View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Who is Dai Vernon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:05 pm 
Penguin

it is said that Dai vernon is a great magician. and that he fooled harry houdini. whats up with that. i was just wondering how great of a magician was he? can anyone fill me in with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:07 pm 
Penguin

dai vernon basically invented most of the fundamentals we use to day, and he invented a lot of tricks, and sleights, he basically made the DL better than the first one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:08 pm 
Penguin

dai vernon basically invented most of the fundamentals we use to day, and he invented a lot of tricks, and sleights, he basically made the DL better than the first one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:08 pm 
Penguin

I cnt believe that u havnt heard of Dai Vernon. He was one of the best Card magicians that has ever walked the earth. Him and Marlo are responsible for many of the technques found in modern day card magic.

brostert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:22 pm 
Penguin

I may become an alcoholic reading these things.

Houdini had a challenge for anyone to show him a trick 3 times and he'd figure it out. Dai had a card rise to the top of the deck 3 times and Houdini didn't cath it.

Welcome to Magic McDonalds...can I take your order?

Put it this way...60 percent of anything Oz or anyone uses as sleights. Chances are Dai did it first.

the sorrow....the horror

Last edited by dstar on Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:35 pm 
Penguin

ic... that means he is a legend? so he fooled houdini with an ambitous card routine. can someone tell me what kind of ambitous card routine that is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:40 pm 

880330145789 wrote:
... can someone tell me what kind of ambitous card routine that is?

I'd call it the kind legends are made of...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:44 pm 
Penguin

You can find alot on Dai...and he made very good publications. Don't ever think the books from the 40's and whatnot are any less than the magic today.

Criss Angel's 100 dollar DVD on "his" levitation was first published in the 30's. I'm sure the idea is older than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:53 pm 
Penguin

Dai Vernon is not called the professor of magic for nothing you know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:54 pm 
Penguin

Get yourself a copy of the Dai Vernon book of magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:47 pm 
born to perform.

Dai Vernon has a very interesting life story. There is a book called "The Magician and the Cardsharp: The Search for America's Greatest Sleight-of-Hand Artist" by Karl Johnson. It tells Dai Vernon's story with a focus on his search for the greatest chard cheat; someone reputed to have the ability to deal from the center of the deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:10 pm 
Penguin

Dia Vernon was also amazing with coins and has one of the classic cups and balls routines. He was a magician's magician. He was in residence at the Magic Castle for years. He demonstrated his cups and balls routine on an episode of The Magician, a short-lived T.V. series with Bill Bixby as the star. Vernon was the example of perfection in the smothness of his routines. I don't know of any performer alive today who could surpass him in technical ability. If you could master one-tenth of his material you would be able to make a living in any close-up setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:20 pm 
born to perform.

odomenech wrote:
Dai Vernon has a very interesting life story. There is a book called "The Magician and the Cardsharp: The Search for America's Greatest Sleight-of-Hand Artist" by Karl Johnson. It tells Dai Vernon's story with a focus on his search for the greatest chard cheat; someone reputed to have the ability to deal from the center of the deck.

I am currently reading this book. I'm glad you brought it up because I a lot of the people on here seemed to be repeating what they have heard from others. Guys, I'm not trying to insult or offend you. Before I picked up this book I was just like most people out there, "He was the single greatest card magician of the era" or whatever. Now I feel I have some actual knowledge to base these claims off of.

dstar wrote:
Houdini had a challenge for anyone to show him a trick 3 times and he'd figure it out. Dai had a card rise to the top of the deck 3 times and Houdini didn't catch it.

Dai Vernon actually performed this effect an astounding 7 times in one sitting to prove his point. He mixed it up a little, even putting the card with the "HH" initialed on it second from the top. He show as clearly as daylight that it was Harry Houdini's card second from the top and with the wave of this hand it had risen to the top. Vernon performed to Houdini in front of a large audience of magicians so his claims would stand. He knowingly violated the magicians code and got away with it.

880330145789 wrote:
so he fooled houdini with an ambitous card routine. can someone tell me what kind of ambitous card routine that is?

I'm not sure if you were able to pull it from my previous text but, Vernon simply put Harry Houdini's card, initialed with the letters "HH" on the front into varying places of the deck 7 times, including the second card from the top. Every time, without fail the card was able to rise to the top of the deck. The effect is now the basic foundation of most Ambitious Card Routines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:41 am 
Penguin

thanks for the info. ill search about dai myself. but i really admire such a person who has caused so much impact on magic we use today. i have one of his books but it only has his tricks. including the colour change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:16 am 
Penguin

Michael Ammar and Chuck Fayne were one of many students of The Professor.