View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Do you guys feel like....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:56 pm 
Penguin

When you know ur crowd head to toe...

do u seperate the ppl u WILL show magic to and the ppl u WONT?

i have this lil group in my head of ppl that i dont show magic to, but they always want to see magic..

ANOTHER Q:
when someone has seen a trick that CANT be repeated twice and u try to show it to someone else but the person u just showed it to is there, how do u tell them to leave? (if it makes sense to you guys, plz answer)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:08 pm 
born to perform.

In answer to the second question, if you show a trick to one person, or a group of people, and then move on to another person/group, you don't have to do the same trick. You may want to have three or four tricks lined up, so even if people stick around to watch your tricks, they won't see anything twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:19 pm 
born to perform.

People are different. I don't think you'll every really know your crowd from head to toe. I don't separate people I will and will not show magic to. I view the difficult spectator as a challenge. I once scored a gig because of the way I handled this one difficule spectator who happened to be the step mother of the person who later hired me for their company Xmas party. He later told me that he hired me because of how I was able to handle this difficult (in every meaning of the word) person.

Now you can certainly pick and choose your tricks based on your spectator. Difficult audience, you may decide to go with the fail-proof effects that are always clean.

Ok. If that person shows up at the beginning of the trick and it's not a trick that you don't mind if it is seen twice by the same person, then just switch to another trick. But if it is a trick that can be modified part way through, such as sponge ball routines, then do just that when they think they know the out come. You never tell someone to leave. If it comes to that, then just stop doing magic until they are gone. Walk to a different group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:24 pm 
born to perform.

creecy wrote:
...I was able to handle this difficult (in every meaning of the word) person.

How was she difficult and how did you get round the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:43 pm 
born to perform.

She was one of those people who deliberately tries to mess you up on every trick. These people will do whatever it takes to get to you. You have to reset your boundaries, because if you don’t, they will be grabbing your hands and everything else. Keep your distance from these people. And like I said before, come out with the clean, fail-proof tricks. Stay away from most tricks that involve the spectator (at least that particular spectator).
Everyone around this person knew how she was. These people will not follow your directions no matter how specific of directions you give them. After my fail-proof tricks to shut them up, I then just focused on the other spectators in the group and let the difficult one just watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:44 pm 
born to perform.

The bottom line was that I didn't let them get to me. I stayed in control which is most important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:48 am 
Penguin

good tips ^^^
thanks

anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:02 pm 
Penguin

If a spectators seems difficult, firstly mention that perhaps they need to follow the instructions or it won't work.

Secondly, treat them to a game (no magic), like guess the color of card (such as at the start the two card monte routine). This way everyone's a winner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:41 pm 
born to perform.

spadesy wrote:
If a spectators seems difficult, firstly mention that perhaps they need to follow the instructions or it won't work.

Secondly, treat them to a game (no magic), like guess the color of card (such as at the start the two card monte routine). This way everyone's a winner.

In my experience with these difficult people, part of the problem is that they will not (refuse to) follow directions. If the person is truly the difficult kind, you are not likely to pull off the two card monte without them turning the cards over too soon or doing something else to deliberately try to mess you up. That's why a say to stay away from the in-the-hands routines with them. Even S&S may not good for these people. It's just their nature. Don't shut them out, but choose your tricks wisely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:40 pm 
born to perform.

I definitely perform for those who look like they want to be entertained and not heckler type people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:59 pm 
Penguin

same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:26 pm 
born to perform.

I know it's the hard way out, but;

have a large repetoire

don't do too many tricks in one go

don't do all of your best tricks in one go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:03 pm 
born to perform.

tKd_ wrote:
I definitely perform for those who look like they want to be entertained and not heckler type people.

I agree. But when you're being paid to perform, such as in a restaurant, you shouldn't just choose not to peform for someone be cause they look like a heckler or like they don't want to be entertained. You are being paid to entertain customers of the restaurant. If you're not being paid, then so be it. Peform for who you want. But I still like viewing the heckler as a challenge. Through this I continue to improve on how to stay in control in various situations. If you choose not do deal with a heckler before they heckle you, then you will never learn how to deal with them when it is totally unavoidable. That kind of feeling won't be good.

Keep in mind, there are some people who just don't want to be bothered with entertainment (bothered?). And many times you can see that before you ever approach them. I have sensed this many times from people prior to performing magic at their tableside. But I don't let that change my attitude about performing for them. Usually when I'm done with them, they are applauding, laughing, and asking for more. THAT is truly a reward. However, be sure to recognize those rare times. The ones where a boyfriend and girlfriend are out to eat only so she can break up with him. You may approach them, but it doesn't usually take long to see that you will not be peforming for these people. This has actually happened at, of all places, a Friendly's restaurant. Seems like the wrong place to be breaking up.

Anyway, good luck to all.

Post subject: Re: Do you guys feel like....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:36 pm 
born to perform.

tsowilson wrote:

ANOTHER Q:
when someone has seen a trick that CANT be repeated twice and u try to show it to someone else but the person u just showed it to is there, how do u tell them to leave? (if it makes sense to you guys, plz answer)

you dont tell them to leave you leave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:18 pm 
Penguin

For some reason Tel's bell or the ol' thong between silks always puts a male heckler-difficult person in their place and they'll shut up. Later this year I may be saying "why did you pay $30 to come in here and make an [edited] out of yourself?" I also have a best friend named krav maga::wink::wink:: just in case they try to save face.