View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I cant do it to you
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:56 am 
Penguin

A few days ago I was doing the Ultimate Transpo at school and It freaked people out. I couldent do it for more that a few people. After I finshed doing it to this girl people was like do it to me next do it to me next . so I need to no what to say when this happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:29 am 
born to perform.

I hate carrying around a bunch of gimmicks, but just say "OK" and pull out an S&S and go with that. You say ok to doing the trick to them, but you actually do a different trick. They don't know or care. All they know is that it happened to them.

However, you won't be able to do it to everyone, obviously. Switch to card tricks, if you can, and perform some 'out of the hands' card tricks. You know, the ones where they are not involved.

You should check out some of the threads regarding the "Do it again" people. That should give you some other ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:10 pm 
born to perform.

or you could just say no, and walk away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am 

No, Casey. See, he said it was for a girl. Some of us are still interested in them. Just do something else. Remember, you're in control when you're performing. You decide what's going to happen. Not them. Take control of the situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:27 am 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
No, Casey. See, he said it was for a girl. Some of us are still interested in them. Just do something else. Remember, you're in control when you're performing. You decide what's going to happen. Not them. Take control of the situation.

Well put, generally when someone wants a trick done for them, they want something performed, if it's an effect that cannot be repeated for various reasons, just perform another trick, they won't be disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:48 am 
Penguin

wat i always say is "maybe next time (in this case ladies) ladies, " and walk away

-russell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:49 am 
born to perform.

Try and carry three or so tricks on you, even if you intend on doing one, just for this very reason. If someone wants to see a trick then you can do another one.

It's never good to exclude someone because they arrived late. Sometimes there's nothing you can do, but if you have control of the situation, you can make the latecomer feel really special. Welcome her (or him) to the group and make them the participant for your next trick.

Let's say I was doing Invisible Deck, and that's all I had - nothing else. I'd just finished the trick, everyone was wowed and someone else came along, wanting me to repeat it. I'd apologise for not being able to repeat it, because, "It has to be set up way in advance like the night before," but I'd offer to try something else. I'd ask the newcomer to bear with me while I get something. I may even ask someone else to explain what trick they missed, while I'm setting up. What I do is get one card out of the invisible deck and hold it face towards me. I would then reiterate what the previous trick was about. I'd then explain how it was done by saying that it's all about suggestion and influence (I'm a Derren Brown fan so I would do something like that!). I'd mentally force the card I was holding and when I reveal it, everyone will be amazed - especially the one spectator, which will make up for the fact that she didn't see the first trick.

Now if a second person came up to me, I'd have to apologise again. I'd tell him that my "magic powers" (A.K.A. showmanship powers - but don't say that) had run out for the day, but you'd be able to show him some other time. Then, another day, find that person and show him the trick(s) he missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:34 pm 
born to perform.

Always have a real deck of playing cards in perfect working condition, and have a large arsenal of powerful card tricks. The four effects on BTP won't cut it. You need to be able to perform 4-5 good tricks on the spot. Then, just do one. Or two.

I know it's harsh that you can't learn one effect then immediately perform it, but if you want to establish yourself as a magician rather than somebody who knows a few tricks, you need a larger repetoire. A real magician would not run out of effects, they would run out of time or magic.

If anyone says 'do it to me!' explain that you cannot repeat an effect. I find people reasonably accepting if I explain that it is a principle of all magicians not to repeat an illusion. After their initial slight disappointment you explain that you could however show them something better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:50 pm 
born to perform.

i was sort of joking, sometimes ill say no, and sometimes ill just do an effect that is sort of alike to it but different, or, i may do something completely different, 9 times out of 10 they will forget that you arent doing exactly what they asked when you are already deep into something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:12 am 
Penguin

I'm in agreement with Exodus. Just do something different that's just as good if not better than the last effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:01 am 
Penguin

next time just gather all the people inerested then only proceed with the performance. that way everyone will see it without having a good reason to ask u to perform again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:37 am 
born to perform.

Simple - move onto something else. Usually I'll say "I'll get back to that later, but for now I'll show you this..." Even though you are saying you'll get back to it - trust me, if the next effect is strong they won't even remember you said that.