View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Have any keys?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:00 pm 
Penguin

I do a full shackle escape i have one aound my andkles, neck, and on my hands. They are all connected. I can get out in 10 seconds and no matter how many times i do it and how fast someone alwyas asks me where i hid my key or if i had one. Any pointers on how to make people belivee that i dont have keys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:15 pm 
born to perform.

They can run a hand held metal detector over you (think airport security) to check for keys. Allow the audience to make sure for themselves that you have no hidden keys. Metal detectors work well for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:06 am 
Penguin

Also, don't escape so fast. Part of escapology is to make your audience feel like you can't get out and that you are really trapt. Struggle , or make if look like you could die. Maybe something like this:

You have crossbow set up at one end of the stage and a target at the other. You know that the bow is set to go off in 60 seconds. So,set it up and make yourself look like youre struggling and jump out of the way at the last second. Or you could have it on a remote that a trusted stage crew member has and will release the bow as soon as he sees you jumping out of the way..Either way this is very dangerous and should be rehersed many times before performing.

Another would be a water torture stunt. If you add the and extra element in there like you possibly dying if you didnt escape your shackles people will be on the edge of there seat the whole time saying omg hes going to die..thinking that you might just die. The smartest thing Houdini ever did was to understand that time is very important in escapes. For instance when he did his Bank vault escape he was out of the safe within minutes of it closing and was sitting behind it reading a book. He let the corwd sit there for over an hour listening to people say " enough is enough open the vault" and people scared he was really dead. Another point to make is that if you escape to cuickly people will feel that youre doing magic, that youre doing some kind of trick like you that they are fake cuffs. Or that you have a key on you. So slow it down and add an extra element of danger to it. If you have any more questions or want to talk about this topic a little more PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:35 pm 
Emperor Penguin

i do something along that line, except i have 3 cross bows aimed from different angles and different heights aimed at me and i have 1minute to get out. it is dangerous i came real close to losing an arm once. :twisted:

be carful if you try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:18 pm 
Penguin

go to e jewler and ask them to make a mold of the keys, then pour copper or another metal detector safe metal in the mold. so they wont go off then you go through the detector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:32 pm 
born to perform.

That is, if you are using keys.