View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:55 am 
Penguin

I had this happen once.......I was accused of devilry and black magic :twisted: .....I thought, "wow, am I that good, or are they that stupid?" I decided to find out and I paraphrased a line from Tree....I said, "Toads and flies and dragon's wings....These are a few of my favorite things......" everyone else laughed, but the freak...well, kept freaking.......nothing I was going to say was going to convince this person I wasn't a demon.......

I say, have a bit of fun with the true freaks......but don't let them get the best of you.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:58 pm 
Penguin

You know, all this info is good but what if you WANT your audience to think you are up to a little evilness? It's MAGIC man! I'm talking black scleras and ouija boards, tarot cards and electronic crashers behind me haha. I might add that I live in a place where there's almost as many churches as restraunts. I'm expecting many verbal floggings from preachers but that's OK, I don't use my real name anyway. Anyone coming through Amarillo please send me a pm. I am also a christian BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:21 pm 
Penguin

Well being somone who has been doing magi(c) for 20 years this may, and been an open and praticeing witch for 15 years. I've never gotten that responce. Would be funny if I did.

But main ethics in my special case call me to make sure I distinguish Magi(c) from Magic(k) especialy in the pagan community.

Blessings.
PrinceShoko

Post subject: Re: Witchcraft
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:37 pm 
Penguin

JGC2003 wrote:
I felt prompted to ask this while reading another post in this forum, countless times what I do has been identified as witchcraft or as some involvement with the occult or devil incarnate, and this is even though most of my effects are ones by Jay Sankey and Richard Sanders which are presented in a humourous way.
What are some lines to say to get people off this idea about the style of magic for entertainment being the same as that of those who belive it is real?
I've found it's easier to call your my tricks "illusions" than "magic". That way your kinda telling them subtley that it's not evil or anything like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:30 pm 
Penguin

i was doing spun at the mall, and these black dudes were freaked out, and they left except one, and he wanted to know, so we said no of course, so then he ran off saying, its voodoo or something, how do i handle that! he is running away, and he is gone in 4 seconds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:58 pm 
Penguin

marmst63 wrote:
I so then he ran off saying, its voodoo or something, how do I handle that! he is running away, and he is gone in 4 seconds!

You say, "Wow! And at no extra charge, I made my audience vanish!"

Some people naturally react like that......I love it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:55 pm 
Penguin

Whichcraft is a religon, derived from the name Wicca. One can not be of the devil if they are Wiccan, since in their religon, there is no devil or demons.
Occult = "Hidden from view; concealed" (one of the definitions from a dictonary site online)... so perhaps doing magic tricks can be considered to be an occult art?

OK, I understand that this does not help you with what you asked... soooo...what YOU must now ask yourself is how to present the things that you are performing so you do NOT give your audience that impression, especialy if their response is unfavorable to you.

It is not a question of what to reply but one of presentation. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:49 am 
born to perform.

Khuldrin wrote:
Whichcraft is a religon, derived from the name Wicca. One can not be of the devil if they are Wiccan, since in their religon, there is no devil or demons.
Occult = "Hidden from view; concealed" (one of the definitions from a dictonary site online)... so perhaps doing magic tricks can be considered to be an occult art?
:)

very true. I can back this up, because I am wicca myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:58 pm 
Penguin

Thank You!!!

I read four pages on this topic and was wondering if anyone really knew about Witchcraft/Wicca. It's not bad or evil. Thanks to the above posts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:54 pm 
Penguin

Organised religion has often tried to eliminate other religions - hence the persecution of Wicca and other religions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:30 pm 
Penguin

KyletheGreat wrote:
I just talk to the person who accuses me when we are off to ourselves or after the performance.

Give them the old "If I make something dissapear, it is because I have a tool that does it for me...I am in no way affiliated with the devil!" speech

I wrote an essay on this wronfully stated accusation for school once.

THis one guy that runs the local magic shop had a similar encouter but went about the solution differently...

A woman walks into his shop just to shout "Magic is of the Devil and yall ain't nothin but a bunch of heathans and devil minions!"

The guy that owned the place whips out a double bang wand and yells "GET OUT OF HERE WOMAN!" while he shoots of a fire ball!!! The lady ran out of the store like a maniac she was so scared!

It was so funny that I laughed till tears ran out of my eyes! :D

i know this is irrelevant, but could you tell me what gimmick he used to do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:56 pm 
born to perform.

A mentor of mine was once approached by an old woman who waved her finger at him and proclaimed, "You serve the Devil!"
He stretched to his full height and responded, indignantly, "Madame, how can I possibly serve myself?!?"

As David Hoy once said, "People believe what they want to believe."

I shrug at such people, and if a group ever tries to picket one of my shows, I'll just call in the media and net some controversial publicity. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:11 am 
Penguin

Witchcraft has nothing to do with the devil or the occult. It would be an insult to witches to say it does. Also, wicca is far more recent than the word witch. Not all wiccans like to be called witches, either. And they aren't evil or devilish, they even worship god(goddess), and many don't even believe in the devil. Well, there's my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:09 am 
born to perform.

IF WICCANS DON'T THINK THEY SHOULD BE CALLED WITCHES, AND WHEN PEOPLE TALK ABOUT WITCHES THEY MEAN SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM WICCANS, WHY THEY edited DO THEY ALWAYS GET OFFENDED WHEN SOMEONE USES THE WORD?!

It is pretty silly if you think about it. It's a bit like me being offended when people talk about Llamas, because I wouldn't want to be called a Llama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:35 am 
Penguin

I never said wiccans get upset when someone uses the word witch, I just said they are two different things, and that witches get offended when people try to say that they are associated with the devil or evil or whatever. I personally don't get offended because I'm an open minded person. And also, some wiccans, but not all, consider themselves witches, but not in the same since as media potrays them. I'm trying to word this the best way I can so my words are not taken the wrong way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next