow magician are:

- Be as silly as possible.
- Use a lot of tricks that get kids screaming. An example could be the Die Box where they're screaming to you that you open the other side, or something like the rising wand effect where you look away as the wand rises so the kids scream at you to make you realise it's happening.
- Use big colourful props and keep them in a bright colourful bag or box.

A repetitive gag for a kids' show, if you're using balloons, is to stretch each balloon before you blow it up, and during the stretch, let it snap out of one of your hands. Feign pain and the kids laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:12 am 
Penguin

I've been doing children's shows for a number of years. I might be able to give you a couple of ideas.

If you don't have a spring animal, get one! I use a Rocky Raccoon and when done right, it slays them! I even have Rocky find a chosen card.

Any large item levitation like Zombie is a definite must have. Kids love seeing something bigger than life happen right in front of thier eyes. I also start each show doing a borrowed item lev. ala Fearson Hookup.

broken and restored wand
sponge balls
Magic coloring book
PB&J
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1051
Appearing/Disappearing crayons for coloring book.

The good thing is that if you don't currently do balloon animals, you needn't bother to learn. Many feel it's a requirement for kids shows, but most kid party magicians I know stay away from it and work all the time.

The age you are going to perform for is perfect! 7-10 yr olds have great energy, and when you perform well will reward you with exuberance and praise. They are also alot smarter than people give them credit for, so make sure your effects are flawless or they will catch you.

I hope I've been of some help. Good luck with the show and have a great time! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:15 am 
Team Penguin

anytype of animal (real or fake) gives you an automatic thumbs up. I used to use a hamster, and for the past 2 years I have been using a rabbit. I also use rocky raccoon in every show.

Be silly, but not too silly...unless you are a clown.

Your routines must keep attention and not be boring.

Research some of David Ginn's Material. I think one of the most interesting things I have read of his was in the book Kidbiz. It is called "Magician in trouble syndrome."

Kids think it is hillarious when something goes wrong for the magician or when the magician gets hurt, or in a tight situation.

Make sure there is some color in your show.

Provide some jokes that the adults at the party will laugh at as well.

Learn how to control kids.

Use as many assistants (audience participation) as possible. Especially with the birthday child. You want to make him/her feel really special.

Get a good costume. Not too dull...but not too flashy. I wear a red zoot suit, with a black button up shirt, playing cards necktie, and black and white wingtip dress shoes.

Learn how to pick your helpers. Do not pick loudmouth hecklers, if you do, then you are just asking for trouble.

Use corny jokes for the kids. Adults will think the corny jokes are stupid, but kids love corn...

Entertain the crowd...don't puzzle them. (what I mean by this is...don;t perform your magic as a puzzle unless it is a puzzle to yourself. Entertain your audience.

Use sucker tricks. These go well under the Magician in trouble syndrome topic. Kids love these tricks because it makes them think they know how the trick works or that you messed up. When doing sucker tricks, make sure to fool yourself and not the kids...or dissappointment and sometimes anger will follow. Don't make people feel stupid.

Never insult or embarass a kid.

Always try to use at least one adult helper. This way the adults get involved.

Kid the kids excited at the beginning of the show. If you fail to do this, sometimes they never actually get into the show and you will feel like you have a really tough crowd on your hands. I would suggest looking into some comedy warmups.

Have a variety of tricks. Some people disaggree with card tricks for children, but I say it is good to use them. It all depends on the routine and or trick that you do with the card as to whether or not the kids will get what is going on.

Use items big enough for everyone to see.

Most important of all....HAVE FUN!!! If you don't like kids, then you have no business doing kidshows. You need to have fun with what you are doing!!!!

I have MANY more tips, I just cannot think of them right now. When I think of some more I will slide them in here. I love kidshows. THey are my specialty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:35 pm 
Penguin

WOW!....that's a lot of good tips...Ill have to try those....thank you to everyone who has made suggestions...they will enhance my show greatly..thanks

Post subject: '
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:55 am 
born to perform.

nwo1,
Adding to what Kyle said, also before you actually begin your show you should have a 'warm up'. This gets the kids to know you and to see you are going to be fun.
This gets them laughing BEFORE your show starts and then you have them on your side, you are one of them.
If you want an example pm me and I'll send you a sample of my warm up, it has been very useful for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:10 am 
Penguin

k...thanks....can you send me a sample of your warmup?

Post subject: warm ups
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:11 am 
born to perform.

I'll PM you today.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:53 pm 
Team Penguin

Oh SLuggo...I need to tell you about my newly develped warm-up...I think you would really enjoy doing it (especially since you are a clown). I came up with it when I was at wal-mart a few weeks ago and came across quite an unusual little toy that seemed to pull MANY reactions and laughs...pm or email me as a reminder beacause I do not have time to type it up right at this moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:10 pm 
Penguin

I know this is a bit off topic, but please do not do trick after trick. I have seen this done, jusst bam, bam, bam. I do five tricks now for 45 minutes, with a lot of talking between routines so it doesn`t go boom, boom, boom. I know you might not think of this as comedy, but it is presentation that audults will spot, and deside whether or not to hire you again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:36 am 
Penguin

what do you talk about to fill in 45 minutes...5 tricks??? seems kinda scarce to me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:30 am 
Team Penguin

Well it seems that way to some people but your character should really reflect what you performance will be like. Some guys can get away with really long patter and or lots of by play and talking, and others can get away with more tricks. As long as you keep your audience happy and going, that is all that matters.

You see, his character and personality allows him to go 45 minutes with 5 tricks and lots of by-play/talking, but yours will probably be different and need a little bit more material in the tricks sense.

Post subject: Found you Mystag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:14 pm 
Penguin

You know I saw this some time ago..liked it and lost track of where I saw it. The lost is found .Nice, solid ideas. Thanks, Ron0