View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:38 pm 
Penguin

:!:

Last edited by me4928 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:20 pm 
born to perform.

The majority of American Patrol Officers use Peerless 700s or SW 100s.

Both can be shimmed.

Peerless are easier to shim, simply for the fact that the ratchets are looser, there is more space. You basically need a smaller shim for SW 100s.

Peerless 700s (new ones) also have a flaw in the double lock mechanism which makes things grand if all you have is a shim.

When you start getting into the higher security cuffs, then you start getting problems.

Dixie's explanation was almost too disgraceful to be called an explanation of "Escape any handcuff"

Post subject: History repeats it's self!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:41 pm 
Penguin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:41 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Yorkshire, England. My socks are multi-coloured - I AM THE PARTY !!!! ~Loony Chairman~
Hiatt have started making handcuffs with unique keys, bastards, I hope no police forces take them on :wink:
:lol:
-Team Buzz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:09 pm 
Penguin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:47 am 
born to perform.

Location: Yorkshire, England. My socks are multi-coloured - I AM THE PARTY !!!! ~Loony Chairman~
me4928 wrote:
Team_Buzz wrote:
Hiatt have started making handcuffs with unique keys, bastards, I hope no police forces take them on :wink:
:lol:
-Team Buzz

Team Buzz, which ones do you mean? The HSS9 Max-Security cuff? Like the one in this picture?

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/450/ ... 35594l.jpg

Cheers, Mike

Yeah, they may not be brand new out, but I sure hope the British police don't start using them for everyday purposes.
-Team Buzz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:14 am 
Penguin

okay so i've already posted on the topic of exposure and copyrighted materials.

WHAT WORKS ARE PROTECTED?

Copyright protects "original works of authorship" that are fixed in a tangible form of expression. The fixation need not be directly perceptible so long as it may be communicated with the aid of a machine or device. Copyrightable works include the following categories:

1. literary works;
2. musical works, including any accompanying words
3. dramatic works, including any accompanying music
4. pantomimes and choreographic works
5. pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works
6. motion pictures and other audiovisual works
7. sound recordings
8. architectural works

WHAT IS NOT PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT?

Several categories of material are generally not eligible for federal copyright protection. These include among others:

1-Works that have not been fixed in a tangible form of expression (for example, choreographic works that have not been notated or recorded, or improvisational speeches or performances that have not been written or recorded)

2-Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients or contents

3- Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices, as distinguished from a description, explanation, or illustration

4-Works consisting entirely of information that is common property and containing no original authorship (for example: standard calendars, height and weight charts, tape measures and rulers, and lists or tables taken from public documents or other common sources)

Although im against exposure there is nothing illegal about "exposing" magic tricks. What is illegal is if you were to buy an instant download and than turn around and sell the same video claming that it was your work.The video is protected. The method behind the effect is not protected nor is the effect itself. If the effect used or was a gimmick , that gimmick would be protected. If you were to to put the work into some tangible for like recording the performance of the effect on video. In that situation that performance is protected.

Or in our case we are dealing with the method behind releasing yourself from regulation handcuffs ex: smith and wesson 100's. The fact is there is nothing wrong with discussing this. More over i know that there is very very little educational material on the art of escapology. Dixie Dooleys box set is good. Although it lacks in very detial " how to" information. It doesn't go into details as to pick or shim cuffs. I feel we are all aspiring magicians and escape artists. If we dont give each other a hand and help our younger memembers who will take our place when we are no longer around too? The point is we have to keep the art alive. It's not like the person asking is some random person on the street. He wants to learn and is expressing the fact that he needs help.

Further more.. no magic trick "method" can be copyrighted or patented. The idea of exposure falls in to the "trade secret" realm. It's not illegal to expose any effect, it is simply considered wrong and unprofessional. Also, there is a huge difference in exposing magic to the public but is a completley different when you are teaching a fellow magician.

