View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:20 pm 
born to perform.

the reason why jay sankey is like that is because he was a stand up comedian, hes got a sence of humor, and well, i guess his comedy has an aquiered taste, but i thing jay sankey is a genious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:26 pm 

Jay gave me permission to put some of his moves on my video. He loves this art. Penguin may have been milking him for all he's worth, but that's their fault, not his. Jay puts out a lot of easy to do, mind blowing things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:14 am 

Let's not turn this into a fight because of other peoples' personal opinions. Jay Sankey is a human being and cannot have every person on the planet as his fans, so with all people not only Jay Sankey, others like him others don't, that is the fact and it sounds quite reasonable to me...
Crisis I do agree with you and get the message, Jay Sankey indeed does release new products very often which is why I believe not everything he releases is a big success. Some magicians take awhile to release a new creation/new book/DVD of theirs and usually those magicians have success for most of their products. I.e. Lee Asher, he has made good inventions and good tapes/DVDs and he didn't release those in a month. Good work needs time, I think Sankey is in a rash, he is in a hurry to release his next biggest effect or DVD(or book).

There was a thread a few months old http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... 059#535059 I posted my opinion in there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:36 am 
born to perform.

Sankey does some good work and is worth checking out, but some people around here think he's god or something and is sometimes overrated. I dont recommend most Sankey products but The Very Best of Sankey is well worth it

Post subject: Re: Sick of Sankey...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:33 am 
born to perform.

Crisis wrote:
I know that what I am about to type will cause controversy, but that it not the reason I am typing it. I want to know if I am alone on this forum.

I'll be honest, I have never bought a Jay Sankey product, and frankley, I don't plan too.

Why? Well, I guess you could say that the guy gives off a bad vibe to me.

I don't want to pass judgement. I have never met the guy, but for some reason I get the feeling that if I did meet Jay Sankey in real life he would be a jerk. I know I could be wrong, but that is just the way I feel after I watch his demo videos on the site.

I am also sick of Penguin coming out with a new Jay Sankey product every week. I feel like they are trying to milk him for all it's worth, and that a majority of magicians on this board are falling for the scam. It seems like every post somehow ends up talking about Jay Sankey or one of his DVDs/tricks/books.

I'd like to know if I am the only person on the board to feel this way. And if I am, then somebody please recomend a really good Jay Sankey trick or DVD and tell me why you like the guy.

Jay Sankey, if you read this, then I am sorry if I am wrong about you. I don't mean to offend you if I am mistaken. I am just expressing my opinion.

i am in the same possition as you, i also really really hate it when people recomend me sankey products

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:39 am 
born to perform.

I've met Sankey in real life and he's a really nice guy. I think those who've actually met him will agree with me here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:42 am 

Splinter wrote:
I've met Sankey in real life and he's a really nice guy. I think those who've actually met him will agree with me here.

I have heard from a lot of people that he is a great guy, some can tell from the responses they receive when they email him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:05 am 
born to perform.

sankey is awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:33 am 
born to perform.

spaulsen wrote:
I wasn't mad at Sankey at all....
Penguin was his best friend, selling all of his tricks.

Now he backstabs us and goes to MJM and E?

What is with that?

woah. wrong way around.

Sankey had a very restricting contract with penguin, and it FINALLY ended! he is NOT "with" MJM or E... he is just now allowed to sell to them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:49 am 
born to perform.

Personally I think it's easy to say that Sankey is an entertainer first and a magician second. He's not an outstanding magician but he is a very good entertainer and performer.

Post subject: Re: Sick of Sankey...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:58 am 

Crisis wrote:
I am also sick of Penguin coming out with a new Jay Sankey product every week. I feel like they are trying to milk him for all it's worth, and that a majority of magicians on this board are falling for the scam. It seems like every post somehow ends up talking about Jay Sankey or one of his DVDs/tricks/books.

I'd like to know if I am the only person on the board to feel this way. And if I am, then somebody please recomend a really good Jay Sankey trick or DVD and tell me why you like the guy.

I've met Sankey twice, at one workshop and one conference. He's a great guy. Very nice, very generous.

You could almost say that he's the quintessential Canadian :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:13 pm 
Penguin

He's a cool guy, met him at a lecture of his.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:23 pm 
Emperor Penguin

downshifter wrote:
I'd recommend Sankey Unleashed, 20 Years of Sankey, and his "The Very Best of" DVD set if you decide that maybe he's not as bad as you thought. All three of these products are full of great effects.

EXACTLY what I was about to type, you hit the nail on the head. Sankey does release a little too much material at times, but some of his material is very good. I am very selective in buying Sankey material, so all that I do get is usually quality for the most part. Also 'Beyond Secrets,' 'RCM,' and 'Front Row Sankey' is quality material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:45 pm 

sirbrad wrote:
downshifter wrote:
I'd recommend Sankey Unleashed, 20 Years of Sankey, and his "The Very Best of" DVD set if you decide that maybe he's not as bad as you thought. All three of these products are full of great effects.

EXACTLY what I was about to type, you hit the nail on the head. Sankey does release a little too much material at times, but some of his material is very good. I am very selective in buying Sankey material, so all that I do get is usually quality for the most part. Also 'Beyond Secrets,' 'RCM,' and 'Front Row Sankey' is quality material.

I agree with you.

Sankey is a very creative guy. Creating magic is what he does. Like any artist, he needs an outlet for his creativity. I believe when Sankey was younger, he released more of his material through columns in magic magazines.

Now I guess he's turned to DVDs. Can't really blame him. Why give it away for free in a magazine when he can charge for it?

His vast output is only a problem if you're a fanboy and try to buy every single thing he releases. No one else needs to do that. I doubt that Sankey would expect everyone to buy everything he markets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:19 pm 
born to perform.

Well, you're almost alone on this one.....

Criss Angel, Jay Sankey and some of Oz....thats me.