View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: parents sarcasim.... errg
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:15 am 
Penguin

I show my parents some of my tricks, they obviously know how i do some of them ( eh hence the age) and act surprised. But a 4 year old can tell they're not the slightest bit awed. Is there any way i can deal with this? beside practicing more.. Its mostly my dad anyway, and grandparents.. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:19 am 
born to perform.

tell them. Just ask them to give you honest reactions, tell them you wont be offended if they arent amazed. And use them to critique your angles and such. But I would just be honest and tell them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:28 am 
Penguin

ill try that! thanks

Post subject: don't want to look lame
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:23 pm 
Penguin

A couple more ideas too:

1. Try practicing every trick you do for them for like an extra 2 days before you show it off. Get it looking as good as you can in front of a mirror and feeling as natural as you can, before you show it.

2. When you ask for their feedback, let them know, "I don't want to look lame when I show this to my friends or other spectators. Can you help me so that I can get it looking good?"

I do this with my family. I show my family the same trick a dozen times before I show it to anyone else. My family has grown very savvy in their ability to watch tricks and find out the secrets, but they've helped me immensely in cleaning up my angles and refining my presentation.

HTH,
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:29 pm 
Emperor Penguin

show them the effect the same way you would show a spectator, dont just go over the moves to make sure they look good, i know my family gets tired of me just asking how this looks to them, practice in front of the mirror and get every aspect down before showing them, that way at least they will be entertained, even if they spot some flaws. then they wiill tell you where you need to work on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:31 pm 
Penguin

alright thanks alot, sounds like a good idea.I just wish they didnt know so much, so i coudl always impress them... oh well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:34 pm 
Emperor Penguin

well remember, your parents will be your best supporters and critisizers because they want you to succeed if they know you truly love doing what you are doing. they will help make you better, my wife tells me where i need to improve, so basically shes always giving me advice :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:33 pm 
Penguin

after you see thier fake reaction just be like
seriously was it okay? i dont wanna look like an idiot when i do this for other people because you dont wanna hurt my feelings, what'd you see?