All Copyright information was cited from www.copyright.gov

Post subject: copy rights??
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:21 pm 
Penguin

We are not really talking about what is copy right material. What this really all falls in line with and so far as exposure is also considered "Code Of Ethics". We don't know who is a magicial on here and who is not. Anyone who byes something from Penguin Magic has a chance to view these forams. This still deos not mean that they are professionals. Now a good example: Say you and your friends had a club that sat around discussing how and when you cheated on your wives. Now what you discuss may not be copy righted but does that mean when everybody leaves they go home and talk to their wives about how and when and how many times their friends have cheated on their wives? I would hope not. Right or wrong, it is just a matter of EHTICS. Now, if you are serious about learning something. try joining a magicians association so that you will have a certification that you can show before you start asking people how to do something. It's just a matter of ethics. In some ways I wish this was an open forum too so I know how you feel, there are many secrets that I would like to know as well so don't feel bad. Remember this also. On this sight people have to pay to learn these tricks. So if one person was to but one trick and told everybody the Penguin Magic wouldn't make any money now would they. This is what they are in business for...LOL Have a great day :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:42 am 
Penguin

Quote:
Now, if you are serious about learning something. try joining a magicians association so that you will have a certification that you can show before you start asking people how to do something. prvteye4u

Ive been into the art for over ten years. I am not a memeber of SAM or IBM. Why is being a member of those groups or needing to be a professional constitute the persons devotion or desire to learn the art. We all sucked at one point and all needed somewhere to learn from. In my opion , which the first ammendment allows me to express freely, I feel that this site is very bias to younger magicians and is scared of exposing magic secrets to the public. When a magician asks for help no matter the simplicity you tell them to buy something from this site. And, if you are that worried exposing sectrets to the public then the site should not sell magic products, because any laymen or wood be person whos just looking for the secret can buy the trick to learn the method. Look, a lot of the members here are younger 10-16 and a lot really enjoy the art and just want to learn. So, instead of complaining about exposing something, which by the way is what has made magic the way it is today, help a fellow magician out. I can see if they are asking how a currently marketed effect was done, but to ask how to release your self from a pair a cuffs is very different.. By the way to release your self from cuffs you must fist study the inner workings of all the cuffs you can.. new to old. Then you should pick yourself up a set of shims.. which will only work on single locking cuffs. not the double locking " police" kind. You should also buy or make some picks..which are used to disengage the locking mechanism. You can make them out a large and very stiff safety pin or bobby pin. Now see that wasnt so hard.. and guess what i didnt expose anything... Have a good one..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:20 am 
Penguin

Ok, I am begining to understand that you really don't understand the meaning of ethics. So, let me put it to you this way. If I were to tell you how to escape from many different types of handcuff and someone else was to see it hear on this forum, how would you feel if sometimes later that person used that information to escape from the police and carjack your mother or brother and even cild and kill them. Now, if you were to find out that he learned this from a mgaic forum like this one. Wouldn't you be very ticked off at me and even want to file a law sewt again me and this forum for the release of that information.
You see, it is not a matter to me if you think that it is your Constitutional right to know it or not. I could care less. The only thing that I am saying is that I went to school and payed lots of money out of my pocket to learn how to open locks, safe, and even bypass alarm systems. So why should I tell you or anyone else how to get out of them.
Now, I hope that you are not taking this the wrong way, but like I said it is not a matter to me of exsposure, just plain ole EHTICS ! !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:27 am 
born to perform.

But this same person can go anywhere on the internet and get the information, or under the guise of an escape artist learn the trade. This is a place to help each other out to preserve the craft. A passing of information if you will. How would you feel if the person you denied help whent out with the wrong info and did a dangerous escape and died, what he was asking of you would have saved his life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:25 pm 
Penguin

Well, if the guy went out and did an escape and died, I would have said " If he didn't know what he was doing and he put his own life in danger then he shouldn't have been doing it to start with!!! But even then that wouldn't have been my fault so I wouldn't feel bad about it. Plus, if people can go out on the net and find out how to do this then why don't you. Then, if you want to you can tell everybody!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:07 pm 
born to perform.

I don't need to go out and do this... I have been doing escapes for 36 years. And I had a couple of friends that were in the same feild, but when it came to the dangerous stuff they would seek advice from me and because of what I had to share with them they changed tere mind due to the fact that they wernt seeing the whole picture they were missing something that took someone looking at it from outside the box. I am glad to say that my friends are still alive today. That is what I am saying, help someone if they need it. You can PM them so that the secrets do not get out. There post is just too get someone to help them. If someone that has never used power tools asked you for help would you just say no, learn on your own and watch as they cut a finger off ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:50 pm 
Penguin

Ok Zambini, then why don't you tell Morph how to get out of handcuffs then........??????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:21 am 
born to perform.

Mabey I already have !