View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Criss Angel Signed Quarter through Soda Can
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:57 am 
born to perform.

The first DVD in the series (all two of them so far) of Masterminds DVDs from Criss Angel, volume one sees Criss meet the creator of the effect Wayne Houchin and get him to give us an extremely detailed overview of the method behind it.
From the blurb:
This effect can be performed Anywhere, Anytime with No special props. That's Right - No Props, No Gimmicks, No Switches and No Set Ups of any kind are required!

The case doesn't lie; this is the single most powerful impromptu piece of magic I've seen in a while.

Effect - 10/10

What could be more perfect than borrowing a can of drink and a coin, getting a spectator to sign (or even draw a picture) on the coin and in two seconds flat ramming it through the base of the can. You show the can is still sealed, there are no holes, nothing funny. In fact, if you listen carefully you can hear it INSIDE the can. You pop the can open, pour the drink out as you wish and as the last drops fall the coin is visible thorugh the drinky holey bit, with the spec's initials/picture on it. It's that clean, it's that visual. The fact that the coin doesn't fit through the opening easily, you'll need to really jiggle it out, just adds so much power to the whole thing. It's 100% clean. Borrowed item magic is strong, very strong. Penetration effects are strong, and combining thw two is a recipe for killer reactions.

Difficulty - 5/10
I know a lot of people have been banging the 'it's-really-really-easy-to-do-drum' but I'm not so sure it's THAT easy. I did this with a ridiculously chilled beer can, nearly messed up a few times because of the condensation of the side. Also done it with a brand of can where the very start of the effect got sketchy quickly. But for these minor faults, find a brand of drink you really like to work with and stick with it, make sure that it's dry and you'll be onto a winner.
The method is easy in priciple, but it'll take a little bit of practice to make it look as good (read: natural) as Wayne or Criss perform it. It's not an effect you can watch in the morning before school and perform at lunch time. There's very small angle problems at the start and near the end, but you show the can from every angle during the effect and you can move from the 1st to the 2nd quite quickly without suspicion.

Teaching - 10/10

If I could give this section 11 just to convey how good the teaching is, I would. Wayne goes over the effect in sections, and goes over each section in deep detail. He shows you the moves clearly, slowly and consicely, and you'll never miss a thing. When he starts a new section, he shows you how the previous one got you there. Every so often Criss throws in his 2 pence worth and gives you some real nice and useful hints and pointers. Because their performance styles differ so much, you get this nice thing happening where Criss will suggest you don't have to that EXACTLY like that, cause he does it different. You even get a section of the DVD devoted to just Wayne's performance of the effect, so you can compare it to Criss's. All the way through the two of them make it clear that they are showing you the method, and that the performance should be you own.
There is some discussion on types of can to use, beer vs. soda, brand names that help or hinder etc. This is VERY useful as not only do you learn this the easy way (that is rather than mess up infront of people), but you also get to see how much of a lightweight Canadian Wayne is when it comes to drinking...

Overall - 9/10

As mentioned in the Difficulty section, there may be technichal issues with different brands of drink. So it ain't perfect. But it's darn near perfect. I'm a massive fan of borrowed item magic, the less I got to lose by taking it out with me the better (right now I tend to take one deck of cards out with me, or maybe a couple of forks and a special coin or two) and to be able to do something like THIS with all borrowed props?! The only I don't like about it is that I didn't come up with it!

Pros:

ALL props borrowed (even the pen if you want)
NO gimmicks
NO switches
NO funny handlings of the props
NO set-up
MASSIVE reactions

Cons:

MINOR angle problems during the start and near the end
MINOR tech issues with occassional brands of drink

My advice is if you're into any kind of 'street' or impromtu performance, buy this. It's an honest to goodness rep maker.

UK Penguin
US Penguin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:05 am 
Penguin

I bought this effect back in July. I recommend it for anyone.

Wow. I didn't think it was possible when I bought it. I sat there watching the DvD with a quarter and soda can by my side thinking "This'll be ridiculously hard..". No way. This is PERFECT. In 2 days, I had it down. The DvD is GREAT, the teaching is the best I've seen.

This is one of my favorite effects.

Post subject: Re: Criss Angel Signed Quarter through Soda Can
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:24 am 
born to perform.

Location: Posts:5479 President and head leader of the cannot join unless you are Serbian club!And also Canada
povallsky wrote:
The first DVD in the series (all two of them so far) of Masterminds DVDs from Criss Angel, volume one sees Criss meet the creator of the effect Wayne Houchin and get him to give us an extremely detailed overview of the method behind it.
From the blurb:
This effect can be performed Anywhere, Anytime with No special props. That's Right - No Props, No Gimmicks, No Switches and No Set Ups of any kind are required!

The case doesn't lie; this is the single most powerful impromptu piece of magic I've seen in a while.

