View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:03 pm 
Penguin

KyletheGreat wrote:
Ahem...

Guns are used constantly in movies today, (yes even kids movies) but does that result in all the children running around looking for guns in their house and shooting them at people?

No. It doesn't.

Most children know better than to grab a knife and start sawing on somebody's arm any ways. And even if they didn't they would start on the first touch!

Children are not going to go home and start cutting themselves up because of a magician's trick!

All the time children are making references to people getting sawed in half at other magic shows...does that mean that they had gone home and tried sawing somebody in half? No. Dangerous stuff is done in magic constantly and kids see it probably more than adults! BUT THIS DOES NOT RESULT IN THE CHILDREN TRYING IT!

Never say "never"

When Pretty Woman came out, the streets of major cities suddenly became flooded with young teenage grils trying to find true love by becoming a prostitute, ala Pretty Woman.

I used to work at a Prison. There's a guy there who is there for the following incidents:

He shaved his head...
Killed his girlfriend's parents...
Went on a "road trip" with his girl friend robbing and killing convienent store workers, while leaving one person alive to tell the story.

Those of you familiar with Oliver Stone's "work" might recognize this plot.... the "movie" Natural Born Killers.

Let's not forget the huge riots caused by "boyz in the hood."

Or the kid I saw sticking cigarettes up his nose because he saw a magician friend of mine do it.

Kids mimic what they see.... granted, not all kids mimic all things, but to completely dismiss the possibility that a kid might do something dangerous after seeing it in a magic show is, at the very least, irresponsible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:32 pm 
Team Penguin

In all honesty,

It depends on how the trick/effect is performed in the show that would determine as to whether or not the child would want to recreate the scene. I do a routine with my disecto similar to that of David Ginn's which involves a "Chop a Lot Food Chopper" It is a food processor that cuts food but it has a built in magical device that allows you to cut food without cuttine your skin (after you turn it on). It is a new marketed Item and I am doing the infomercial for it.

Risk is out there in every day life constantly. You don't have to use the prop. But I will. I feel safe performing it because of the way that I perform it. Like I said, magicians are constantly performing DEATH DEFYING FEATS on TV. To me, that is more of a risk than what I do. Magicians and tricks such as Malinda (drill of death) which was on the worlds greatest magic. Chris angel lights himself on fire on his televised special tonight. Bret Daniels cuts ladies in half with giant blade. The list goes on...and on...and ON!

I am finished argueing over this subject. Neither of us can win so there is no use in continuing the fight!

Kyle

Post subject: chopper
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:10 pm 
Penguin

not sure how the arm choppers work (whether they can really shop stuff and then be set to not chop). If you're doing anything with balloons, you could use a balloon in the chopper.

Post subject: doves and animals
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:14 pm 
Penguin

i think something was mentioned about doves and animals alleviating themselves during performance. I don't use animals, but one obvious point would be to give them a relatively light diet for 24 hours before the performance. It's a frightening situation for the animals, so I wouldn't blame them.

Post subject: Re: chopper
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:20 pm 
Team Penguin

mschiesl wrote:
not sure how the arm choppers work (whether they can really shop stuff and then be set to not chop). If you're doing anything with balloons, you could use a balloon in the chopper.

oh no of course not. The arm never gets touched by the blade. The magician is in control. If anything was to happen, it would most certainly be the magicians fault. The bit about turning it on and off is just part of the routine. Having a balloon in the chopper defeats the whole purpose of the routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:06 pm 
Penguin

As Kylethegreat said the arm never gets touched by the blade of the Disecto and even if it did the blade is nowhere near sharp enough to do any damage. On the topic of trying to copy the routine it is unlikely to say the most. 90% of children play with a toy gun at at least some point during their childhood. I don't see nine tenths of the population brandishing weapons on the rest of the country's citizens do you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:08 pm 
Penguin

for a kids show i recommend:

roxie raccoon
peanut butter and jelly illussion
strosphere
VANISHING BANDANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those things AT LEAST!![/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:29 pm 
born to perform.

Quentin Reynolds' 5 Minutes with a Pocket Handkerchief (DVD)
thumbtip (soft)
silks
balloons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:25 pm 
Penguin

KyletheGreat wrote:
Ahem...

Guns are used constantly in movies today, (yes even kids movies) but does that result in all the children running around looking for guns in their house and shooting them at people?

No. It doesn't.

Most children know better than to grab a knife and start sawing on somebody's arm any ways. And even if they didn't they would start on the first touch!

Children are not going to go home and start cutting themselves up because of a magician's trick!

All the time children are making references to people getting sawed in half at other magic shows...does that mean that they had gone home and tried sawing somebody in half? No. Dangerous stuff is done in magic constantly and kids see it probably more than adults! BUT THIS DOES NOT RESULT IN THE CHILDREN TRYING IT!

It boils down to one thing. If the the kid would actually try to do this stuff, the parents need to spend more time with the kid or they need to get the kid some professional help. Only a kid that is mentally ill, or not being parented, would ever do that stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:52 pm 
Penguin

Ok trick wise for a kid show these are some things I use

-vanishing bandana
-3d rabbits
-COMEDY LINKING RINGS ROUTINE!!!!!
-change bags
-sponge balls
-hippity hop rabbits not penguins the older version they are bigger than penguins stage one I love them
-monkey bar
-coloring book comedy routine
-somtimes a mirror box
-multiplying billiard balls
-vanishing hank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:36 am 
Penguin

u should realy try levitating things kids love that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:08 am 
Penguin

A big ziploc bag containing
small baggies
a few sheets of kitchen towel
a black trash bag
scissors
needle and thread kit
tape
sharpie
little squirt bottle of water
purel dry soap
safety pins, paper clips, bulldog clips

This kit is in my table/case ALWAYS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:33 pm 
born to perform.

I would use:

Sponge Balls
Magic Coloring Book
Professors Nightmare
Nested Wands
Spellbinding Boxes
Black Box Mystery
Vanishing Handkerchief
and Salt Trick (from Darwin's EOTTM)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:49 pm 

Kexbandit wrote:
I would use:...
and Salt Trick (from Darwin's EOTTM)

Kex, this is not addressed to you personally but it seems pandemic to birdland here. That is we keep useing buzzwords that will confuse the heck out of any newbie. I see RRTCM and other abbreviations like that. It looks like either we are to dam lazy to spell out words or we have some secret code like the Klan that only others in the klan can understand.

Spell out what you mean especially in this topic which is meant for newbies.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:28 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of the davidcon fan club. (Always welcoming new members)
Don't forget baloons and napkin roses! :P lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next