View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: my friend is annoying!
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:27 am 
Penguin

at school i have a friend who likes magic aswell as me. but theres 1 thing, i swear hes the WORST at magic! there are many problems why he annoys me.
1: he thinks he really good at magic and hes buying everything that i buy. from this he thinks that we're both the same quality at magic. hes wrong! he may have the same tricks as i do, but he cannot use them in a good way. he gets a good magic trick and performs it the worst way you can. the other day, he perfomed a magic trick to some1. they thought it was 'rubbish'. i then performed the exactly same trick, and they loved it!
2: another thing is that he a teachers pet. so ofcourse, he performs all his magic to teachers and adults. and every teacher does what their trained to do, pretend to like it. so thats why he thinks hes good!
3: his mum treats him as she would a 5 year old. example, hes never been out with his mates before. and hes 14!

so those are all the reasons he annoys me, and that everyone else at my school doesnt like him.
how can i make him change? i dont just want to blurt out: "your the worst at magic, anyone, anywhere can be much better than you" how can i say this, but sooth it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:43 pm 
born to perform.

I wouldn't discourage him but instead I'd offer some constructive criticism. Ask him to show you a trick, and when he's done, tell him what you think he could have done better, but, as I say, in a constructive way. Offer to exchange thoughts on presentation, patter, practising more, etc. and get to know the guy (if you don't already). There are two kids at my school who are as into magic as I am, if not more, but since I'm several years older than them, and the most experienced, I don't tell them that "they're the worst at magic" because for one I know how the tricks are done to begin with, and secondly I know they have quite a bit of learning to do. So I offer my thoughts and ideas to them.

If this guy argues that he's perfectly capable of doing magic without your help, it's difficult to know what to do. I suppose you could spend more time studying/practising the art rather than performing it, letting the other guy steal the glory (or fake glory), but you can know that once he stops, or there are people who haven't seen either of you two perform magic, you can perform for those people and you'll be better at it, since you've done more practising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:04 pm 
Penguin

your some friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:47 pm 
born to perform.

You should just ignore him, if he is as bad as you descibe, the audience will be able to tell, what he thinks doesn't matter, only the spectator matters when it comes to magic. You can try to help him out and tell him the things he is doing wrong, but if he doesn't listen, don't worry about it, he won't go far in magic. You have to be open to suggestion and criticism to be successful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:09 am 
Penguin

erm....you are a........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:40 am 
born to perform.

The first thing you need to do is stop sharing with him the effects that you are purchasing. I know you're not actually sharing what you buy, but don't telling him what you're buying or what you've bought, or even what you've learned. If you perform an effect, don't tell him what the name of it is. You certainly don't want to have to deal with someone who does every effect that you do. Encourage him to be unique. It sounds like he basically sees you perform a trick, you tell him what it is, he goes and buys it, and then performs (without practicing) the way he remembers you performing it. the best bet is probably not to perform anything new for him anymore. You can offer to help him improve the areas he needs to improve on. He may not accept your advice, in which case you may just have to cut him off from your performances and knowledge. It's a tough situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:44 am 
born to perform.

just give him one of ur beginner books (not one called beginner magic tho!) for him to read, swap books etc to try and get him reading useful stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:07 pm 
born to perform.

wait, this kid is your friend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:03 pm 
born to perform.

I have the same situation! Everything that you said is exsactly the same as my friend. Well, he's not my friend anymore because he got so annoying. Let me tell you a very great tip. Do NOT show him how to do any tricks because I told him how to do some really cool tricks (Because he was my friend at the time) and now he gets credit for tricks that I taught him! :(

Post subject: same with me
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:49 pm 
Penguin

same with me man it's hard i was doing saw for kids at my school and their all like flippin out but then this other guy starts doing it and he does it so bad and every one figures it out and exposes it!!!!@ :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:52 pm 
Penguin

ddddddddddddddddd

Last edited by KaleBaiton on Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:10 am 
Emperor Penguin

Get the Raven, see what he does then. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:43 am 
born to perform.

Invite him to play a round of Roshambo. Just make sure that YOU go first !

Post subject: crap
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:02 pm 
Penguin

crap he just got the raven and he is going to get spun!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:09 pm 
born to perform.

slap the guy till he acts right lol

-MagicTay