View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 5 Tips for Perfect Practice
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:06 am 
Penguin

Here are 5 tips that I would reccomend that everyone use when practicing their magic.
# Use a mirror
# Be alone
# Practice every day
# Experiment
# Rinse and repeat

Firstly, use a mirror. You don’t have to stand in your bathroom for hours on end practicing, but I would really reccomend purchasing a mirror that you can sit or stand in front of that you can place on a desk or something. That way you can see what the spectator sees to know if you are flashing anything.

Secondly, you should be alone. Find a time when you don’t have to have anyone around you and you won’t be inturrupted. Even if that’s only 10 minutes a day (I would reccomend at least 30) be alone when you practice.

Thirdly, and I can’t emphasize this one enough, practice every day. Whether its for 2 hours, or 20 minutes, you need to practice your effects and routines as often as you can if you intend on being any good. Even if you are just a hobbyist, I would still reccomend practicing a trick or two a day that way you can perfect it and get some great reactions from friends and family.

Fourthly, this one is the most fun in my opinion, experiment. Try new things. Find a new way to use the French Drop. Try out using a ring instead of a coin. Why not come up with some new tricks and think of a couple methods of performing them?

Lastly, but hands down the most important, rinse and repeat. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, and repeat some more. Doing the same trick over and over and over again will help you immensely. Start out going slowly and if it’s longer, do it in segments. Make sure you are doing the moves correctly though, otherwise you will get some bad habits.

They say that practice makes perfect. That’s not all the way correct. You can practice, but what if you don’t know how to do it correctly? Well, hopefully this will get you off on the right foot and let you get the most out of your practice time.

--Written by Chris
Chris is the founder of http://www.YourFellowMagi.com. He's been doing magic for a number of years now and finally decided to share what he has learned by doing closeup magic and mentalism for so many people. Why not pay him a visit and check out the great website?

Post subject: Re: 5 Tips for Perfect Practice
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:05 pm 
born to perform.

scheda wrote:
Thirdly, and I can’t emphasize this one enough, practice every day. Whether its for 2 hours, or 20 minutes, you need to practice your effects and routines as often as you can if you intend on being any good. Even if you are just a hobbyist, I would still reccomend practicing a trick or two a day that way you can perfect it and get some great reactions from friends and family.

Lastly, but hands down the most important, rinse and repeat. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, and repeat some more. Doing the same trick over and over and over again will help you immensely.

To be blunt this is bad advice. This is what is called "mass practice" or "over learning". It has been proven that doing something for a period of time, and then stopping to do something neutral for another period of time is far more effective than what we call, "mass practice", which is what you are advising us to do.

Mental blocks form when you do something repeatedly and to dismantle these blocks it is necessary to take a break. Card College Volume 2 teaches you this in the Theory chapter which is certainly worth a read.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:11 am 
Penguin

I can't say I've ever heard that. I will give it a shot though. Thanks for the tip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:18 am 
born to perform.

No problem. You can practice any sleight or routine you like for a week or so, and then take a break from it and do something else, which is unrelated to the sleight or routine you were previously practicing. I did this with the Top Palm and in helped tremendously.

Another tip would be to only practice when you are enjoying it. If you aren't enjoying yourself while practicing then you are unlikely to make much progress.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:25 pm 
Penguin

Thats good advice...but something which is also very important, and can be really annoying...is when you think you have got a trick down really well, but then you preform it to a friend and they can see some palming or a move you have done...therefor i would also say that part of practise must be in front of people...towards the end though, when you 'think' you have the trick down well, then you will find that others, especially if they are into magic aswell, can give their opinions on how you are doing and ways to improve.

Alex ( i am also alex...;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:09 pm 
born to perform.

Location: An amatuer practices until he gets it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong...
In your "store" you took the pen vanish right out of the hot rod pen video. And you charge more for the vanish then penguin does for the pen and the vanish. If theres immoral selling going on in magic, its going on here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:34 pm 
Penguin

Why be alone thats a bad thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:35 pm 
born to perform.

Sunnydolan wrote:
In your "store" you took the pen vanish right out of the hot rod pen video. And you charge more for the vanish then penguin does for the pen and the vanish. If theres immoral selling going on in magic, its going on here

Who's store is that... I doubt its making a sales.

One piece of advice: Always be somewhat relatable when you perform magic. In my experiences, I have practiced and practiced but have blown it because I was too stiff in performing. Also, write down your patter if you have one. Make some jokes. Always know when to distinguish in parts of your trick the joking time and the serious time. Also give time for poeple to react.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:06 pm 
Penguin

You gots to be having fun and enjoying the time do not get down on your self just keep trying and stay light practice with mirrors practice in your car at a stop light practice anywhere and keep with it once you master a trick dont put it in your box but break it out at least once a week to keep it fresh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:22 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a white room, With black curtains, At the Station
EvanZ wrote:

I agree you need to get used to having people around you while performing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:55 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of the davidcon fan club. (Always welcoming new members)
Cigam_Eno wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I agree you need to get used to having people around you while performing.

Which is why you do it while performing, not practicing. Imagine a magician came up to you and wanted to show you something "really cool". They then whip out a deck of cards and start practicing the DL. You would walk away, or tell him to go away. Nobody wants to see you practice. It gets boring.