View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sick of Sankey...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:05 pm 
born to perform.

I know that what I am about to type will cause controversy, but that it not the reason I am typing it. I want to know if I am alone on this forum.

I'll be honest, I have never bought a Jay Sankey product, and frankley, I don't plan too.

Why? Well, I guess you could say that the guy gives off a bad vibe to me.

I don't want to pass judgement. I have never met the guy, but for some reason I get the feeling that if I did meet Jay Sankey in real life he would be a jerk. I know I could be wrong, but that is just the way I feel after I watch his demo videos on the site.

I am also sick of Penguin coming out with a new Jay Sankey product every week. I feel like they are trying to milk him for all it's worth, and that a majority of magicians on this board are falling for the scam. It seems like every post somehow ends up talking about Jay Sankey or one of his DVDs/tricks/books.

I'd like to know if I am the only person on the board to feel this way. And if I am, then somebody please recomend a really good Jay Sankey trick or DVD and tell me why you like the guy.

Jay Sankey, if you read this, then I am sorry if I am wrong about you. I don't mean to offend you if I am mistaken. I am just expressing my opinion.

Post subject: Re: Sick of Sankey...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:07 pm 
born to perform.

Crisis wrote:
I know that what I am about to type will cause controversy, but that it not the reason I am typing it. I want to know if I am alone on this forum.

I'll be honest, I have never bought a Jay Sankey product, and frankley, I don't plan too.

I don't want to pass judgement. I have never met the guy, but for some reason I get the feeling that if I did meet Jay Sankey in real life he would be a jerk. I know I could be wrong, but that is just the way I feel after I watch his demo videos on the site.

I am also sick of Penguin coming out with a new Jay Sankey product every week. I feel like they are trying to milk him for all it's worth, and that a majority of magicians on this board are falling for the scam. It seems like every post somehow ends up talking about Jay Sankey or one of his DVDs/tricks/books.

I'd like to know if I am the only person on the board to feel this way. And if I am, then somebody please recomend a really good Jay Sankey trick or DVD and tell me why you like the guy.

Jay Sankey, if you read this, then I am sorry if I am wrong about you. I don't mean to offend you if I am mistaken. I am just expressing my opinion.

thats not judgemental? but i see your point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:08 pm 
Penguin

ok well thats your oppinion so we respect you for that but dont turn this in to a bashing burning thread it will get locked and your that much closer to being banned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:12 pm 
born to perform.

Legend_566: Yes, it is judgmental. I never said it wasn't, I said I didn't want to be.

Magickid04: This is not meant to be a bashing thread, and if it does turn into one then know that that was not my intent and that I will fully agree with this topic being locked if it does come to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:13 pm 
born to perform.

Crisis wrote:
Legend_566: Yes, it is judgmental. I never said it wasn't, I said I didn't want to be.

Magickid04: This is not meant to be a bashing thread, and if it does turn into one then know that that was not my intent and that I will fully agree with this topic being locked if it does come to that.

fair enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:15 pm 
Penguin

alright youve made your point i dont think it will count against you if it does get locked but if someone starts comin up in here cussin you out just dont responed to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:16 pm 
Penguin

I wasn't mad at Sankey at all....
Penguin was his best friend, selling all of his tricks.

Now he backstabs us and goes to MJM and E?

What is with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:22 pm 
born to perform.

spaulsen wrote:
I wasn't mad at Sankey at all....
Penguin was his best friend, selling all of his tricks.

Now he backstabs us and goes to MJM and E?

What is with that?

um, its business!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:13 pm 
born to perform.

no i think that they are turning into IDs to get more money

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:10 pm 
born to perform.

well he releases alot of stuff and the recent ones are useful mostly to beginners. i am sort of sick of him too but i dont' hate him. flaming sankey is like flaming penguin

Post subject: Re: Sick of Sankey...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:09 pm 
born to perform.

