View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cigarette Magic=Good Close-up magic?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:01 pm 
Penguin

Here's a nice magical anecdote for you guys to think about. Certainly has made me think about it.

A few weeks ago when depositing some checks at my bank, one of my tellers finally built up the courage to ask me what the heck is UMSI that my checks are always written out to. So I let her know what I did and told her it is a magic company I order from over in the U.S. because my uncle works their.

She was going to have a deck of cards in her purse for the next time I dropped in.

Well, when I went there last night, I assumed she had forgotten the deck (they all do), and I had forgotten to grab mine from my desk when I left work.

No worries, because I can conjure with a large number of items. So I thumb-palmed a cigarette and headed on into the bank.

I performed my usual cig routine. Which I usually use as filler or impromptu magic. Kind of a fun routine everyone loves, and gets some laughs out of.

Only this was all that I had on me. No coins, sponge, cards. Nothing. So this became my routine for the evening. I spent about five minutes performing this routine, and gave it my all, knowing this was all I had to offer.

Do you know what I found??? I received the same responses from the tellers and one customer that I would with the strong card magic, or mentalism that I perform.

I had an "Oh my god!", "Do it again!!!", "You've got to show INSERT NAME HERE", "How'd you do that?", and "You're scaring me!".

I was completly baffled. I love cig magic, and it's definatly one of my favorite types of magic. But I never, ever, thought I would get those reactions from it.

But the most important, most significant realization I had made, is that I never realized the potential of cigarette magic, until it was all I had to offer my audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:30 am 
Penguin

wow try this
bet someone you can smoke a cig. longer than them without ur ash falling off ok so u incert a tooth-pick into ur cig. ur ash will never fall ,great magic

tis' i the great jordini

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:05 pm 
Penguin

I will be sure to do that maybe I will win some cash. Thanks :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:23 am 
Penguin

I know this is an old topic but i have found that useing an unbent paper clip works better. It's alot thiner then a toothpick.

for anyone else that reads this. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:56 pm 
Penguin

smoking is bad :( :( :( :( :( :? :? :? :? :( :( :(

Post subject: Re: Cigarette Magic=Good Close-up magic?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:43 pm 
Emperor Penguin

bonex wrote:
Here's a nice magical anecdote for you guys to think about. Certainly has made me think about it.

What the edited are you doing passing off my anecdote as your's? :roll: Don't you have any origional performance stories to use, or do you have to use someone else's???

For those wondering what I'm talking about, you can find the origional post here.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:20 pm 
Penguin

Bonex man, that's pretty sad. LoL ... taking someone else's story and making it your own. It's as if you life isn't interesting enough, so you resort to superimposing someone else's reality onto your own, to give you the same feelings that the other person got. Sounds like a good reason to visit a therapist.

Smoking is bad, oh well. *takes a drag*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:04 pm 
Penguin

I think the same could be said for TT magic...

TT magic gets screams and yells more than any other magic that I perform...

the problem is that people expect card tricks when they see a deck.
But they don't expect a bill switch... or a liquid vanish... or a completely clean torn and restored... etc etc etc etc

Also, concerning cig magic. Unfortunately (for the subject) smoking is quickly become a non-public habbit in the U.S. (in N.Y. smoking is banned from ALL public places... including restraunts, and shopping malls)... and fairly soon there will be bans on smoking within X number of feet from public places. This is a big change from the 1940's and 50's (before we knew that it could kill you) when everybody who was anybody had cigs in a case in their jacket pocket.

Nowadays... having cigs in public places, or borrowing from someone is less and less a normal looking scenario.

and besides... they can kill you :lol: And that is a more and more accepted feeling among the public.

But I definitely agree that a great deal of close-up and specifically TT magic is HIGHLY underestimated... concerning the "wow... OMG... that was some @#$%! $#@!#%.... how did you do that" factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:58 pm 
Penguin

If you watch Penn & Teller's [edited]! ... there's really no scientific evidence that second hand smoke increases chances of getting cancer.

Here in Toronto ... smoking was banned from malls, restaurants, bars, and clubs for a long time. It's quite annoying to go out for a cigarette all the time. I miss the luxury of smoking indoors ... ... those were the days.