View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: when someone figures out the secret how should i tell them..
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:14 pm 
Penguin

when someone figures out the secret how should I insist they are wrong? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:52 pm 
Penguin

They shouldn't figure out the secret to begin with. You either didn't present the trick properly, or you didn't manage your audience properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:33 pm 
born to perform.

of course on the occasion that it does happen ( which it will to everyone) your advice would not help them in the slightest.
dont insist they are wrong. in fact, if you can, just ignore what they are saying. if you strongy insist they are wrong, lots of times they only become more sure they are right, and you look like your trying to prove something to them. just relax, smile, and ignore it. but do not argue with them for any reason.

P.S. nice name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:54 pm 
born to perform.

I had this teenager boy who was whispering to his girlfriend during the first few tricks that I performed at their table in a restaurant. He was "supposedly" telling her how and when I was doing a move. Several tricks went by like this. I don't know exactly what he was saying, but I knew what he througt he was saying and I finally said, "He's telling you how all of this is done, right?". She confirmed with a nod. I said in a friendly, humorous way, "well you just go on believing that..ok". The parents got a laugh out of it and so did his girlfriend. Then I did my own variation of Jumpin' Gemini which blew him away at the end. He wasn't talking after that.

In other cases when spectators try to guess how somethings done, I've never tried to confirm one way or another. But I have said, "I don't know but Wow! That's a neat concept. I may have to try that."

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:09 pm 
born to perform.

before i was seriously into magic at a local magic shop i would alaways watch the guy performing and tell him how i thought he did it. all he would ever do is very calmly repeat "theories are good theories are good" it really catches them off gaurd they kinda start wondering about other "theories."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:47 am 
Penguin

my usual line for this situation is " yea u could do it that way i guess, i like ur thinking keep up the good work."
or u coulld be in control and just give them a sharp look telling them 'no thats not how its done" thats just my usual way handling. btw if they do figure it out dont beat urslf up just try ur best. they will appreciate the effort.

i know some ppl who are very kind. ppl who know for instance what DL is but they never expose u, instead incourage u during ur performances. having ppl like this around is good. cause they can back u up. so when im dealing with ppl who are 'smart" i usually bring along someone like that or someone who does magic too just to back me up.

2 opinions always rule over one sometimes no matter how logical it may sound.

Last edited by 880330145789 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: what is a dl?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:58 am 
Penguin

whats a dl?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:23 am 
Penguin

cant say... it would be exposure. figure out urself... the best i can give u is 2L

Post subject: Re: what is a dl?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:15 am 
born to perform.

caseynyc wrote:
whats a dl?

It's a special card sleight. That's about as much info as we can give you without exposing anything.

-B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:07 pm 
born to perform.

magicbmx wrote:
caseynyc wrote:
whats a dl?

It's a special card sleight. That's about as much info as we can give you without exposing anything.

-B

yeah i wanted to say the same thing :) thats a basic sleight in card magic... im sure u do it all the time

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:14 pm 
Penguin

Asais wrote:
magicbmx wrote:
caseynyc wrote:
whats a dl?

-B

yeah I wanted to say the same thing :) thats a basic sleight in card magic... im sure u do it all the time[/quote

is there a dvd or book that explains what it is?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:28 am 
Penguin

caseynyc wrote:
Asais wrote:
magicbmx wrote:
caseynyc wrote:
whats a dl?

-B

yeah I wanted to say the same thing :) thats a basic sleight in card magic... im sure u do it all the time[/quote

is there a dvd or book that explains what it is?

YEA its in many books and dvd's ... check out BTP (born to perform) if u already have it. 1 DL is being taught in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:06 pm 
Penguin

dl stands for drug lab

speaking of dl's and figuring out stuff one guy once burned me on a dl out of nowere, i did nothing wrong, NOTHING, it was perfect the patter was v good the timing the everything, he just up and said you grabed 2 cards, i just shook his hand and said well done

he didnt even say it in a mean manner, just sort of pointed it out, no one else was there tho so that was good

i think you gota be preety clever to figure that out, before i knew anything i couldnt figure out anything, iw as clueles, that probably what got me so intersted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:17 am 
Penguin

Pay_Back wrote:
dl stands for drug lab

speaking of dl's and figuring out stuff one guy once burned me on a dl out of nowere, I did nothing wrong, NOTHING, it was perfect the patter was v good the timing the everything, he just up and said you grabed 2 cards, I just shook his hand and said well done

he didnt even say it in a mean manner, just sort of pointed it out, no one else was there tho so that was good

I think you gota be preety clever to figure that out, before I knew anything I couldnt figure out anything, iw as clueles, that probably what got me so intersted...

s-h-i-t happns. some ppl just know the move. more ppl know about the DL then u think. its just that if u do it undetectably they wont think about the DL. sometimes u just hope that no one ever guesses a DL. cause no matter how good sometimes ppl just know the move. but still there are other ways to make something like a DL. check Dai vernons books on sleights. it helps especially when u want to redo a trick with a different handling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:24 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of Cool People Clique-now accepting applications
if they figure it out, just dont say anything...just look at them blankly