View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spectator wants to shuffle...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:14 pm 
Penguin

I had some free time at school after award ceremony... and everyone seemed to be bored.

So I took out my deck and showed them a few card effects that require double undercutting and cutting the deck to put the selected card on top plus a few false shuffling and cutting. After a few effects and great reactions, one of the guys asked if he could shuffle the cards. What do I do when someone asks that?

I found from another site that one of the ways is to put the deck next to my ear, pretend to listen to the deck and say "The deck doesn't want to be shuffled"

Or palm the top card which is the spec's card and let them shuffle it and when they're done put it back on top.

What do you guys use?

Last edited by ch920425 on Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:27 pm 

Have them shuffle the deck before hand and feel the deck, just so they get the feeling that the deck is normal and that you're fair. Have different people shuffle it and make sure that you are the one who will offer them to give the deck a quick mix. Doubtful you should have any issues later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:35 pm 
born to perform.

If it is not a trick which involves the spectator shuffling (as in they can't), then don't make a big thing about it.

If they do insist, make a joke, or just go into a different trick, involving the spectators card. If you are really stuck for a way out, resort to Invisible Deck/Brainwaave Deck, and if you don't have one, then buy one now!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:45 pm 
Penguin

fspigeon wrote:
If it is not a trick which involves the spectator shuffling (as in they can't), then don't make a big thing about it.

If they do insist, make a joke, or just go into a different trick, involving the spectators card. If you are really stuck for a way out, resort to Invisible Deck/Brainwaave Deck, and if you don't have one, then buy one now!

:wink:

Ah.. a few weeks ago I was going to buy both the invisible deck and the svengali deck. But all of my magician friends said that invisible deck is SO temporary and told me to get svengali, they thought it was a must have for every card magician. I'm having fun with the svengali though... Is the invisible deck okay to get? How long did yours last..? I read a lot of great reviews and recommendations on the web... just not from friends...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:53 pm 
born to perform.

I suppose it is down to peoples opinions. One of my first magic items when i started out magic was a svengali, but i never use it now. But yes, it is necessary in a card magicians collection.

As for the Invisible Deck (ID for now). I have the Brainwave, because i am not sure the ID was out when I bought the Brainwave Deck (BD for now also), but I wish it was...

The BD is the exact same principle as the ID, but you can repeat the ID over and over, whereas the BD can only be done once, but has a greater ending (the card is a different coloured back).

My BD is still in as good condition as when I bought it 4 years ago :wink: , but i would reccomend you pick up an ID, for all situations... Plus it is in Bicycle :D

P.S.Do you have close friends that are magicians? Mine just think i am a freak :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:44 pm 

In my opinion, you should always try to do magic where the production of the card is never a surprise to you (ie: you've either peeked or forced the selection). That way, they can shuffle. Then all you have to do is run through the cards and Turnover Pass or simply cut to the selection. Also, Palming is a card magicians friend. I had someone ask to shuffle the deck last weekend and I palmed the card off as I sat the deck down. The card went into my pocket while the deck was shuffled and I could freely show my hands, then I palmed it back in when the deck was handed back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:55 pm 
Penguin

exodus wrote:
In my opinion, you should always try to do magic where the production of the card is never a surprise to you (ie: you've either peeked or forced the selection). That way, they can shuffle. Then all you have to do is run through the cards and Turnover Pass or simply cut to the selection. Also, Palming is a card magicians friend. I had someone ask to shuffle the deck last weekend and I palmed the card off as I sat the deck down. The card went into my pocket while the deck was shuffled and I could freely show my hands, then I palmed it back in when the deck was handed back.

Thats a really good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:57 pm 

I came up with it on the spot, because I was in the middle of some other routine and didn't want to improv it. It worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:27 pm 
Penguin

If the trick involves getting their card to the top of the deck, you can show them the cards once their card is at the top of the deck, and then give it a false-shuffle yourself so that they think that it's completely shuffled and not setup. Also, again, with a trick involving getting the card to the top, you get the card to the top, palm it and give them the deck. With other tricks, I really don't have any answers other than to agree with what has already been said and try and know the card that they chose before the trick is really even underway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:24 pm 
born to perform.

For lots of good tricks, e.g. ACR, simple switcheroo tricks shuffling is illogical

My presentation for "Triumph" is the one revolving around 'this one guy' who messed up my deck with a crazy shuffle. From that point I can say "I would offer to let you shuffle (while demonstrating with a false shuffle), but... Tell you what, why don't you cut off some of these cards, so as to bury your card somewhere in the middle" and I'm all set for a crimp/key card control in what seems a throughly shuffled deck.

If you don't want to palm the card away, you should be able to justify your way out of it. If all else fails, just ignore them.

It's not a good idea to immediately respond in a slightly panicked way and palm the card(s) off the top, as some spectators would suspect that you remove the cards.

In short: either allow the audience to handle the deck lots, in which case they likely won't really remember when they shuffled and when you shuffled, or don't let them handle the deck at all, so that it becomes clear that those are your terms and it would be folly to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:33 pm 
Penguin

my main card control is basically the pass and double undercut. If someone asks to shuffle the deck, I fell the palm is a little un natural and rusty for me, so I use the gambler cop. My hand is down to my side in a more relaxed position in which i can after words put it back on the bottom and undercut it to the top. It works all the time even when I'm surrounded becuase people don't look down where my hands are. They make sure that nothing is hapening with the deck when the spectator shuffles the cards. Then i take the deck back with the left hand and i act like i'm squaring the deck when i place it back on the bottom. JUst my idea that works for me all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:07 pm 
Penguin

Well, actually, it's just a matter of palming the card and placingit back where you want it. The spectator won't know, andit's truly effective.
knowing how to shuffle off the bottom of the deck also helps.