Crisis wrote:

Here is what I have to say. I love sankey effects. I find it easy to learn from him because he isn't so serious and more layed back (sometimes hiper, but I like watching peopel like John Cassidy so you know I enjoy that stuff. I think his stuff is high quality and is really good to use. I personally use a lot of his stuff.

Second , I don't know where you got the vibe, but it is your opinion.

Finally, what you said is judgemental and totally wrong. I personally met Jay and think he is an awsome guy. A little crazy at times sure, but still really cool. So think before you speak, k?

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:13 pm 
Penguin

First of all, if you would like to check out some Sankey effects without having to deal with seeing/hearing/reading Sankey, I would highly recommend Sankey Unleashed. It contains a lot of great, practical effects (including one of my all time favorite effects, "Back In Time", as well as some of his marketed effects and effects that are in other DVD's and books) and is written by John Racherbaumer. If you like what you find, then I'd recommend perhaps a DVD by Sankey, because he is a really great instructor, and while his humor may not be for everybody, it makes the learning process much easier because it holds your interest (if you don't hate it, that is).

As far as Sankey himself, I have met him at one of his lectures and I can tell you that he is a very nice guy. Not at all the jerk you think he would be.

So, that's my recommendation to you, pick up Unleashed, and if you like the effects, then go for a DVD to see if you like the guy took, and if you don't, at least you have plenty of new effects from Unleashed that you won't mind reading through, because you won't be hearing from Sankey.

Edit: I do agree with you though about how Penguin and many of it's members seem to focus too much on Sankey and his products. But, if you just buy a couple of his books or videos, you'll probably find quite a few effects that you can use all the time. Don't buy too many though, or else you'll get a lot of the effects in 2 or 3 different products. I'd recommend Sankey Unleashed, 20 Years of Sankey, and his "The Very Best of" DVD set if you decide that maybe he's not as bad as you thought. All three of these products are full of great effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:44 pm 
Penguin

Quote:

What a horrible line of thinking, but by all means stick to it; I'd rather not have someone with this kind of rationale performing some of my favorite effects. I don't like to buy from MM because the majority of their effects are horrible. Rob Stiff being a d*****-bag just eases the process along.

Quote:
I know I could be wrong

Don't worry, you are. Take it from me, he's a great guy.

Quote:
I am also sick of Penguin coming out with a new Jay Sankey product every week. I feel like they are trying to milk him for all it's worth, and that a majority of magicians on this board are falling for the scam

Actually, it's Jay Sankey coming out with a new product...frequently. Penguin's just putting it on their virtual shelves for us reasonable customers to enjoy. I "fell for the scam", and my extremely exclusive *working* repertoire currently contains exactly 17 Sankey effects, with more being added all the time. I'm not complaining.

Quote:

Unfortunately, you're not alone in your misguided beliefs. I'd love to persuade you all to join the "bandwagon" and discover the error in your ways, so that you may all be ushered into a new, rewarding era in your magical career. Sadly, this will not happen, but I can recommend a few products that might do that for me. As someone else mentioned in this thread, Sankey Unleashed is a great book, full of his classics and some new creative effects. Holy Moly is a great, practical trick that is definately worth consideration. Leaving Home is a miracle, and should be given attention immediately. Same goes for Earplugs, Greatest Hits, 3-Ring Circus, Front Row Sankey, Revolutionary Card/Coin Magic, and Killer Key. There are many others (especially his older stuff not available here [gasp]) as well. As for why I like the guy, he's really funny at his best, and at his worst, bearable. His magic is not sleight-intensive, it is commercial, practical, hard-hitting material that has served me well for years. If you can get off your high horse (like i'm about to :wink: ), you'll really be able to achieve great things with the aid of Sankey. Nothing personal, just a "few" words from a Sankey enthusiast. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:54 pm 
born to perform.

My friend met Sankey a while back, and said he was a jerk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:59 pm 
Penguin

I don't know what your friend did to get on Sankey's bad side then, because I and anyone else I have talked to think that he is a very cool, gracious, down to earth guy. Maybe your friend let his perceptions of Sankey cloud his vision, who knows.