View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Close Up Gimmicks - School
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:11 pm 
Penguin

Location: renovating igloos and hunting polar bears in Canada
Im looking for some close up gimmicks, mainly to perform in shool and get huge reactions. Im thinking of stealth pen but need others.

Leave out the cards.
No Abbreviations, im relatively new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:35 pm 
Penguin

Well I guess these would be a good start:
:arrow: Bite Out Quarter
:arrow: D'lite
:arrow: Card Tricks, people love card ticks so learn some great tricks. Buy some books, and if you want, buy Born to Perform is a good starters DVD

And to get peoples attention get hummingbird card or floating bill (I doubt you can do LDS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:41 pm 
Penguin

the only gimmick i use at school is the wizard Pk ring, it realy hard to get cought with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:24 pm 
born to perform.

The raven is one of my favorite close-up gimmicks, practice with it a bit and it's great. There are quite a few things you can do with it also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:26 am 
born to perform.

Location: An amatuer practices until he gets it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong...
casos1027 wrote:
Well I guess these would be a good start:
:arrow: Bite Out Quarter
:arrow: D'lite
:arrow: Card Tricks, people love card ticks so learn some great tricks. Buy some books, and if you want, buy Born to Perform is a good starters DVD

And to get peoples attention get hummingbird card or floating bill (I doubt you can do LDS)

Please, please, please!! do not take his advice. BTP is the WORST DVD i have ever seen. He teaches everything wrong, and the tricks aren't that impressive. Bite out quarter?? Kids would tear you apart with that one. D'Lites suck for school, kids love to grab, again they'd tear you apart. It is OK, if you can keep your distance. LDS is one of the best attention getters i have for school, kids love seeing a card shoot 12-13 feet in the air. Please, before you give advice, know what your talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:54 am 
Penguin

if you want to do well at school don't use gimmicks. i know you said no card but use cards and get card college. o and another thing. my rival magician at school brought a rising card deck to school. bad choice. bad bad baaaaaaaaaad choice. they snatched that faster from him then a jack rabit on tuesday. so get sleights because the best thing about a trick is to then show the deck normal or borrow it. remember the best gimicks is your hands so use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:03 am 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
Get either Loops or Million Dollar Knot. I would get Million Dollar Knot just because it provides more Loops. But that would be the only gimmick I would use.Everything else should be non-gimmicked. One keeping up with them and two if they find out the gimmick well you are in a chance that you will get put down. That happened to a friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:05 pm 
Penguin

Personally, I would learn some coin sleights. No gimmick needed!

BUT, if you really want a gimmick, what about the good ole' thumbtip? You can do sooooo many things with it and it's so visual. I love mine.

Skarn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:08 pm 
Penguin

I agree with Skarn about the coin sleights. If you have a few good coin sleights in your arsenal you can do a lot of really good stuff. Coin magic is mainly all I do at school. Believe me, if you borrow a coin and put it through a table they'll love you. The best part about the sleights is you are clean the whole time. At school it's best if you don't have gimmicks.

P.S. J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic is a great coin book

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:46 pm 
Penguin

Everybody seems to be over exited about what gimmicks to use, keep it plain and simple. A few rubber bands, definatley a pack of cards (learn as many impromtu tricks as poss) and a TT thats it. Dont take a raven around with you wait until you have enough time to go out on the street a select your victims, instead of people who you already know and know that you cant do real magic. Just keep these pointers in mind and you'll get far( simple, can carry on your persons and easily resetable or impromptu).

Good Luck . Ros :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:22 pm 
born to perform.

I perform at school all the time, and I mainly do impromtu card tricks, i don't recommend you doing tricks that requires set-up... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:05 pm 
Penguin

I think the wizard pk ring would be great for school, i just got mine. The kids at school loved my tricks! My friend had a metal spoon in his soup, I made it stir his soup without me ever touching it. Also, a lot of people have watches at school, stopping time on their watches is SOOOOO easy and gets a great effect! Also, you can perform very easy coin vanishes that get a good reaction. Good Luck! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:54 am 
Penguin

when i performed at school, i would take a pack of cards, and a couple of duplicates in my back pocket (forces, singed cards, etc). occasionaly i would bring in something gimmicked that had to do with school (number two pencil by magicsmith, stealth pen) but that's it. the only disadvantages of using cards is that when a teacher walks by, they think you are gambling. that's why i always did tricks to teachers.

-alansmallen

LOVE-with new laptop-LOVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:15 pm 
Penguin

If there is one thing I like to perform at school it is the 2 dollar window. The way I have it set up is I can borrow someone elses money and turn it into a completely different denomination. It really hits people hard and it looks like special effects. It literally changes in your hands free of cover. It is a great gimmick one that is perfect for the day to day/ school setting and is virtually undectable. Buy this trick if you don't have it already. By the way it is an instant download so you will being doing it in a manner of minutes. Enjoy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:40 am 
Penguin

I Also Have Two Dollar Window Its Very Very Neat I Do It To People all the time and they are astonished. :P