Effect - 10/10

What could be more perfect than borrowing a can of drink and a coin, getting a spectator to sign (or even draw a picture) on the coin and in two seconds flat ramming it through the base of the can. You show the can is still sealed, there are no holes, nothing funny. In fact, if you listen carefully you can hear it INSIDE the can. You pop the can open, pour the drink out as you wish and as the last drops fall the coin is visible thorugh the drinky holey bit, with the spec's initials/picture on it. It's that clean, it's that visual. The fact that the coin doesn't fit through the opening easily, you'll need to really jiggle it out, just adds so much power to the whole thing. It's 100% clean. Borrowed item magic is strong, very strong. Penetration effects are strong, and combining thw two is a recipe for killer reactions.

Difficulty - 5/10
I know a lot of people have been banging the 'it's-really-really-easy-to-do-drum' but I'm not so sure it's THAT easy. I did this with a ridiculously chilled beer can, nearly messed up a few times because of the condensation of the side. Also done it with a brand of can where the very start of the effect got sketchy quickly. But for these minor faults, find a brand of drink you really like to work with and stick with it, make sure that it's dry and you'll be onto a winner.
The method is easy in priciple, but it'll take a little bit of practice to make it look as good (read: natural) as Wayne or Criss perform it. It's not an effect you can watch in the morning before school and perform at lunch time. There's very small angle problems at the start and near the end, but you show the can from every angle during the effect and you can move from the 1st to the 2nd quite quickly without suspicion.

Teaching - 10/10

If I could give this section 11 just to convey how good the teaching is, I would. Wayne goes over the effect in sections, and goes over each section in deep detail. He shows you the moves clearly, slowly and consicely, and you'll never miss a thing. When he starts a new section, he shows you how the previous one got you there. Every so often Criss throws in his 2 pence worth and gives you some real nice and useful hints and pointers. Because their performance styles differ so much, you get this nice thing happening where Criss will suggest you don't have to that EXACTLY like that, cause he does it different. You even get a section of the DVD devoted to just Wayne's performance of the effect, so you can compare it to Criss's. All the way through the two of them make it clear that they are showing you the method, and that the performance should be you own.
There is some discussion on types of can to use, beer vs. soda, brand names that help or hinder etc. This is VERY useful as not only do you learn this the easy way (that is rather than mess up infront of people), but you also get to see how much of a lightweight Canadian Wayne is when it comes to drinking...

Overall - 9/10

As mentioned in the Difficulty section, there may be technichal issues with different brands of drink. So it ain't perfect. But it's darn near perfect. I'm a massive fan of borrowed item magic, the less I got to lose by taking it out with me the better (right now I tend to take one deck of cards out with me, or maybe a couple of forks and a special coin or two) and to be able to do something like THIS with all borrowed props?! The only I don't like about it is that I didn't come up with it!

Pros:

ALL props borrowed (even the pen if you want)
NO gimmicks
NO switches
NO funny handlings of the props
NO set-up
MASSIVE reactions

Cons:

MINOR angle problems during the start and near the end
MINOR tech issues with occassional brands of drink

My advice is if you're into any kind of 'street' or impromtu performance, buy this. It's an honest to goodness rep maker.

UK Penguin
US Penguin

Fantastic Review,every review should be just like this.
keep up the excellent work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:19 pm 
born to perform.

thankyou ronaldinho, I worked hard on it. I was searching for reviews to see what other people had said about it and could only find reviews like:

10/10 this is the best chris angle pwns

or the like. Maybe the mods could suggest a review template, there's another magic forum that uses them and it really helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:41 am 
born to perform.

good review mate. I agree, this effect is absolutely killer. it's great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:28 pm 
Penguin

personally i feel this trick is only good for doing to someone who you already freaked out , cant really put it in words why but i find its trouble some doin to a complete stranger cause they wont "beleive"

Post subject: great review
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:46 am 
Penguin

agreed.... great review!

I find that if I act as though I am freaked out, or puzzled by the effect as I am performing it... then the audience plays right along.

I get all excited when I do this one... as if what I am doing is beyond my comprehension.

Fantastic illusion... buy it.

Post subject: Re: great review
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:56 pm 
Penguin

cfirwin3 wrote:
agreed.... great review!

I find that if I act as though I am freaked out, or puzzled by the effect as I am performing it... then the audience plays right along.

I get all excited when I do this one... as if what I am doing is beyond my comprehension.

Fantastic illusion... buy it.
thats what i do , i look at it like i really did it and i act like i would like i actually done it and not think about the moves

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:28 pm 
Penguin

excellent review. I have had this trick for a couple of months and it is by far my favorite. It is so easy with a little practice and it will blow people's minds everytime. DON'T PASS THIS ONE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:17 pm 
born to perform.

ya i have this its a great trick one night i was watching the dvd and i was sitting there with a coin and a can of pop and i was like how am i suppose to do this! but then i was practicing and its awesome!!a great buy for anyone!