View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BUSTED!!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:00 am 
Penguin

um hi...ok i would like to ask all of you'll what do you guys do if you're busted. let's say this magician goes out and perform and meets another screwed up magician and that idiot reveals your tricks. what would you do then?

or else, what happens if you screw up? i mean no matter how hard you practice you are still bound to make an accident sooner or later so how do you rectify the mistake?

thanx a lot for your views

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:59 am 
born to perform.

I do not know the context here. Were you asked to perform at this place and some "magician" started to yell out the secrets? Or did you just walk up to a group of friends to show some tricks and someone else in the group started acting like a jerk? In any case, the answer is control. You have to control the audience, which is easier said than done :).

If you have just started your act and the person in question starts heckling, than I would stop and maybe make some pithy statement like, "no, no, no, not now--you can do your tricks when I am done." Make the whole thing funny. Make the crowd laugh---with you, but try to avoid a big verbal battle with the jerk. Sometimes this works. But if humor does not seem to work and he is really bad, I would act very calm and cool and wait to see what the rest of the crowd does. Try some tricks he does not know. If the crowd really wants to see magic, they will stop the heckler and you will come off mature and professional. If they don't help, then I would just smile and leave. There is no point in continuing under these conditions. Handling a really bad performance can take years of experience. Really good magic helps.

And this other "person" is not a magician. Magicians never bust other magicians.

Mistakes? Just chalk it up to experience. You said it yourself--everyone makes them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:44 am 
born to perform.

Location: I shall not capitulate... no never. I may be destroyed, but if I am, I shall drag a world with me...
I would throw cards at him untill he shut up...

Seriously though, I would just walk away. Don't risk having your secrets revealed because of one moron. Make sure EVERYONE knows you're stopping your proformance because of that guy. People will be mad because they want to be entertained and by him revealing secrets he stoped their entertainment..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:04 am 
born to perform.

what do you do if you mess up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:17 am 
born to perform.

Quote:

...feel like an idiot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:52 am 
born to perform.

madferit52 wrote:
Quote:

...feel like an idiot.

yeah but besides that. how would you cover it up??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:57 am 
Penguin

elementskater255 wrote:

It depends on the nature of the mess-up. It helps to have some "outs" that you can use when a trick doesn't go your way. Sometimes this can be done so smoothly that the spectators never know you messed up in the first place. (That's another reason you shouldn't do the same trick twice for the same spectators.) Liberal use of glimpses and forces can provide excellent safety nets.

If you don't have an out, the best thing you can do is say "oops" and just move on to a different effect. Don't dwell on it! If you don't neither will your audience. And if you are engaging and your audience likes you, they will not want to see you embarrassed and will not harass you about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:02 am 
born to perform.

clevy wrote:
elementskater255 wrote:

It depends on the nature of the mess-up. It helps to have some "outs" that you can use when a trick doesn't go your way. Sometimes this can be done so smoothly that the spectators never know you messed up in the first place. (That's another reason you shouldn't do the same trick twice for the same spectators.) Liberal use of glimpses and forces can provide excellent safety nets.

If you don't have an out, the best thing you can do is say "oops" and just move on to a different effect. Don't dwell on it! If you don't neither will your audience. And if you are engaging and your audience likes you, they will not want to see you embarrassed and will not harass you about it.

thanks! im going to come up with outs for all my tricks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:12 pm 
Penguin

Always good to have.... "An invisible deck" in tow... an instant get out for any card trick that goes wrong!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:16 am 
Penguin

When you are first practicing a trick, once you have the basic moves down and are working on the patter, start to think of the possible outs.
One of my favorites is the following: if somehow you fail to find their card (or maybe you mess up a double undercut, drop the cards and lose your break, etc)., proceed as follows:
Choose any card and say: this is your card (hey, you have a one in 52 chance, after all). If it is their card, well, congratulations. If not, ask them what their card was.
Proceed from here using the standard magicians force method.
This pretty much blows people away, and often is better than the original trick.
Practice several outs, and think of how they can be applied to each trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:30 am 
born to perform.

good advice, very good.

Post subject: if
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:31 pm 
Penguin

if someone is trying to ruin your tricks just say , thank you for watch my tricks have a nice day and move to the next table