View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Parents.. Bah
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:28 pm 
Penguin

Parents in magic are tough, considering they want the best for thier kids magic learning process. My parents always set me up for little preformances at BBQ's and other random events. (I'm 15 by the way). But then again, parents do come in handy, you can use one of them as a stooge, and let them in on a secret and help you practice by acting like a 3rd party audience.

Parents, can't live with them, can't live without them.

Post subject: Re: Parents.. Bah
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:26 pm 
born to perform.

Location: An amatuer practices until he gets it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong...
benbnc wrote:
Parents in magic are tough, considering they want the best for thier kids magic learning process. My parents always set me up for little preformances at BBQ's and other random events. (I'm 15 by the way). But then again, parents do come in handy, you can use one of them as a stooge, and let them in on a secret and help you practice by acting like a 3rd party audience.

I also dont like when they just say, in the middle of a party, "show a trick!!" It gets annoying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:13 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah, everytime I go to my grandma's house and she has company over (which is pretty often), she always tells them that I'm a magician. It get's kinda annoying sometimes.

I've never used one of my parents as a stooge before, but it sounds kinda clever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:29 am 

LOL luckily I'm old enough not to have parents bugging my head with those lines (hey, show them a trick) and all that crap, but I know the feeling. I'm sure that if you would ask them not to mention to anybody that you do magic they would respect your wish. Make it clear to them that you have to be ready by having your routine planned and that it has to be the right moment. Make it clear that when you can show magic, YOU will make the intro, not them for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:45 am 
Penguin

My line when someone says 'do a trick!' really impolitly, i say i`m not a preforming monkey, or if i want to do a trick but they ask rudly, i say i preform for people with manners. Not in a smug or angry voise, just normally. After awile, they will be allot more polite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:53 am 
born to perform.

whenever my dad tells me to do magic in front of people i just do my ACR and then if they like it, i hand them a business card so they can hire me if interested. oh and trix2, nice avatar. donkey kong country was classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:25 pm 
Penguin

Location: Now You See It................... Unless Your Blind
i dont really care exept when they say your a magician they look harder and its more pressure on you 8) :evil:

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:52 am 
Penguin

benbnc wrote:

im usully put on the spot in public by my obnoxious uncle, yelling out loud, "ANyone wanna see a trick?!". :x but with family/company/friends, i cant wait for the "m word" to come up...(magic)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:28 pm 
Penguin

Well you guys are lucky, My parents really hate magic. Whenever I'm at a gathering of something like that I alway wonder off and show magic behind their backs. Sometimes, they even threaten to through my magic props/gimmicks away. But I still love magic and it won't matter what anyone ways. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:21 pm 
Penguin

yeah, the whole parents thing is annoying. I have a dad that likes to be my narrator...which is even 10x more annoying.

"abra kadabra!"

"your card was blue?"

ya that's my dad talking. i love him and he helped me get started on magic by coming up with the money, but I don't need a commentator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:07 am 
Penguin

Quote:

amen to that! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:28 am 
born to perform.

Location: Location Location... Always the most important thing
I sat down with my parents and talked to them about this whole concept. I asked them very politely to please stop just yelling out "Show them a trick!"... They understood, and now only tell people that i am a magician when people ask about my hobbies etc...

My dad does still do this which really is annoying..
Me: And right their in your hands this hole time, is that signed 9 of...
Dad: Awsome Job! Son, show them the trick where you levitate the bill... Can you do that right now?? *Now i dont have any IT so what the heck am i going to do??*
Me: Well, thats a pretty good trick, but if you dont mind, i have something much better...
Then my dad gets the point, and my mom sort of calms him down....

Its all good, they love me, i love them... they support me and my art.

-magicman135

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:28 pm 
born to perform.

yup, my mom always asks me to saw through my neck.
PISSES ME OFF!!
jk
but she does and I just calmly explain I have a cooler trick etc. Or if I don't have any tricks I happen to say
"I don't do requests" it makes some people laugh, and some angry lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:42 am 
Penguin

lol. Well, I let my dad in on the STS so one night we were at a party and he yelled really loud "JP! YOUR SHOE IS UNTIED!" Everybody stared at him and then down at my feet. I was then forced to do the effect when i was saving it for later.... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:32 pm 
Penguin

Actually, let's look at the logic here. When your parents say "show a trick", you can use that. It really helps yourself when you're trying to start a show and don't have the nerve for it. It helps for a beginning magician to start out.