View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Truth About Uri Geller: (My opinion)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:26 pm 
Penguin

Location: Alcatraz... Where everybody can see me, and visit me. Stop By...
"If Uri Geller bends spoons with divine powers, then he's doing it the hard way." —James Randi

Uri Geller is most famous for his claim to be able to bend spoons and keys with his mind. An international star in the psychic circuit, Geller is a Hungarian/Austrian who was born in Israel and lives in England. He claims he's had visions for many years and may get his powers from extraterrestrials. He calls himself a psychic and has sued several people for millions of dollars for saying otherwise. His psychic powers were not sufficient to reveal to him, however, that he would lose all the lawsuits against his critics. His arch critic has been James "The Amazing" Randi, who has written a book and numerous articles aimed at demonstrating that Geller is a fraud, that he has no psychic powers, and that what Geller does amounts to no more than the parlor tricks of a conjurer.

Geller has been performing for many years. The first time I saw him was in 1973 when he appeared on the Johnny Carson Tonight Show. He was supposed to demonstrate his ability to bend spoons with his thoughts and identify hidden objects, but he failed to even try. He squirmed around and said something about how his power can't be turned on and off, and that he didn't feel strong right then. Randi had worked with Carson's producer to change the spoons and metal items Geller planned to use, as there was a suspicion that Geller likes to work (i.e., soften) his metals before his demonstrations, as would any careful conjurer.

Here's an example of what I am talking about:

Click here to view Geller's Tonight Show lack of performance:

I have never met Uri Geller in person, and personally do not believe on his "amazing mind powers". Though, I do believe that there's still a way to bend silverware with the power of the mind.

Best Regards,
AJ De Avila - (AJMagicman)
--------------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:44 pm 
born to perform.

Been talked about before. There is a longer version of this film that explains much more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:16 pm 
Penguin

Location: Alcatraz... Where everybody can see me, and visit me. Stop By...
But at least give me some credit for writing all of this man! :? :shock:
JK. 8) By the way, do you know where I could find the longer film? Anywhere online? :|

Thanks Again. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:28 pm 
born to perform.

Location: ~looney~ veggies are good when they dance mommy! i like dancing!!!! sjfgdfyfydxyhdfydgpenguinnnnnnnn
Let me tell you, like most "psycics" he's a fake. He failed to bother to show it because he didn't have the right tools at the time. the way to find out is to go with pscokinetic silverware or Liquid Metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:59 pm 
Penguin

Poor guy, I would hate to be in that kind of position.

That was an excellent video clip. I, too, would love to see more.

Well, the subject of Uri Gellar's exposure has been discussed MANY a time, and has by now, been exposed. Skepdic, the skeptic's dictionary has an article on Gellar. It also includes your Randi quote, AJ. :wink:

It's too bad, Gellar could have taken off as a brilliant mentalist, but chose to go down the path of fraud. I expect that even if he changed his ways now and wanted to entertain, he would be rejected by members of the mentalist community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:34 am 

If you check the Restaurant section and search for James Randi you'll find a topic by Paddy that I became very active in. To be honest, Randi just seems like a glorified heckler to me most of the time. He was a magician, but stopped performing to expose people. In some cases, like Gellar claiming to be real, it's understandable, but others just don't seem right. He seems to condescend the art a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:56 am 
Penguin

The two sides to the Geller coin that are see are 1: he has pulled off every magicians dream and made a LOT of people belive in our "magic" powers and he inspired wonder among the masses. Brillaint I say!

But 2: the sick (edited) has had the nerve to exploit sick and dying children saying that his "mind power" can make them better and even heal them, he has writen books and sold audio tapes around the world to those who are in need of help and not a rip off. He has been paid millions (i do not jest) by arabs to help them find oil in the desert. He has been paid by sports stars to "heal" their injurys and there for probably tricked them into doing more than they could there for, making whatever injury they had twice as bad.

He is a fake, fraud and worse of all when he is questioned about his "powers".... He insults magicians!!

He should be imprisoned or shot.

PS: my favorite Randi qoute goes something like "how come when Gran ma comes back from the dead to tell us that heaven is great and there is no suffering, she cant remember her husbands name or where she left all her money?". Well done good sir... well done