View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: People who try to look under/around what you're doing
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:28 pm 
born to perform.

I'm sure everyone here has performed a trick where, say, you have a card which you've secretly switched and you hold face down, and a spectator crouches down to see the card from beneath. Or you're performing an angle sensative trick and a spectator looks round to the side to try and catch your moves. How do you control these kinds of people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:20 pm 
Team Penguin

Very simple...don't do angle sensative tricks in front of a close and eager crowd.

As for the card that people would crowch to see...simply put the card face down on a table instead...or better yet in the hand of a trustable spectator with their other hand on top so that nobody can get to it (which would add to the effect anyways if the card is going to change)

Should somebody try to look at an angle sensative trick...simply look at them confusingly and ask..."Can I help you"

They usually back off after something is said to them.

Post subject: aasdf
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:56 pm 
Penguin

There are a bunch of things you can say. It's key not to be too protective, though.

For instance:

"Woah, a little bit of room here please, I'm getting claustrophobic."

Or before the trick, to prevent things like this:

"Sir, could you put your hand on top of that card so that I can't get to it."

"Now, nobody, not even I, can look a the card yet, because that's cheating." (Two Card Monte routine)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:35 am 
Emperor Penguin

KyletheGreat wrote:
Very simple...don't do angle sensative tricks in front of a close and eager crowd.

Simply not the way out. I use methods of controlling my audience, with misdirection if need be.

There are times when you get someone who is burning your hands, checking all angles. The easiest way to foil their attempts is to stick an audience member between them and you, but make it seem natural.

8)

Post subject: Re: People who try to look under/around what you're doing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:55 am 
born to perform.

Lawboy wrote:
and a spectator crouches down to see the card from beneath.
yeah I hate that I did a trick to a ambitious card trick to a friend and my friggen lil bro did that..pissed me off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:27 pm 

When I'm performing, if someone starts to lean down, I say "Come back up here with the group, it's more fun that way," and they usually listen and it gets a laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:33 pm 
born to perform.

I like 'em!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:56 pm 
born to perform.

omg lol my big bro is the biggest heckler I have met :? ...Just today he visited us because, he is our fav brother out of 6 :) ....I did and ambitious card trick to him...lol he's like omg put a peice of tape on the card and see if you can do it then...I just did the hit man and he shut up :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:57 am 
born to perform.

Blindside462 wrote:
omg lol my big bro is the biggest heckler I have met :? ...Just today he visited us because, he is our fav brother out of 6 :) ....I did and ambitious card trick to him...lol he's like omg put a peice of tape on the card and see if you can do it then...I just did the hit man and he shut up :lol:

thats the problem with the abitious card, its too simple to figure out, I believe it was Elmsley who had a routine with a blue deck and a red card card was signed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:37 am 
Penguin

[quote="magicdude84] thats the problem with the abitious card, its too simple to figure out,[/quote]

I don't think the ambitious card routine is easy too figure out, you just have to do it good, and you should be in no trouble.

beside that I always perform with comedy, because that makes people relax and enjoy the show, instead of trying to catch every single move you make, as they do when you're trying to be mysterious and wierd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:17 am 
born to perform.

Blindside462 wrote:
u havent perform close-up in my country yet.here's a.k.a world of hecklers :twisted:

Post subject: Re: People who try to look under/around what you're doing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:18 am 
born to perform.

Lawboy wrote:
I'm sure everyone here has performed a trick where, say, you have a card which you've secretly switched and you hold face down, and a spectator crouches down to see the card from beneath. Or you're performing an angle sensative trick and a spectator looks round to the side to try and catch your moves. How do you control these kinds of people?
yeah ,this was also happened to me when i do the 2 card monte

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:00 am 

That's audience managment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:57 pm 
Penguin

This should be extremely rare. If it happens more than that, you are telegraphing the moves.

But, for those rare occasions where a spectator is just a pain, I wear western boots. Grinding the heel on top of their foot makes a point! lol

Post subject: Eager specs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:41 am 
Penguin

Yesterday I did a trick where the spec had a card in hand facing down to the ground and the brother decided he was going to bend down and look under the card to see what it was. I ended up grabbing him by the hair and pulled him back up before he could see what the card was. This was probably the wrong thing to do but I had to act quickly and this was the best I could do. :twisted: