View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: water escape
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:15 pm 
born to perform.

Anyone know where i can buy plans or the box..you fill it with water over your head and you have like your arms and legs chained and locked and with 4 different keys you have to try to get yourself unlocked? sorry if your not sure what im talking about and i dont know the name of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:15 am 
Penguin

Practice holding your breath underwater, first. You do not want to drown, and also practice remaining calm. If you don't, you'll be dead - you ARE actually put in water, no gimmicks.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:46 am 
born to perform.

oh i know..i wont be performing it for awhile...and how long do u think u would be under there tryin to get unlocked???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:04 pm 
Penguin

Reza,

If the keys are inside with you, it shouldn;t take to long. when I have my rists chained, I escape a la the "Siberian Chain" escape method, so I do not the key. As for the ankles, you may onlyt need the keys for that one, also, with the chain, my longest chain escape took 2 minutes - it all depends on how tight your wrists are chained and padlocked.

What would help is MORE description on what your physical restraints are. Hands are chained up, you said, but how will your be chained? Siberian escape, or just by having it wrapped around your wrists and padlocked?

This all makes a difference, and in a water tank, it could mean life or death, also have signlas set up with people who can GET YOU OUT if something goes wrong.

Shorttest time with just ankle irons (Houdini style) and my wrists being chained is around 2 - 3 minutes, but closer to 3 minutes.

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:39 pm 
born to perform.

OK im thinkin bout for my wrists using regular handcuffs and for my legs im shooting for about 2 inches from the ground and im going to chain them together to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:43 pm 
Penguin

magic_reza wrote:
OK im thinkin bout for my wrists using regular handcuffs and for my legs im shooting for about 2 inches from the ground and im going to chain them together to

Okay. As for the handcuffs, now what brand, and what the Key VISUALING looks like, even when in water. Also remeber some handcuffs come with one key, so if you driop the key, you might be screwed. Also, what length of chain, and what size? The more chain, the harder it is to escape, but that is different then rope...

Peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:47 am 
born to perform.

NEVER use keys or picks for an underwater escape...too much can go wrong.
There are better ways...

Dr. Stephen Midnight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:21 am 
Penguin

I agree 100%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:11 pm 
Penguin

its to risky to use keys and locks like dr. stephen midnight said

-russell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:10 am 
Penguin

If he really wants to go for it, he could, it is up to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:36 pm 
born to perform.

Yes, it is his choice, but it could also be his needless funeral.

Nobody can force someone else's decision; we can only recommend.

I recommend following the advice I once received from Lester Lake:

"Die for your audience every night, but get up fresh the next morning."

In other words, make each stunt look horrendously difficult or dangerous, but make it as safe as possible; the less REAL danger, the better.

Lake performed some impressive, but relatively safe, 'death stunts' in his career, and lived into his '80s.

I've done water escapes, strangle ties, suffocation traps, Iron Maiden and other vicious-looking things...safely...and have recently celebrated my 49th birthday.

As Norman Bigelow once said (paraphrased): "Famous performers are those who are around for a long time to garner fame. Flash-in-the-pan performers who die young for their art, get a quick 'tragedy' mention in the press, and are then forgotten."

Be safe. Live long. Have plenty of time to enjoy what you do.

Dr. Stephen Midnight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:10 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Yes, it is his choice, but it could also be his needless funeral.

Nobody can force someone else's decision; we can only recommend.

I recommend following the advice I once received from Lester Lake:

"Die for your audience every night, but get up fresh the next morning."

In other words, make each stunt look horrendously difficult or dangerous, but make it as safe as possible; the less REAL danger, the better.

Lake performed some impressive, but relatively safe, 'death stunts' in his career, and lived into his '80s.

I've done water escapes, strangle ties, suffocation traps, Iron Maiden and other vicious-looking things...safely...and have recently celebrated my 49th birthday.

As Norman Bigelow once said (paraphrased): "Famous performers are those who are around for a long time to garner fame. Flash-in-the-pan performers who die young for their art, get a quick 'tragedy' mention in the press, and are then forgotten."

Be safe. Live long. Have plenty of time to enjoy what you do.

Dr. Stephen Midnight

nicely said, i am the same, i perform "dangerous" escapes, and make sure that there is little or no risk to me. only a few i perform do i risk my health in some fashion. and even then i have people on stand by, a medical team or a team of fire men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:59 pm 
born to perform.

my uncles a lifeguard so im learnin how to stay underwater and how often to let ur breath out, and how much right now anyways

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:54 pm 
born to perform.

That's good; solid training goes a long way.

Tip: have a FAST way of draining the water from the container (by you or an outside assistant) if things go totally 'foobar.'

Dr. Stephen Midnight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:32 am 
Penguin

A good fast way to drain the water is at least a 2" ball valve. Unlike a regular outdoor faucet knob which needs to be turned and turned and turned to open all the way, the handle on the ball valve is just a quick turn. Also, have an extra set of keys for the padlocks used on the outside of the trunk. Also be sure that those who are respnsible for the keys know how to use them in an emergency situation. I was at a program where the magician got in trouble doing the Houdini water torture cell. The didn't break the glass because kids were sitting on the floor infront of the tank. The assistants were panicking so much, they could not get the correct keys in the locks. I came up out of the audience and took the keys from them and calmly but quickly unlocked the locks and we got him out. Another lesson learned is to have the locks keyed the same so one key opens all of the locks.

Safety first.