View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: water trunk escape
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:24 am 
Penguin

Boy, it's been a while since I have visited. Glad to be back!

This year for our NUMA (Northern Utah Magic Association) summer show, Escape From Reality, I will be escaping from what I am calling a water trunk, if all goes well with my design. Since funds are limited, I have designed a plexi glass trunk of only 1/8" plexi glass in a wooden support frame. I feel this will be plenty strong. The price of plexiglass these days is too high for my pocket book, so I needed something less expensive. I have considered a metal frame, but again due to expence, and my lack of metal working, I have chosen wood. Of course there will be the testing period to make sure it is strong enough. Now that the design is finished, I will begin making it. If any one has any suggestions about working with plexiglass, I would love to hear form you.

Please PM me if oyu would like more info on NUMA or more info on my design.

Thanks,
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:29 pm 
born to perform.

It all depends on the size that you are talking about, if too big the plex will not hold. Do some math and figure out how many gallons of water, then weight of the water and then the pressure of the water. You will be amazed, I had a friend that thought he understood the water tourture cell, did not account for glass expansion and the tank exploded sending one foot shards of glass up to one hundred feet. If my friend was in the tank it would have killed him, he then did the math and made the changes for a safe escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:35 pm 
Emperor Penguin

so what exactly are you building it out of; wood/plexi glass , metal/plexi glass , plastic/ plexi glass. the best combintation would be metal and plexi glass. and the place where you buy the glass from should be able to tell you what psi it can withstand. and they will also be able to help you water proof it and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:28 am 
Penguin

I plan on using a 1x4 support frame. the ends will be divided into 4ths and the sides into 6th's. The inside will be lined with plexiglass. Even though 1x4's are used, I feel the little "windows" will be large enough to see through and that the amount of wood will provide plenty of strength. Unless I can get some metal and welding donated, I will need to stick with the wood. One may worry about the amount water in the trunk puts lots of pressure on it but, figure the water displacement will help relieve some of that. I'll have to see how it goes as I build it.