View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best Way to Respond to Offenses...Say Nothing...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:43 am 
Penguin

When somebody attacks you, I have found that saying nothing is a great response. However, you cannot ignore the attack, just look the dead in the eyefor a beat, and then back at the rest of the audience, and say something like "Moving on." or "Anyways, as I was saying..." or "And now..."

You have to look the guy square in the eye, not a dirty look but just a look of confidence. Then look back at the audience and smile as you continue on. Also turn your body slightly away from the jerk. Body language and confidence are key.

I think this technique works brilliantly. It performs a few functions. It tends to isolate the jerk from the rest of the crowd. It shows the rest of the audience that they can't mess with you and prevents further interruptions. It shows the crowd that you acknowledged the jerk but did not stoop to his level.

Eventually the jerk will just wander off or will try to get back into your good graces by being more receptive. Don't continue to punish him, let him back in the fun. That's what it is all about.

Timing is crucial in this technique. You cannot stare at him too long, just long enough for the rest of the crowd to see that you recognize him. Nor can you look too pissed, a kind of blank look.

Lastly, this technique works really well when you don't have something quick to say. It's better to say nothing than to look like an idiot and end up in a comedic exchange. Maybe the guy is funnier than you and you end up looking like a loser and he wins the day.

Anyways good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:04 pm 

There are a few techniques that work very well, but they all depend on the performer. Your technique here is a very good habit to get into.

Post subject: ... the office space...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:46 am 
Penguin

yeah... this is the "office space" approach:

"hmmmm.... riiiiight"

that kind of dry humor is very popular with today's culture.

Spec: "It's up your sleave!!... that's stupid!"

Performer: (looking at spec. blankly) "uh-hu... yeeaaah..." (snap back to reality and continue).

it's kind of like saying..."well that's.. one way you could do it... i suppose... hmmm.." only in not so many words.

makes them feel childish and question their comment and does the same for the other specs that are watching. Even if their statement was correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:49 am 

Office space is the crack of my office. We're all shamefully addicted to that movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:41 am 
Penguin

always quite handy in the repertoire of the nimble-witted performer is this funny little trick.

calling out "say stop any time!"
you reach out your hand towards a particular spectator, fingers up and palm facing your own face, wiggling your fingers forth and back vigourously in a caterpillar-like motion, like you would do a coin roll with a hot dog bun.

you then simply force the middle finger, using your favourite method, a simple stop trick would suffice.

if the spectator gets offended, i false take the middle finger of the right hand with the left hand, making a funny noise at the same time.