View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:09 pm 
born to perform.

Very well.

I think you will find it is an ignorant few that think wiccans are satanic devil-worshippers. (Great, now the satanists are going to protest on similar lines... We have a few of them here as well.) Certainly that is the case here. Maybe there is a big anti-wiccan media crusade in the US I haven't picked up on. It's kind of annoying to me how wiccans complain so much about being stereotyped, when people often weren't really referring to them anyway. In this case, I doubt when magicians are accused of witchcraft the accusers really have modern wiccans in mind. Then again, I suppose there are some incredibly ignorant people out there these days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:17 pm 
Penguin

I think I understand what you are implying Manic, unfortunatly there are many that believe things that are taught (without researching and are only going on blind faith) through what media and religious teachings have indoctrinated. They feel those that practice wicca are devil worshipers.
Have you ever had a wiccan come to your door and prostelyze? Do wiccan's get their door knocked on to be converted?
I feel sorry for those wiccans that want to tell someone where to go, but heck, they don't have that in their religon!
From the opening statement of this thread,
Quote:
countless times what I do has been identified as witchcraft or as some involvement with the occult or devil incarnate

I feel it is only fair to help educate the difference between devil worship (which was created to contradict the religous preachings of an accepted religon) and what wicca (a philosophical and spiritual journey of an earth based religon, not necessarly focusing on spell casting) and witchcraft (those that focus on the spellcasting and not necessarly the spiritual aspect of the beliefs) is.
To attempt to explain the difference to a spectator may bring an unwanted confrontation, that is not suggested! Though a magician, having the insinuation of those practices thrust upon him/her during performance, may now have an educated (though minimal amount of knowledge) to understand the persons remark and not be insulted or offended by it.
With an understanding of how our audiences are perceiving us and if this is the thoughts of our audiences all the time, perhaps it is best to look at what we are demonstrating to prevent insulting THEIR beliefs.
It is our responsibility to entertain them unless you are attempting to convert them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:24 pm 
Penguin

S omy question is how to do a good levitation and expect people to believ that it's just a trick. I mean, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:46 am 
born to perform.

Consider:

Why do you do magic?

Post subject: Why I perform
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:02 pm 
Penguin

I do magic to entertain, not freak out. I don't like people thinking I have supernatural poweres (I'm very religious). I just love making people laugh and making them think. I like making the possible seem possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:59 pm 
Penguin

LOL! I did Dlites for my really reliious grandma ( we are Muslims) and no she thinks that I sold my sole( Sorry if it is wrong) to the Jinns (spirts)

Post subject: Re: Why I perform
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:42 pm 
born to perform.

TanTheMan wrote:
I do magic to entertain, not freak out. I don't like people thinking I have supernatural poweres (I'm very religious). I just love making people laugh and making them think. I like making the possible seem possible.

I have
So you really think levitation effects are all that entertaining? Do they make people laugh and think? A wacky suspension or a dancing hank can be great for that, but self-levitations just don't suit my approach to magic, and may not yours. They seem altogether too serious and too fake...

Post subject: Re: Why I perform
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:36 pm 
Penguin

TanTheMan wrote:
... I like making the possible seem possible.

Ok... where is the magic in that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:44 pm 
Penguin

Starkindler wrote:
AlanMunro wrote:
Fanatics don't care about logic or common sense. They believe what a preacher tells them and usually won't question it. I may force them to decide that they're not completely convinced that they're views are right. Many people, deep down, aren't convinced their beliefs are right, and will back down if they think acting on those views will have consequences. Beliefs are taught to people. Knowings aren't taught.

Watch out for psychotic people, though - that's a whole other ball game. I avoid performing for them if I can. I don't want to fuel their illness.

Personally I resent that comment. I am a devout Christian myself (and a professional magician!). Keep your bigotry to yourself please.

I understand completely what he's saying. And I am a Christian/Magician combo myself :) There are just some people who take in too many technicalities (SP?) and take everything they've been taught to an extreme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:59 am 
Penguin

I remember david blaine did a tv segment in haiti and he found a guys card and the guy screamed and ran away screaming your a demon, monster. David is all like " I do good magic, not bad magic. come back. I do good magic. LOLOLOLOLOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:11 pm 
born to perform.

When was this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:11 pm 
born to perform.

When was this?