View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:59 pm 
born to perform.

Sankey seems okay to me. Never met the guy, but know some people who have and they had no complaints about his attitude or anything like that. And as far as going somewhere else...it's probably just a matter of the BBD -- The Bigger, Better Deal. Everyone wants to succeed. Sometimes we make bad choices and sometimes they're the right choices for our future, but just unpopular in the eyes of others. I hope Penguin continues to carry Sankey's stuff. This is a good place. Sure, they've got a few things that aren't the greatest quality, but who doesn't? They have some stuff that's top-notch, too. Their customer service is some of the best I've seen on the web and their shipping is lightning fast, (which is great because I hate waiting). I buy magic from other places, but Penguin has a loyal customer in me and I don't care where Sankey went, or why. I wish him much success and hope that Penguin continues to carry his stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:47 pm 
Penguin

I've express my opinion about Sankey times ago... but again I want to say something, in a schematic way 8)

1. I think Sankey isn't entertaining. He tries, but instead he result mad, crazy. Sometimes he get the people embarrassed. (I saw The Best of Jay Sankey). Do you want to see someone really entertaining ? Try Bill Malone.

2. I think Sankey haven't a great skill. He do nice magic, but often he uses basic and simple moves (I speak about cards)

3. I really think Sankey is "milked" by Penguin Magic... I hate his release of a new DVD every two weeks. One thought: I really hate his (maybe) new DVD "Sankey's Greatest Hits". How could a magician release a DVD called "Greatest Hits" !?!?!. Does the magic world are like the music or film industry ????

4. Speaking about cards, most of his effects require preparation. You can't do those effect in a real act... I mean without changing decks or vanishing gimmicked cards.

But despite all, I think Sankey made a lot of great tricks, and I'm sure his is a nice guy.

Thanks
Byz :roll:

Last edited by nigoea on Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:50 pm 
Penguin

YO SANKEY OWNZ! But i still have my other favorites but Sankey is still one of the best magician/performer out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:18 pm 

Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but since yours is is not based on any of the products he sells, I don't think it's very cool to publicly bash his products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:24 pm 

I think at least some of the people who say Sankey isn't a good magician don't have a clue.

Unless you've seen him live, are you really qualified to judge? At the very least, you should probably keep an open mind until you do see him live and in person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:25 am 
Penguin

i like jay sankey but some of his effects arent that good i hate the way he sells none gimmicked things however some tricks are moderately good. his dvds are quite repetitive as you will probably see the same trick on different dvds, and some of his effects dont seem original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:55 am 
Penguin

He releases too many products for all of them to be good. I think he should better spare his good effects longer and then bundle them on 1 DVD. This would be a lot better. That's what made his Rev Coin Magic so good.

I agree on that Greatest Hits thing you brought up nigoea.

I like and dislike Sankey's humour at the same time. I like it the first time he does it. But since he doesn't make Hollywood films(which you only see once in your life), this is a magic DVD. You're supposed to see it over and over again. The second time I have to hear his jokes they get so annoying it mostly put off the DVD after 10 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:46 pm 
Penguin

I have met Jay Sankey personally and he is a funny well spoken and graceous individual. Although some of his humor is a bit crass and he can easily be presumed as a jerk, he is actually quite the contrary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:50 pm 
born to perform.

i still agree with Crisis .i deplore sankeys crude humur,and i think he's a sell out for comming out a dvd with loads profanity.some others say the bad language is essential for a exciting dvd...if sankey really wanted to make that dvd more exciting he should worked on the tricks.i assume he resorted to swearing up a storm in his dvd's just to make the product seem more enticing in my opinion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:23 pm 
Penguin

me and jay are very good friends he is one of the nicest guys i know and he gives back to the community like edited sit down and session with kids at conventionsdont make post like that they serve no purpose so keep it to ypurself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:56 pm 
Penguin

MATTTRICK wrote:
i still agree with Crisis .i deplore sankeys crude humur,and i think he's a sell out for comming out a dvd with loads profanity.some others say the bad language is essential for a exciting dvd...if sankey really wanted to make that dvd more exciting he should worked on the tricks.i assume he resorted to swearing up a storm in his dvd's just to make the product seem more enticing in my opinion...

How does using profanity make him a "sell-out"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the definition of a sell-out more or less someone who sacrifices their artistic integrity for the almight dollar? Now, some people may say that Sankey is guilty of this, and I might agree to a certain extent, but his choice of language has nothing to do with that. As for the people who think the teaching is more exciting because of the swearing, they are just immature 12 year olds who think that everything is cooler when you swear. And if you've seen a Sankey DVD you'd know that he does work on the tricks. Yes, he might repeat many of them, and use certain sleights over and over again, but there are definite gems throughout his work. He comes out with many amazing, practical, useable magic effects, and I would have no problem whatsoever coming up with an amazing routine based solely on his effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:23 am 
Penguin

Sankey releasing too many tricks?? He's a very creative guy. Sure some tricks are better than others, just like some Beatles songs are better than other Beatles songs. He's putting himself out there, sharing his love of magic with everyone. How can anyone find fault with that??

And as far as him stabbing Penguin in the back - I believe it was the other way around...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:40 pm 
born to perform.

I hate Sankey too. It's just waste of money. I bought Snowstorm and Earplugs and I hate them. Four crappy cards with snowglobes for 12 bucks. Earplugs is OK but I don't like it. I only bought it because I'm selling earplugs outside concerts. ;-)

I also had No Card Tricks! and that was really bad, too. I saw also Revolutionary Coin Magic and I hated that one too.. at least that part I saw because I couldn't learn anything from him because he changed his voice.

Sankey thinks he is funny and some of you guys like him but I don't like him. He's boring. : :|

Post subject: Re: Sick of Sankey...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:17 pm 
born to perform.

Crisis wrote:
I know that what I am about to type will cause controversy, but that it not the reason I am typing it. I want to know if I am alone on this forum.

I'll be honest, I have never bought a Jay Sankey product, and frankley, I don't plan too.

Why? Well, I guess you could say that the guy gives off a bad vibe to me.

I don't want to pass judgement. I have never met the guy, but for some reason I get the feeling that if I did meet Jay Sankey in real life he would be a jerk. I know I could be wrong, but that is just the way I feel after I watch his demo videos on the site.

I am also sick of Penguin coming out with a new Jay Sankey product every week. I feel like they are trying to milk him for all it's worth, and that a majority of magicians on this board are falling for the scam. It seems like every post somehow ends up talking about Jay Sankey or one of his DVDs/tricks/books.

I'd like to know if I am the only person on the board to feel this way. And if I am, then somebody please recomend a really good Jay Sankey trick or DVD and tell me why you like the guy.

Jay Sankey, if you read this, then I am sorry if I am wrong about you. I don't mean to offend you if I am mistaken. I am just expressing my opinion.
SPREAD THE WORD MY BROTHA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:36 am 
Penguin

sankey is like a ............... dunno maybe he is a nice guy...............