View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

How often do Hecklers pick on you during your acts?
none 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
less than some of the time 39%  39%  [ 19 ]
some of the time 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
a little more than some of the time 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
most of the time (sometimes not) 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 49
 Post subject: How often to you get "Heckled"
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:43 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys, it's me again. I was just wondering how often to you guys get "heckeld". Also, what do you do to stop it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Almost none. I can only think of two times, and it wasnt that bad. I was able to handle them with no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:10 pm 
Penguin

Good job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:55 am 
born to perform.

Occasionally someone will heckle me. If it's due to my handling, I think about it, adjust my patter or handling, and it doesn't happen again. There are some heckles where there was no real way of avoiding them- those are usually the easiest to ignore or deflect then move on.

That is the most ridiculous range of permitted responses to a poll I've seen in a long time. wth is "a little more than some of the time?" You should be more specific if you want these results to mean anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:00 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
I voted none, not because I've never been heckled, it's just that I've learned how not to get heckled in the first place. It comes mostly from experience. In the past, when I had a huge ego, I would get heckled, and take it personally.

Now, it's just a question of knowing your audience, being able to size them up and ascertain who the potential hecklers might be. Get them involved right away, and amaze, amuse, bedazzle, and befuddle, all before they get a chance to heckle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:55 pm 
Penguin

Yeah... this is a stupid poll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:01 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I can't remember the last time I got heckled. I have a very strong performance, and I don't allow myself to be heckled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:55 pm 
born to perform.

I've been seriously heckled about 3 times in my 4 years of really serious performing. You have to remember that the majority of the time, hecklers arent really heckling you. Many of them think its the role they are supposed to play in a magic trick, its your job to politely and smoothly let them know otherwise and get them to relax and enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:39 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a white room, With black curtains, At the Station
I get heckled every once in a while, but Im pretty good at controling, To me its a good thing becuase I make them look like fools, but in a good way, it adds great humer to my routiens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:42 am 
Penguin

I get heckled all the time. People reach out and take stuff from me and whatever else.

I did a trick with an M5 and a guy told me I was using IT. He then went into a lengthy explanation to his friends about how he could see the thread (he said that since the thread was in my pocket and there's lint in my pocket he can see the thread). Hilarious.

Even funnier, I did a trick for some one else using an ITR. The same guy went, "Holy s***! How'd you do that?"

That aside, my heckler trick is Dustin Baker's Card to Spectator's Wallet. It cost me $30, but it's more than worth it. You can show your specs that your hands are clean through the entire effect. You finish an Ambitious Card routine by pulling the signed card from their wallet (which is in their pocket till the last second).

It kills 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:48 am 
born to perform.

jonathanb510 wrote:
I get heckled all the time. People reach out and take stuff from me and whatever else.

I did a trick with an M5 and a guy told me I was using IT. He then went into a lengthy explanation to his friends about how he could see the thread (he said that since the thread was in my pocket and there's lint in my pocket he can see the thread). Hilarious.

Even funnier, I did a trick for some one else using an ITR. The same guy went, "Holy s***! How'd you do that?"

That aside, my heckler trick is Dustin Baker's Card to Spectator's Wallet. It cost me $30, but it's more than worth it. You can show your specs that your hands are clean through the entire effect. You finish an Ambitious Card routine by pulling the signed card from their wallet (which is in their pocket till the last second).

It kills 'em.

I get heckled constantly. I love it. If they're hekling me, they're out of their safe zone; which means that I've done my job.

jonathanb510, glad to hear that you like my effect. It's my hekler trick to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:20 am 
born to perform.

Even if you have a strong performance people will still heckle you. I have a good way of getting people back in shape if they put an effort into messing me up. Never works though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:26 pm 
born to perform.

volcom101 wrote:
Even if you have a strong performance people will still heckle you. I have a good way of getting people back in shape if they put an effort into messing me up. Never works though.

If it 'never works', how is it a 'good way'? Wouldn't it only be a good way if it works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:35 pm 
born to perform.

Something that might effect the frequenct to which you get heckled: It depends on where you perform (your venue). People who are watching a street performance tend to heckle less that those in a restaurant setting. People in a restaurant setting tend to heckle less than those at a private party. As the venues get more exclusive, the hecklers get more common.

This is just my experience though, but I've never been heckled when doing street magic.

The strength of your performance really is irrelevant (though fewer people will heckle a good performer), it depends on the people you are performing for. Some people refuse to allow themselves to be entertained, because they think it makes them look stupid. These people will heckle anyone, no matter how good they are. Others are just looking for attention, and they believe that heckling you gets them attention. Some just like to argue (because they think they know about magic). With these guys everything is a trick deck and invisible thread, and there's no telling them otherwise.

At some point, dealing with hecklers becomes knowing when to walk away.