View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: People Grab my IT or try to pat me down.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:58 am 
Penguin

I was doing the dollar bill levitation and the person jumped at me and started trying to grab for my IT. They got it and made me look like an [edited]. I told the rest of the audience that I am sorry that person ruined the effect, and that I could no longer perform in that enviornment.

I don't know if its just me or everyone, but 9 times out of 10 people start trying to grab and pat me down. Does anyone have advice on how to avoid this? Can't people just enjoy the tricks instead of trying to ruin them???????

I am new to the illusion industry, and just want to have fun and make some people smile but its real discouraging when people pull crap all the time.

Even my own mother did this to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:06 am 

Don't perform for friends, family or school mates.

Practice with a few magician friends, and go out and perform for total strangers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:10 am 
Penguin

If this happening when you are performing with strangers, there is something wrong with your audience management.

If you are not assertive and confident, the audience will see through you, and go out of their way to make you look bad. Also, if the audience has time to grab for the IT there is possibly a lapse in your presentation when they have a moment to think about how the affect is done.

Try revamping your routine, and gaining confidence with what you are doing,

a.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:47 am 
Penguin

You're gonna get hit a lot on audience control here I guarantee. There is no reason that person should have been close enough to you in the first place to do that. You must master audience control before you can master an illusion/effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:25 pm 
Penguin

Try controlling th crowd and dont be too close. if you want to know how to use IT, then get Spun. It taught me alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:46 pm 
Penguin

you need to be very careful about this. I used to have people do this but its all about making yourself the dominant person. Right from the word go you need to call the shots. for example telling them where to sit is a good one, its not very unusual but its psychological. The audience are doing what you are telling them to do. Its setting boundries thats all.... and you'll find performing for freinds will only lead to your moves being found out, your gimmicks being exposed and your dignity down the drain. When performing for freinds there is no sense of a boundry, they are comfortable in your presence and will not hesitate to touch your stuff....

Hope ive helped!

Vanardi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:00 pm 
Penguin

I do agree wity eferything said but, when I first started using IT, someone said, "oh, i kow how you do that, see!" and grabbed IT by my collar. Feeling stupid, i sputtered out, "That? That's just a piece of my shirt!" They aughed and said, "Oh! Heh, sorry...: )" so, thats one way i handeled it when i first startted... hopee my little input helped some ...[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:05 pm 
born to perform.

The One thing you must make shure of is that the specs can not be close to you. That way they are less likely to see IT and they can not jump out and grab IT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:44 pm 
Penguin

I had a guy BEFORE I even perfromed the trick tell me hey you have a long hair hanging and pulled it out.I told him if he touched me again hed have to by me dinner for being so close.I just went to the washroom and setup again. I always keep specs back and try to wear darker colors when i know Im going out to perform :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:15 pm 
born to perform.

also if anyone but a police officer tries to pat you down, its illegal and can be construed as sexual harrassment, use this to your advantage.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:57 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the constructive input! I really appriciate the help and positive insight for doing IT illusions.

It's really nice to have a good group of people and no flamers!

Thanks everyone with your help I will try the above suggestions.

MErry X Mas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: People Grab my IT or try to pat me down.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:57 pm 
born to perform.

Deleted by Jared for lack of contribution to the topic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:16 am 
born to perform.

When most objects float, they look that they're on string, thats because they are on string, If I saw something floating that looked like it was attached to something, I'd probably go in for a closer look myself.

Post subject: Re: People Grab my IT or try to pat me down.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:18 pm 
born to perform.

JesseJamesMcGuire wrote:
I was doing the dollar bill levitation and the person jumped at me and started trying to grab for my IT. They got it and made me look like an [edited]. I told the rest of the audience that I am sorry that person ruined the effect, and that I could no longer perform in that enviornment.

I don't know if its just me or everyone, but 9 times out of 10 people start trying to grab and pat me down. Does anyone have advice on how to avoid this? Can't people just enjoy the tricks instead of trying to ruin them???????

I am new to the illusion industry, and just want to have fun and make some people smile but its real discouraging when people pull crap all the time.

Even my own mother did this to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its hard when you tell them the effects of the trick or they know the effects already.you can do telegraphing,for example:
torn a newspaper and take the piece and wave it like a bird.so this will give the audience that you will make the newspaper change into the bird instead you restore it,then you change it into a bird.

or you can do 'sucker tricks' or 'sucker moves' where you pretend to do the secret move like palming a card suspiciously,then people will grab the hand and seems to be emptyand fool them.

i know a trick just to make them pissed of where you take a hanky and cover your hand and say that you will make a bird appear.Show your middle finger slowly and when they grab the hanky.guess what they get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:31 pm 
Penguin

What is an IT ive been searching for it on penguin but no results came up could someone help a brotha out :lol: