View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Who do you think is the best magician?
David Blaine 17%  17%  [ 56 ]
Oz Pearlman 15%  15%  [ 49 ]
Jay Noblezada 6%  6%  [ 21 ]
Jay Sankey 10%  10%  [ 34 ]
Morgan Strebler 3%  3%  [ 11 ]
Morgan Strebler 3%  3%  [ 11 ]
David Copperfield 45%  45%  [ 150 ]
Total votes : 332
Author Message
 Post subject: the best?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:01 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 13 Nov 2005
Posts: 58
if i had to choose from the list i would say OZ. but there are magicians leagues above those in the list.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the best?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:33 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 675
Location: Virginia Beach
piplip wrote:
if I had to choose from the list I would say OZ. but there are magicians leagues above those in the list.


I think OZ is like number two on the list...that is...from the bottom. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:25 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 07 Dec 2005
Posts: 248
Location: behind you, ha made you look
sorry this is random but go jay noblezada!!!!!


lol
-russell


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:10 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Posts: 3
Anonymous wrote:
borntorock52 wrote:
the most creative by far is sankey but the best of all? hard to say



How can you say that sankey is more creative than copperfeild??? Copperfield has designed his illusions that have fooled EVERYONE!!! Sankey makes a trick or two that can barely fool laymen.


Sorry to burst your bubble but he is right, Sankey has created more original illusions. Copperfield's two most famous tricks were created by Jim Steinmeyer and John Gaughan respectively. Even so, Copperfield may not be the most creative, but he is definately the best magician of our times.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:39 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Posts: 3
Alright, since everyone is arguing over the details and facts, let me lay them down straight. And don't anyone argue with me because I actually studied this crap.
David Blaine
Style: Street/Stunt
Creativity: Almost zilch
All of his effects are previous effects by other people. In fact, the one trick he claims is his, was actually designed by Paul Harris, the guy who gets all of Blaine's tricks. David Blaine just named it
Skill: Even though I do not like his style, I have to admit he has skill. Even though he has to film many times, until he doesn't screw up. Also, his stunts aren't really that original. Most humans can actually do some of those stunts, and end up in better condition than Blaine did. Plus, he had to use camera editing, and cut out some scenes to make his tricks seem cooler. How low is that?
Final Analysis: Not actually much better than some of the guys on this freaking forum, just less shy and luckier.
Oz Pearlman
I seriously do not understand why this guy is even up here, but whatever
Style:Close-up/Stage
Creativity: He hasn't created any "Completely new tricks", but he has taken a few good tricks, and made them better
Skill: He memories hundreds of tricks, and previews them for you. I doubt he screws up a lot, but who knows
Final Analysis: He's just like one of us, but he works at Penguin Magic
Jay Noblezada
Style: Street
Creativity: He has a few cool creative tricks
Skill: He has some really good ideas, that are close to perfect, but never reach it. He is a very good showman however
Final Analysis:
Good, but would probably be better off, being an adviser to some big shot magician.
Jay Sankey
Style: Close-up/Comedy
Creativity: He takes old tricks and slights and shuffles them around, until he gets something that looks different. Not bad, just bland
Skill: Someone here said that he can even fool laypeople. That is completely wrong. I've seen him preform before, and they were completely fooled. I've even seen him mess up badly, and pull himself back together. I think he has extremely good showmanship, because he takes simple tricks, to have an extreme result
Final Analysis: Probably never will be the "greatest" magician, but maybe up to a Lance Burton kind of level. And those who disagree with me, check out Lance Burton's old style, and Sankey's style.
Morgan Strebler
I'm not even gonna do this guy. He will never be a "great" magician. He is a little creative, and had some good concepts in Liquid Metal and Spun, but I doubt he will get too far. Where is he now anyways?
David Copperfield
Style:Close-up(those of you who disagree watch Illusion)/Stage
Creativity: A lot of people have claimed David Copperfield is great at creating tricks. He has created a few tricks, but many were invented by people such as Paul Harris, Jay Sankey, Gary Oulette, etc. His two most famous tricks, Statue of Liberty and Levitation, were created by Jim Steinmeyer and John Gaughan respectively. However, some of his other tricks, he did create, and I give him a lot of credit for that.
Skill: Extremely good showmanship, and acting. He has a small problem though of the order of the tricks, so some really good tricks, seem kinda small and stupid.
Final Analysis: If there is a "greatest" magician in this bunch, this guy is probably it. Even so, there a bunch of other great magicians out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:04 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 03 Jul 2003
Posts: 94
Location: forgot, lost in the universe
all blaine does is just take ordinary illusions that almost anyone can do and somehow glorify them. He is no better then the average it is just that he does tricks well.
Oz just has to get tricks from penguin makes instructional videos, maybe makes some of his own tricks and has come to fame by just making the instructional videos, Lots of times he has poor handling and is too cheesy
Noblezada is working his way up but is no where near the height of being great. He takes simple tricks and practices them to make them seem great wich is in some ways impressive while in other ways it is called distraction from what he is really doing.
Sankey need I say anything about him, sure he has came up with some inventive gimmicks and and has a personality that only some can handle but come on. He is in no way in this competition. There is a difference from being funny and trick and just being down right commited.
Copperfield now here is a man that knows his stuff, everyone elses tricks can be figured out by a magician but copperfield has stunned us all. He rose to fame for only one reason because he is GREAT the way he makes connections to the audience and how he averts your attention is amazing. You sometimes have to watch even the simplest trick a couple times to see the diversion.
But where in the world is Penn and Teller it seems as though you have forgotten about them???? They exceed many on this list I believe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:25 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Posts: 10
First of all, MANY, magicians build their own effects. Not necessarily they're own gimmick or move, but their own take on a trick that takes something and they bring in other stuff to add and create their own routine. I recently "created" a comedic change bag routine that involves two people and stuff between the bags. I never read it anywhere, and even if it's like another trick, I created my own TAKE on it. You aren't that great at magic if you can't make your own takes on tricks.


Anyways, Blaine is horrible on TV. In real life, I'm sure he's fabulous. The only thing I like about his TV image was that he brought back all the small tricks that we'd forget about and use them as his tricks. However, he built a strange image. His idea of a mysterious guy was good, but the outcome wasn't. In rea life, I;m sure he has a much upbeat and more casual image i guess you could call it.

Copperfield is great. His stuff is great and his persona is pretty good.

In all, you can't compare these guys. They all have their own style.

You shouldn't be trying to compete and say hhaa I'm better than you. That's not what magic is all about.

So, I don't think this poll is a good one. I don't like saying what magician is better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:48 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 05 Jan 2007
Posts: 20
Jay and Oz is the best in my opinion. :D :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:49 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
Who??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:13 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 455
Location: Canada
I think Copperfield is the best because he has the most experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:44 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 75
Legend_566 wrote:
Houdini????????


houdini was a great escape artist but sort of a mediocre magician. Unless you count metamorphosis, which is sorta just a fast escape.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:51 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Posts: 45
blaze1029 wrote:
Oz Pearlman
I seriously do not understand why this guy is even up here, but whatever
Style:Close-up/Stage
Creativity: He hasn't created any "Completely new tricks", but he has taken a few good tricks, and made them better
Skill: He memories hundreds of tricks, and previews them for you. I doubt he screws up a lot, but who knows
Final Analysis: He's just like one of us, but he works at Penguin Magic


Why not u teach us a few tricks??... if u can teach better than him, i admit. Every Magician is like one of us but the thing that differs is their skill and experience.

Those listen in the list are better than all of us here. thats y they are even up there. though certain magician can't be compared with certain great people, Oz is definitely a skillful magician (only fact is that he isn't that famous) & truely entertains the crowd. Everyone to whom i showed his videos are totally impressed with him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:06 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 18 Aug 2002
Posts: 5856
Location: www.anythingmagic.net
gskkesavan wrote:
blaze1029 wrote:
Oz Pearlman
I seriously do not understand why this guy is even up here, but whatever
Style:Close-up/Stage
Creativity: He hasn't created any "Completely new tricks", but he has taken a few good tricks, and made them better
Skill: He memories hundreds of tricks, and previews them for you. I doubt he screws up a lot, but who knows
Final Analysis: He's just like one of us, but he works at Penguin Magic


Why not u teach us a few tricks??... if u can teach better than him, i admit. Every Magician is like one of us but the thing that differs is their skill and experience.


LOL, I find that funny. There are quite a few people on this forum who are better than OZ. The only reason OZ looks so good in his videos is because they shoot the video untill it looks the way it does when you view it. They shoot from many different angles to make sure that everything looks great. Search OZ Pearlman at MagicVideoDepot.com and see how he was before Penguin. He has skill, but the videos lack Penguin quality. In my opinion he is not a good teacher, he rushes through his teachings and skips alot of what is needed to perform the effect.

Hands down, David Copperfield is the best Magician on that list. He has entertaining people down to a science, and his confidence in what he does makes me jealous.

Those listen in the list are better than all of us here. thats y they are even up there. though certain magician can't be compared with certain great people, Oz is definitely a skillful magician (only fact is that he isn't that famous) & truely entertains the crowd. Everyone to whom i showed his videos are totally impressed with him.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:11 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 10 Oct 2005
Posts: 23
Location: Plano, Texas
flinch wrote:
Has Blaine ever invented any tricks??? NOT TO MY KNOWLEDGE!!! SANKEY AND OZ ALL THE WAY!


Don't know but he used one of Jay's! And several others. LOL Can you say STS!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:13 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 10 Oct 2005
Posts: 23
Location: Plano, Texas
rusrac wrote:
sorry this is random but go jay noblezada!!!!!


lol
-russell



WooHoo! Jay is number 1.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.