View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:12 am 
Penguin

xFurby wrote:

excuse me, but have you ever heard of croud control?

Excuse me, have you ever heard of spelling things right?

Post subject: does not sound like an eigth grader
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:22 pm 
born to perform.

nerfsoldier wrote:
As an eigth grader with a pretty good reputation for being a magician, I know just how hard it can be to perform for fourteen year-olds. Here are my main points:
-Only pick people who are pretty easygoing and friendly. Never pick anybody who automatically laughs a little when you ask. That's a pretty good indicator that you're going to have a tough time with the trick.
-Never pick someone who has a reputation for trying to be a tough guy in front of their friends or girlfriend. They will try and show you up.
-Pick your effects carefully. Sleight of hand is always good, and coins and rubberbands are simple. My personal rule is no gimmicks at school, because you never want your gimmick to break or be noticed. One student at my school flashed his PK magnet and Raven about four times and now nobody can use those gimmicks because they will be caught. I usually use cards, just because they're easy to carry and hard to lose.
-Finally, don't do tricks that embarrass people. This is when they will get defensive and start grabbing at your stuff. Nobody wants that.
Working at school can be a great venue, but do it with caution. It will make your life there a little easier.

youre the first eigtgh grader ive ever seen write like this. hahah you could pass for an adult....or are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:11 pm 
born to perform.

if ur not good with performing for kids at school then telling everyone not to isnt going to make u better at performing...and just quitting urself wont help u out...dont discourage other ppl from performing because u suck at magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:29 am 
born to perform.

jmingo1 wrote:
if ur not good with performing for kids at school then telling everyone not to isnt going to make u better at performing...and just quitting urself wont help u out...dont discourage other ppl from performing because u suck at magic

What was that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:25 am 
Penguin

jmingo1 wrote:

hey man dont insult ppl. everyone has their rights to voice out their opinion.

but performing in school can be tough mainly because of the grabbing hands, and ppl who dont cooperate. or ppl who disturb u when u are performing for someone else. in school since most of the ppl there are of the same peers, there wont be much of a muctual respect towards wat u do as a performer. many performers at school are left unappreciated,
Thats the usual problem ppl face when performing at school

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:25 pm 
born to perform.

Location: President of Cool People Clique-now accepting applications
I have NEVER got heckled at school...EVER

I dont understand why people have such a hard time... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:08 am 
Penguin

Starwarsfreak wrote:
I have NEVER got heckled at school...EVER

I dont understand why people have such a hard time... :?

mayb ur just good or confident. some hecklers dont have the guts to critisize or grab u cause they think they might make a fool of themselves. but confidence is very important. remember ur true frens will still appreciate ur effort . its also a good thing to know when to and not to performm, sometimes its just not the right time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:20 am 
Penguin

I've been heckled a few times in school. I feel that when you know most of the ppl that you're preforming to they don't take you seriously. If you walk up to a stranger and pull off a trick then they think that you're either a sorcerer or just a pro-magician that's been doing this for years and years.. However, if you do the same trick to someone at school I feel that they just think that it's some party-trick you've found on google just to show off.. And so they often are critical and more focused to reveal the trick rather than being amazed by it.

But personally I don't really care if some of my friends figure out how some of my tricks are done, because they still can't do it themselves. I see the preforming and heckeling at school as education, as a part of learning. For each time I get better and better at controlling the people I preform for. So I wouldn't wanna discourage anyone in their early stages of magic from preforming in school. It's a great way to start and it's a great learner.

Ofcourse, there are always those persons that can't really take it when someone steals their attention when you do magic. These people always want to be the center of attention and when you for a small period of time take that away from them, they'll get pissed. This is the type of people that are most likely to heckle. And ofcourse, you're more likely to bump into one of these guys in school than in the streets (if you preform for older people that is). But just try to figure out who's the heckler and who's not and you'll do fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

my friends generally ask me to do something for them, and when i do, a crowd gathers. the people that want to watch and are normally "unheckly" and will come and watch, while the hecklers generally stay out of the group. occasionally a heckler will pop into the group, but as long as you have everything under control you should be fine.

hecklers dont generally bother me (unless they grab a card and destroy it :evil: ) and i just preform for them as i would anybody else. when they claim they know how i did it, or if i happened to flash and they call it on me, i sarcastically agree with them by saying and nodding "that's exactly how i did it." the audience then laughs at the heckler for being wrong and so confident (even if he DID guess correctly) and he leaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:56 pm 
Penguin

personally i think it's a great idea to perform at school because it prepares you some what for going out on the street

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:32 pm 
Penguin

people at school always say "do sometin" so i throw a fireball at them and then i tell them to close their eyes and count to five,then open them.when there counting i walk away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:43 pm 
Penguin

I go to Elgin (Dr. Phil. ask a house mom) High and the kids are rough. Like stated before kids think they know it all. and they will grab and try to "figure it out" by force. This is a huge challenge. Thats why young performers need to do it. These are tips I follow.
1. Always have space between you and them.
If posible sit down so you can lift you foot if anyone charges. and
yes it does happen

2. Choose your tricks.
I agree most gimmics are a bad Idea. basic ones and ones you
Can re-make are good ideas. Never bring a tool like
the raven. They always question everything and the first thing
they ask is to remove your outer shirt.

3. You must be able to hand out or switch quickly.
They always question everything. If you say no to anything you
lose them.

4. Use this to see which tricks are more impressive to the laymen.
This is suprising to most performers. A magician thinks a trick is
impressive because they can't figure it out. Kids will react by ADMITING THEY DON'T KNOW!

This is the best advice I can give. Performing for these people will help. It will teach you how to deal with hecklers and how to think on your feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:17 pm 
Penguin

I only do school magic and it's really not that bad. mybe every now and then someone has said something like get a life but thats expected. in terms of the whole grabbing the cards and stuff if you present the trick in the correct manner then people will be to stunned to try anything

Post subject: Re: For All You School Magicians
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:26 pm 
born to perform.

streetmagician2000 wrote:
ccisdaman777 wrote:
a) an adult will not come and just assult you( grab your deck, hand,shirt ...ect.

98.0 percent of the time thats true I actually got deck ripped out of hand during trick and it was a regular deck and he couldnt figure out how to do it so I walked home with a bloody nose and half a deck of cards

join karate lol

-Phil-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:29 pm 
Penguin

i used the advice of exodus earlier in the thread,he said if anyone were to assualt you or just try to tamper with you just throw a fireball at them. I have to say throwing what looked to be a completely impromptu fireball from the tips of my fingertips at an advancing hecklerwas one of the most effective things ive ever performed. best idea ever exodus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next